Whats the purpose of the Guided Missile?

I don't pillage territory I intend to keep. But from time to time severing a road link can be useful.

I try to tuck my missiles into subs under the icecaps around the word (with an attack sub to counter enemy subs) then use them to initiate a same-turn strike against my enemy. I try to cut the enemy's oil, uranium and aluminium in the first turn or two. After that I use air power to fight a war or attrition (hitting the improvements especially those with valuable resources) After that I use missiles on the last turn before the invasion to reduce units strength below the 50% allowed by air units. The first strike is invaluable in that it allows me to get my planes over their airspace before they can mobilize an effective defence.

I'm guessing they're fun because they're built so quickly. You could get 5 guided missiles up quick and get them to attack. Guided missiles started in civilization 2.

Yes fond memories of II, playing the WW II scenario, having my navy attacked by literally 100's of them in one turn.

Right, you had to wait for the guided missiles to land on your units and sometimes they would come out of nowhere, lol.

They are built quick can get to the front quick and shorten a war that is almost won
Guided missiles in CIV just plain suck. I think I never built even one of them. Wait 'til TMIT reads this, he will basically say the same, but it's gonna be much funnier because I think he really hates Guided Missiles ^^ .

Probably because TMIT is a peaceful man by nature, and would never even consider using nukes...

:lol:

Probably because TMIT is a peaceful man by nature, and would never even consider using nukes...

:lol:

I have watched many civ Lp videos. Absolute zero, Quill18, Sulla, and TMIT. I could have sworn I've seen TMIT using a nuke are two. Though with so many Lp videos watched, sometimes they all just seem to blur together.

I have watched many civ Lp videos. Absolute zero, Quill18, Sulla, and TMIT. I could have sworn I've seen TMIT using a nuke are two. Though with so many Lp videos watched, sometimes they all just seem to blur together.
Pangaea was being ironic CFC ;) . TMIT loves Nukes and won several games with them + Paratroopers.

Macksideshow said:
They are built quick can get to the front quick and shorten a war that is almost won
Guided missiles in CIV just plain suck. I think I never built even one of them. Wait 'til TMIT reads this, he will basically say the same, but it's gonna be much funnier because I think he really hates Guided Missiles ^^ . .

It is a niche use but a purpose nonetheless and I am prepared to defend my assertion.

Your argument is an appeal to authority logical fallacy.

I will give an example where a guided missile has a purpose:

*You are fighting the terminal war towards a domination victory
*The RNG has been particularly mean
*You do not enough quite enough units to take the final city required for victory
*You have some mech infantry enroute but will take 5 turns to arrive
*Being a good CIV player you foresaw this possibility and produced 3 guided missiles in lower production cities that had no hope of producing anything else by the end of the game
*The guided missiles arrive in 2 turns and finish the game 3 turns earlier

I also think there is some use for them when fighting a modern naval war on the other side of the globe to your main naval production. Also, in extreme cases, they allow land cities to participate in naval war.

1. My enemy has no ships, because I sank thwm all on T1 of the war, when they were all stored in a city which I conquered.

2. I wouldn't build Mechanized Infantries but have Modern Armors.

3. Why would I neither have Aircrafts nor Nukes?

1) That is not always possible. An opponent with lots of ships was bribed in against you during the war.

2) I don't see the relevance, Mech Inf was simply an example. How do Modern Amours change the situation?

3) You do have Aircrafts but many of them are damaged from heavy fighting, there is ample SAM Infantry and they are not enough. You have no uranium.

1) That is not always possible. An opponent with lots of ships was bribed in against you during the war.

2) I don't see the relevance, Mech Inf was simply an example. How do Modern Amours change the situation.

3) You do have Aircrafts but many of them are damaged from heavy fighting, there is ample SAM Infantry and they are not enough. You have no uranium.
If I have Aircrafts, Modern Armors and would only need that city, I would sacrifice all Aircrafts not mattering if they die, and modern armors would do the rest.

I also have no idea how I can have 50-60% of the land but no uranium.

Your aircraft are heavily damaged and are shredded by the SAM infantry for very little effect. Your modern armours are then destroyed by CGIII anti-tanks. The city survives with one damaged chariot left. You rage quit.

Ok, you have uranium but you captured it in the conquest and you have used the few nukes you have had time to build.

Top Bottom