Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

109. When warring late game and using corporations, airlift executives into the city as soon as possible and spread the corporation while the city is still in revolt. It gives you gold in your corporate headquarters, but doesn't charge corporate maintenance in the new city until it comes out of revolt. It's a neat way to subsidize the cost of corporate expansion.

111. Need more population? Turn to a corporation. Need more culture? Civ IV has a corporation for you. Whenever you need something in the resource tight modern world, corporations are there to help.

112. Avoid excepting the capitulation of a small backwards weak angry neighbor for peace. If you need to stop the war for economic or un-happyness reasons, or whatever, 10 turn peace or cease fire, then finish them off once you regroup and reload. Those cool new production cities you've just conquered are of little use if they keep going into revolt.

113. OTH, if your going for a quick domination victory, consider vassalizing a stronger civ with a viable modern military if they will capitulate. You can then Dow on someone and let your vassal keep them busy while you roflstomp someone else.

114. KNOW TOUR ENEMY!!!. Being the same religion and all buddy-buddy with the likes Alex, Monty or the Angry Zulu isn't going to spare you their wrath. They will attack you.
That's just how they roll.

112. Avoid excepting the capitulation of a small backwards weak angry neighbor for peace. If you need to stop the war for economic or un-happyness reasons, or whatever, 10 turn peace or cease fire, then finish them off once you regroup and reload. Those cool new production cities you've just conquered are of little use if they keep going into revolt.

Be careful with this tactic. The weak nation will likely seek vassalation to one of the other stronger civs. Then you will have to get into a war with wider scope to get those cities. I would finish them off or capitulate them yourself.

113. OTH, if your going for a quick domination victory, consider vassalizing a stronger civ with a viable modern military if they will capitulate. You can then Dow on someone and let your vassal keep them busy while you roflstomp someone else.

This can get you into trouble too. If your vassal picks up land and/or population from warring, he may break away from you by declaring war on you.

p.s. Otis, do you like my Star Wars/Cubs fusion avatar?

Shulec is correct. Care needs to be taken. I should've elaborated further but I didn't want to write a book. In the 1st instance, if the Civ in question shares a border with someone else, your better off biting the bullet and vassalizing, assuming you can't afford to swallow him whole. It also helps if he's one of those Civs who doesn't play well with others, like Toku.

In the second instance, care needs to be taken also. As long as they're evenly matched, you should be OK. Works really well if the 2 Civs are seperated by water. Less likely that cities will change hands.

PS. Hey Shulec. What's up with those Cubbies? They need to start picking up the pace a bit.

Then again, who am I to be talkin' about someone elses ball club?

I'm a Pirate fan!:D

Be careful with this tactic. The weak nation will likely seek vassalation to one of the other stronger civs. Then you will have to get into a war with wider scope to get those cities. I would finish them off or capitulate them yourself.

That happened to me in my current game - I was stomping on Mansa Creed and he finally offered me Nationalism in exchange for peace (not Vassaldom). I greedily took it, figuring that I would finish him off 10 turns later. Of course, he vassaled to the 2nd-strongest AI with 1 turn left in the peace treaty.

Annoying? Yes. My own fault? Yes. Admirable? Definitely. I didn't feel comfortable taking his last 2 cities until I got Tanks. Mansa bought himself about 200 years of peace with that tech and vassaling to Zara. Considering his plight, he ought to have statues all over his rump empire for pulling that one off.

On the other hand, Zara made peace with me the turn after Mansa's last city fell, AND I built the Taj Mahal. :lol:

When you go to war - you can't have too many forces. :hammer::hammer:

Hit them where it hurts. Then hit them again!

(Faster wars mean less :mad: on the home front!)

Also, read some succession games.

116. When you are at war, remember, it's not all about the war. Don't forget to check for tech-tech trades and tech-cash trades. Near the end of your war, decide if you need more units or if you can start building for your next war (i.e. transports if your next war is on a distant continent) or building to reinvigorate your economy.

117. Learn the early rush.

118. On lower difficulties, take note of your neighbors. If they start with a scout and you start with a warrior, build another warrior quickly. Then send them both over to the neighbors to take his city while building a third warrior, then worker, settler...

