Let's Learn Civilization V

...Then I needs oil, so attacked another, then didn't have Uranium, so took another. Science victory was taking to long, ended up nuking my ally for the victory. Feel dirty... :(

Finally got back to my Brazil playthrough for a Culture victory. Focusing on the the cultural technical tree, trying to get to Hotels and got the Archaeologist out in force. Two of the 8 under my cultural influence, the Iroquois and Indonesians resisting somewhat. The Indonesians have denounced me and it looks like they are going to come after me, need to find that balance and get some military units out, at least some ships to intercept an invasion (very thin on military). Currently, pouring hammers into a world fair with no idea how to balance all these needs as I have not played a culture game before.

Last edited:
yesh, these cultural victories take a long time! I put too much into the World Fair but did win it. Meanwhile, purchased some ships and built others after I won the World Fair to ensure I wasn't defenseless against the Indonesians. Then focused on broadcast towers and hotels, Eiffel Tower, Archaeologist, anything to get my tourism up. Also made some inroads with my religion making it the world religion as well as freedom. All the civs are now onboard except Indonesia. They have closed borders and are hostile toward me, making it very difficult. Will keep pushing toward the Internet tech but I hope I can overwhelm them sooner with an International Games production victory. I wish I knew some tricks that can make this go quicker, open to advice.

Last edited:
Indonesia finally gave into my blue jeans. More Steam achievements unlocked :)

Last edited:
Tried my 1st emperor game. Played the Aztecs figuring that I would look for a domination victory with a warlike civ. Neighbours to the Zulu's, my 1st victims....NOT.

I did play right until I was wiped off the face of the earth, trying to get embarkation and a settler lifeboat (without success).

My learnings of this session was that I clearly don't know how to war in Civ and that I will play the Zulu's next attempt because their military units are awesome. And I also learnt to not delay on settling cities as you will not be able to compete with the number of military units that can be produced...

Last edited:
^^I ended up watching your Aztec game--I couldn't help it. It was like watching a train wreck.

When you originally went on the offensive aftert the first wave--I just knew Shaka would bring out the big guns (i..e, Impis).

You never stood a chance, especially with no science.

Riflemen have a hard time against Impis--and you were fighting them with comp bowmen and spearmen.

But congratulations on the valiant effort and remaining calm. I would have been screaming and shouting and my neighbors would have been calling the cops thinking I was killing someone.

EDIT: Look like your Shaka game is stream and not regular youtube. So I can't see it. Good luck.

Lol, thanks. Next game is going better. First stream posted, continuing to stream after dinner...got 4 cities this time...Impis units coming, can't wait! India and Venice on my radar. I'll post the link to the video when I'm back at computer.

Last edited:
^^I look forward to watching. I mean no offense--but one can tell you are new at playing the game. But you hang in there and give it your all.

In your Aztec game you were doomed from the start. Domnination or not--you still need science.

Severe weather where I am so I can't watch your video until tomorrow--but I will.

But some advice--the videos are way too long because spend 5 minutes or more counting three tiles for city placement.

But--you are totally honest when you admit you screwed up and bravely march on. You handled the Aztec massacre wonderfullly. Keep the video comings. I'm enjoying.

But--can you break them up into smaller units (i.e., an hour or so)?

Sure, I use the YouTube steam as it posts the videos automatically, really convenient. Will try to remember to stop the streams every hour. I do remember last time I stopped and restarted, YouTube still combined them anyway...I'll see what happens.

I am very new to the game, so I take no offense. You saw how surprised I was after stopping the first attack when the Impis came...I was firing blanks! The antics and abilities of the Civ are still new and a surprise to me.

Second stream posted, I have prioritized a fight against Venice and amassing the impis and crossbowmen. They have tons of wonders and gold and luxuries and they will be soon all mine!! Gandhi will just have to wait...

Last edited:
^^It's no big deal about shorter recording times. Some folks prefer it. If I only watch half of it, I write down the time and when I go back, I slide to that time.

Yeah--I see you are new to the game--but you ain't afraid! Which is good. I've been playing about four years, but only as a casual player--just to have fun. And I only play at Emperor level.

I've never played dominations games. But--I would think you still need to research pottery first, and eventually you have to get writing and build some libraries.

I look forward to watching your latest game when I have time (maybe not until this weekend).

