Spoilers?

Stonegate

Chieftain
What technically is a spoiler and what is there purpose?

Oh, by the way Allan, I've installed GOTM 51 and having a ball! Tough game. Just wanted to thank you publicly for all your help. ;)

A spoiler is a post/thread that will contain advanced information that, as a player, you may not have reached in your game. Like if I told you the end of a good movie that you hadn't seen yet. In competition, the players should not read spoilers unless they've reached the criteria for that spoiler thread.

The reason for concern with spoilers, in case it's not clear, is like this. Suppose I were playing in a GOTM and read a post from somebody who'd had the Zulus swarm them with Impis early. I could then start preparing to deal with that even before I met the Zulus myself, which would give me an unfair advantage.

What they said, really. Just to make it clear, we want the GOTM to be an even competition, with equal conditions for all players - a level playing field. If you start the game with extra information gained from the spoiler post of another player who went before you then you have a competitive advantage over that player. Just as you do if you play part of the game and then reload to play it differently in light of your own new knowledge. Both are no-no's.

Ok. I get the idea that you are not to glean items from spoilers for the express purpose of getting an edge(cheating). Do you really think people don't ? I mean who's to stop them?

Stonegate said:
Ok. I get the idea that you are not to glean items from spoilers for the express purpose of getting an edge(cheating). Do you really think people don't ? I mean who's to stop them?

:jesus:

Now or later.

Stonegate said:

if I understand correctly, the most importand part of the no-spoiler rule is that one doesn't post the spoilers everywhere, so that the people who are willing to play fair don't end up reading the spoilers on accident.

It is far more diffecult to not use illegit information once you have it, than to refrain from getting it in the first place.

An interesting side note:
The "Realms Beond Civ" challenge has a nice way to prevent cheating, as participants are required to describe the course of the game. In fact, ending with the highest score isn't even the most importand.

There seems to be a theme at the moment of people looking for ways to cheat, here, and in the Civ3 and Civ4 GOTM forums. I'm intrigued as to why (and a little weary of responding!) What possible benefit does anyone gain from cheating in a competition with no prizes of any value, other than the respect and admiration of other players? I can assure you that the players with real ability are well able to detect those who can only put in decent performances by cheating, so respect is the last thing they will accord to cheats. While a game description is not compulsory for GOTMs, I can assure you that high performers who don't participate in the spoiler discussions are watched very carefully.

Top Bottom