Forest growth and chop balance

Micha

Chieftain
Hi there!

Here´s an idea that struck me under the shower (don´t ask ;) ) about how to handle the forest chops more realistically.

First of all, I have to make two anxioms, which if they are wrong will render my whole idea useless:
1) In Civ4, as in Civ3, forest chops only net you shields (hammers) when done for the first time on a specific tile. This is to prevent the human player from instant wonderbuilding by large stack of workers planting forests and chopping them again in the same turn.
2) In Civ4 your workers will eventually be able to plant forests, as in Civ3.

Now here´s my idea:
With the Python scripting, we got a powerful tool into our hands!
What if we splitted the Forest terrain into evolutionary steps, meaning workers can plant small trees, which would not net any bonus themselves, and after a set number of turns (Python skripting!) these would develop into a new forest. Only this one could be chopped for production boost. This way, scenarios based on weeks/turn would become more realistic, and having an actively controlled wood industry would actually yield some benefits! Downside: If you keep too many "wood farms", the respective cities won´t grow because of a lack of food. This is a minor disadvantage of course, for these size1 cities could become the national wonder factories if handled properly.
Maybe the worker actions of planting and chopping could be linked to some gold cost and much time consumption? And of course this should only become possible after some advanced tech...

Ideas, opinions?

Top Bottom