With all the Olympics, played a game on the laptop by the TV putting the Zulu's on hold. Wanted one that wouldn't destroy me me so tried Korea on Prince with a shuffle map. Went for the science victory and the Ottoman's were relatively nearby but we became allies. The others were the Polynesians, Indonesians which were just waiting to denounce me. Berlin was the large civ and even they denounced me. It all went south why I told Indonesia my army was just passing through (which was true) and I attacked him later to get his denouncing self off the face of the earth! After I picked Freedom, the Ottoman's turned on me and the whole world. Had only one mountain city but got over 3000 science per turn and won a science victory by 1979. Ohh, a couple of turns before I blasted off into space, I launched 2 nuke at 2 civs and missiles at another starting world war III. Couldn't resist :)

Been playing many non recorded games with some success and failure. Decided I would try something different. A Deity game on fractal with standard map/speeds with Babylon. I will surely die but I would keep replaying the same map until victory conditions achieved.

There are mountains which is the good news but I have Poland to the West and Khan to the north....I got to 3 cities and Khan took one back and then Poland backstabed me and cleaned me out :( Is that typical of Poland, he seemed friendly but perhaps I looked too weak...

So I will try again, just like the movie Edge of Tomorrow and see if I can learn from my mistakes...My game file is attached.

If a start next to Poland and Khan is a lost cause, don't be shy to let me know!

Edit: 1st attempt I got wiped out at turn 130

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    502.9 KB · Views: 236
Holy crow....Deity starts with 2 cities...So 4 hostile cities next to me and they are already settling the 3 3rd...I'm not ready for that.

So, going to keep it real. Babylon on Emperor since I haven't won at that level, Edge of Tomorrow attempts until I succeed. Kind of like the Fractal map right now so will stick to that. Will start playthrough in about an hour or so.

Live Stream Channel

Last edited:
Completed my 1st Emperor level victory, Germany was my main nemesis and he ate 2 of my nukes to teach him the ill of his ways.

I actually just got Civ IV on a steam sale and install Caveman to Cosmos. Going to play that for a bit and it's going to be a super blind let's play since I never played Civ IV before. Will be posting updates and streams/videos at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14444105#post14444105

Going to start a new game with Venice again but play it on a Pangaea map on Emperor level. I want to see if I can win but just becoming a super influential and rich force.

Will be streaming and posting this one on youtube

Live Stream Channel

I actually restarted Venice on a fractal map, emperor level, one city challenge. 2 episodes recorded on my channel (linked below). Everybody loved me, city was humming along then chose freedom and all hell breaks loose. Netherland and Babylon resort to war, and others are still tight. 4 of us have the manhaton project and with one city, I fear my science will not be enough. I keep pumping out science agreements...
Playing the end game in a little while.

Last edited:
Just went online to assess the situation and if there was anyway to win this game. Please let me know your thoughts

Some good planning to maximize science yield with a limited population (even for a one City Challenge I think!), I won a science victory!!

I nuked 2 cities in Babylon (the leader) and halved their population...this may have made a difference in the outcome. We were all racing to the science victory but surprisingly, even with one city and no observatory, I could still out science them! I had to get control of the council to repeal the scholars in residence, made some social policy decisions to get the city states to give me science and freedom for the purchase of the components. And the nuclear non proliferation help save me from a fiery Hell.

This was by far the most fun I had playing Civ V, I felt so vulnerable, trying keep friends while others turning on me and wanting to destroy me. A made a defensive pact that complete screwed me as I attacked friends which I never thought could occur. It nearly screwed the game completely. The nuking wasn't just to have fun with an annoying civilization, it was so necessary to hold back a Civ from winning and even nuking Babylon was difficult.

Venice AND a 1 City Challenge. Another Steam achievement :)

Uploaded saved copies as stream was poor. HD will be available later...

Last edited:
Okay, time to go off the deep end. Korea at immortal level, first immortal playthrough. Am I feeling lucky? Am I??

Update: after 6 hours, I am still alive and, I think, well! 4 cities, and took a city, defended against the huns and the damn Ottomans who backstabbed me. I managed to catch up on the science and the episodes ends with me preparing to attack the #1 Civ, the Ottomans. More tomorrow!

Live Stream Channel

Last edited:
Top Bottom