119. Whip and chop like crazy. And wear something nice and be photogenic so your citizens can look up to you while you do it. :p

Ok... 2 useful ones at least. :)

120 Ask an AI opponent what he wants for a resourse, then when he tells you refuse him and then offer your same resourse back to him and ask what you can get for that. You normally will get a better deal

117. Learn the early rush.

118. On lower difficulties, take note of your neighbors. If they start with a scout and you start with a warrior, build another warrior quickly. Then send them both over to the neighbors to take his city while building a third warrior, then worker, settler...

119. Whip and chop like crazy. And wear something nice and be photogenic so your citizens can look up to you while you do it. :p

Ok... 2 useful ones at least. :)

"Empress Lemon looks so pretty in that pink chiffon gown as she chops down that forest" - LemonLandNews. ;)

"Empress Lemon looks so pretty in that pink chiffon gown as she chops down that forest" - LemonLandNews. ;)
Hmmph! At my commerce rate, I can't afford chiffon. :p

Hmmph! At my commerce rate, I can't afford chiffon. :p

Okay, well that addresses Chopping. Now what do you reccommend for Whipping? :whipped: ;)

Teach me, give me a gem. :lol:

121. Nuke when ever possible(most civs will capitulate after a few well placed nukes). UN Nuclear Non-Proliferation is your enemy. :viking: :nuke: :scan:

Okay, well that addresses Chopping. Now what do you reccommend for Whipping? :whipped: ;)
Nope. Ain't touching that one. :D
Teach me, give me a gem. :lol:
Ok. Here's two that got me winning consistently on Noble: (With a big thanks to djvandrake.)

122. Get an early Great Spy from the GW? Send him next door as soon as you get Alphabet, preferably to someone more advanced than you. Steal techs like crazy. :D

123. Having trouble winning? Use a smaller map for a while, develop strategies that win, perfect them, and then move up.

Yes, now Miss Useless can win on Prince! :)

Nope. Ain't touching that one. :D

Brilliant idea. :cool:

Yes, now Miss Useless can win on Prince! :)

:goodjob:, but don't go talkin' smack about my friends like that. :)

Here's One: Don't always settle for your starting position, it's not always a bad idea to spend a few turns looking around a bit. Current game, went wandering a few turns and turned my okay start into: Coastal, Three riverside gems, three seafood, corn, and settled on a plains hill with Stone. Oh, and nearby hill popped Iron. Considering how little value the starting mechanics place upon coastal starts (it just doesn't like the water tiles) it can definitely pay to poke around.

Jungle + Fast Worker Armoured Divisions :)P Mad Scientists, I'll throw you a bone)+ UBER Cottage City.

Jungle + fast Worker Armoured Divisions + at least two plantation/health resources + GP Farm (Farn the resources instead)

JUngle + Normal resources = A dark continent of slow infranstructure, have volenteers and whip them! (build workers in groups: 'Pioneers' building roads and groups building infranstrucutre).

If not rushing, have three cities by 1000 B.C. (and at least 2 defenders and 1 workers each). This might be hard, but it is useful.

Check ALL units in your stack to find the one with the best chances: even if it dies you 'Break' the lines and can hit weaker units.

Never build every single building unless you want to flaunt to everyone that you can.

Settle To specialize: don't be afraid for slightly sub-par early placement to have a strong Mid-game military pump or late-game commercial. (Early= hilly resources, Latter is jungled grasslands)

Don't be afraid to overlap: You will play 100 turns with about 5-9 pop per city (unless lucky with resources or have a huge army with HR,) 150 turns with about 13-15, and about 70 with 17-19. Only about 180 or so will you have enough dudes to take everys single tile.

Divide and Conquer: Seige two cities at the same time if possible, then reinforce one with mounted units the turn before the assualt, then take the other.

Stack: Always bring at least 3 of each detterant (Spearmen/Axemen/Chariot;Crossbow/Pikesmen; Promoted gunpoder) in every stack. AT least 2 defenders per city a stack is responsible to capture, and at least 8 turned on the side amount of seige. (Kidding, at least 5 for 40$ cities, 8 for 60% cities. ATLEAST.)

125. Later in the game, after military tradition has been discovered, make sure to check the diplomacy screen before you declare war to make sure target does not have a defensive pact another civ.

126. Before you use a Great Engineer to finish a wonder, check the Wonder/Top Five Cities screen to see if it has been built on the previous turn by the AI. It will be announced after you spend your Great Engineer if it was built on the previous turn.

Top Bottom