How to score the most points?

Civ001

Chieftain
So I am still a newbie at Civilizations IV and I was wondering how do I get the most points? I often play on Chieftain level but whenever I play this game I always seem to be in like place 10 out of 18 player games. I am the most technologically advanced nation in many of my games. But I always seem to be in the very middle of the game when it comes to scoring points. Even lesser advanced nations will have like 1000 points more than I do. Why is that? How do I get the most points of this game?

In game score (the one used for the in-game rankings) is based on 4 components:

Population
land controlled
Techs
Wonders

Population is BY FAR the most important. Land is a clear second. Techs and wonders have comparatively little effect. Nothing other than the above 4 matters.

So to get the largest score, the simple answer is get more cities and grow them bigger.

More cities... more land... more population.. more points :D But its all about win... you can win never being 1st in points.. and lose, being 1st all the game (when some Mansa Musa wins culture :D )

Isn't the amount of points you get also affected by difficulty level you play on?

Your FINAL score (the one you see after you win or lose) is... It includes dificulty and finish date in the calculation. The in-game score on the scoreboard however does not.

In game score (the one used for the in-game rankings) is based on 4 components:

Population
land controlled
Techs
Wonders

Population is BY FAR the most important. Land is a clear second. Techs and wonders have comparatively little effect. Nothing other than the above 4 matters.

So to get the largest score, the simple answer is get more cities and grow them bigger.

The turn you win at matters too. Win earlier and you generally get more points, though you need high population and so forth too of course.

For the OP, a good way to get a very high score is to spread a food corporation in all your cities, so they grow big fast, but also win fairly early.

Again...

"I always seem to be in like place 10 out of 18 player games"

Indicates the disussion is about the in-game score on the scoreboard. Date does not matter for this.

Ah yes, then the turn doesn't really matter, if he's just talking about the scoreboard. But then the score doesn't really matter much anyway.

Yes, doesn't really matter but it can help you see if an AI is expanding faster than normal. Or help you decide if you have a choice of which civ to take out first.

It also maters for Diplo and trading purposes (Especially WFYABTA is turned off then BOTH involved in the deal are in the bottom half of scores).

I have no idea really, all I know is that the most points are best earned when you have more cities built in the land. World wonders add to the points as well.

Top Bottom