MilarNES: Birth of A Civilization

I don't want to do it, either, but for some reason there are hardly any posts in this thread, and people send orders very late, in spite of the fact that they know that sooner orders means better chances at getting what you want. Look at Arian, they have the Moai Statues just because he sent his orders nearly the first.
As long as you have 5 or more players, It is Ok. Just force them to remain small and not expand like mad using NPC's etc....

@Those who have yet to send orders: thankfully, said number has dropped much, and the fact that new people are going to join the game makes it more likely that this NES will survive for a couple of more updates, at least. So far, only Immaculate, Dreadnought, Flavius Aetius, Warhead and stalin006 have to send orders. Immaculate is exempt from being subjected to a possible 1st strike due to the fact that this is his first turn, but Warhead is about to lose his nation, because Britannia will turn into an NPC should orders not be received, and stalin006 might receive the 2nd strike. 3rd strike for him will suppose the death of Darwinia Ultima (I can't play 7 NPCs at the same time, especially since there are 19 nations in-game counting the NPCs and Darwinia).

@Those who have sent orders: thank you very much for continuing to spend some time in my NES. Also, the first 1st contact between two rival civilizations is about to happen!

THIS IS THE 7 HOUR WARNING. RESISTANCE IS FU... (whoops, sorry, wrong place) I MEAN, I HOPE THAT ORDERS ARE SENT BEFORE THE DEADLINE EXPIRES (yes Dreadnought, I'm looking at you).

I decided that the culture of Babylon would center around its businesses and traders and so I wrote a short story about trade and business amongst the Babylon in an attempt to share their early culture with everyone.

The Business of Babylon is Business:
Capital Venture and Risk Management in Antiquity

Nabur was a pragmatic man. Cool-headed, logical, and ambitious. Most of all he was not what some would call a ‘risk-taker’. And yet, here he was planning to throw his entire family fortune that had taken three generations to amass into one trade venture that could just as easily wipe him out as it could make him rich.

Nabur studied the oar-boats he had commissioned, the crates and crates of wheat grain, dry rice, cinnamon root and even small ingots of tin. They were worth his entire fortune. Even the rowers themselves were slaves he had purchased at market. Nabur smiled; he liked the idea of transporting slaves. You could buy them cheap, and then make them carry other goods, thereby saving costs on transport. Finally you could then sell them, as well as their burden, at an inflated price at the destination. Nabur was nothing if not a practical-minded merchant.

As he looked over his crates as they were being loaded, he thought again of the risk. Surely there was a way to defray some of the financial exposure he was undertaking. Nabur frowned and uttered a half-hearted prayer to the spirits of the Tigris, his patron spirit for this venture and was surprised to suddenly be struck with inspiration.

Had not the Tigris brought bountiful and healthy soil to the farmers this year? Had the farmers not promised to bring in more crop then any other previous year? Surely they would be willing to invest some of that additional grain in exchange for the opportunity to take part in Nabur’s trade mission.

And so, over the course of several weeks, Nabur visited all the major land-owners and offered them a deal. He would trade them a share in his trading venture for a share in their crop. They had a chance to lose their investment but they also had a chance to win back much more. Meanwhile Nabur was able to defray some of the risk involved in his expedition by knowing he had a secure source of grain income waiting for him when he returned to Ur- although the pay-off would not be quite as high if he succeeded because he would now have to share it.

The visits to the land-owners proved much more fruitful then he had anticipated. Many were expecting a sizeable return on their harvest and felt they had much to gain from Nabur’s expedition. In this way Nabur was able to add to his own capital the capital of several other rich and prominent families of the capital.
Basra would be greater then any Babylon had ever seen- the result of investment by wide-ranging spectrum of well-to-do Ur families and businesses. It was the birth of venture capitalism and the first implementation of business risk management and it would change the face of Babylon trade forever.

OK, guys, you are very fortunate! Apart from the usual suspects (i.e: Warhead and stalin006) everybody else has sent their orders in, even Immaculate (thanks for joining man!) so I will be able to update sooner! There are going to be a couple of changes in the map, and also the first meetings between nations!

I hope that Update 3: The First Words, is up to your liking and that this NES keeps attracting people.

All hail (your nation)! :D

EDIT: What, no "That's so cool, Milarqui!" or "I want to see how well my guys have done!"?

Don't worry mate. Apart from your agression scaring away a few people, if you keep plugging away at this people will join. The problem at this stage is the lack of interaction between different tribes, but i guess that is essentially how such NES work...

Would you like me to add a few details to my orders? I've got 20 mins..

Revised orders sent... I'll draft my UU desc shortly

I will perhaps rejoin post-update.

@ Milarqui: Could you add one EP to my research this turn. I see my EP has gone up to five.

Ahww crap... Nevermind then.

No. (10 characters)

Super Nintendo Land is the only name it should be known by. FOR EVAR!

I'm not bothering, now... I was going to bother, because I wanted for King Bowzer to take over the whole world, with his army of koopa troopas, with the help of general Mega Man.

Top Bottom