Tips on King

Bridog7

Little Monster
I ve won only twice on king and both wins were comeback wins.

Try this :
First turns, put all on production for 4 wariors, and use them for quick exploration and getting huts and barbs.

Once the 4th warior is made, put all on food (unless you are using romans, chinese or Egypt with hanging gardens, in which case you skip this) and grow to 3 population.

Once you have 3 pop, hammer a settler and put it in a nice spot, depending on who you have met, how far they are, and how good you are at rushing.

I prefer making my first city (not the capital) a city that has at least 3 forests and 2 food sources or more so i can make a good deal of archers (chokepoint-securers) and buy bronze-working from the computer civs who offer it for 20-85 gold (i pay 35 max).

Once you have your second city (Capital + settler you made), you'll most likely get your 100 gold settler to make a nice science city having 3 or more sea (or desert if you use egypt).

you should then grow your capital, and have at least one archer in each city (for now, you want to use your turns in a way that gives you most benefit for later, so grab that food and grow!).

Should you not know what to research (new players need to learn) ;
--if an enemy is close-by and doesn't seem to have a lot of defenses, go for iron working.
--if they are further away, and chokepoints are secured so they won't be able to bother you, go for pottery - masonry (free wall if your first) - irrigation (+1 pop if first) - construction (if you have a city with a lot of hills) and then go for alphabet and so on...

you are not going to build libraries early on, unless theres a city that's really worth it (island with 5 or more sea and at least 2 fish for growing)

From there on, just go for Code of Laws and get in a republic so settlers cost only 1 pop, and spam away with settlers!
-Offline means your turns can last as long as you want, so city management can't be a problem :D

You will be able to win from there on, trust me, it's only King, so they won't be that good at science and making armies :p

One golden rule : Never Ever eeeeeeveeeeeeeeer have your cities on both food, hammers and science or gold production at the same time in early game, unless you need 2 more gold for the free settler, but else, never do it!
Its a mistake the ai makes, not players who want to win

Try this :
First turns, put all on production for 4 wariors, and use them for quick exploration and getting huts and barbs.

Once the 4th warior is made, put all on food (unless you are using romans, chinese or Egypt with hanging gardens, in which case you skip this) and grow to 3 population.

Once you have 3 pop, hammer a settler and put it in a nice spot, depending on who you have met, how far they are, and how good you are at rushing.

I prefer making my first city (not the capital) a city that has at least 3 forests and 2 food sources or more so i can make a good deal of archers (chokepoint-securers) and buy bronze-working from the computer civs who offer it for 20-85 gold (i pay 35 max).

Once you have your second city (Capital + settler you made), you'll most likely get your 100 gold settler to make a nice science city having 3 or more sea (or desert if you use egypt).

you should then grow your capital, and have at least one archer in each city (for now, you want to use your turns in a way that gives you most benefit for later, so grab that food and grow!).

Should you not know what to research (new players need to learn) ;
--if an enemy is close-by and doesn't seem to have a lot of defenses, go for iron working.
--if they are further away, and chokepoints are secured so they won't be able to bother you, go for pottery - masonry (free wall if your first) - irrigation (+1 pop if first) - construction (if you have a city with a lot of hills) and then go for alphabet and so on...

you are not going to build libraries early on, unless theres a city that's really worth it (island with 5 or more sea and at least 2 fish for growing)

From there on, just go for Code of Laws and get in a republic so settlers cost only 1 pop, and spam away with settlers!
-Offline means your turns can last as long as you want, so city management can't be a problem :D

You will be able to win from there on, trust me, it's only King, so they won't be that good at science and making armies :p

One golden rule : Never Ever eeeeeeveeeeeeeeer have your cities on both food, hammers and science or gold production at the same time in early game, unless you need 2 more gold for the free settler, but else, never do it!
Its a mistake the ai makes, not players who want to win

Also players who want to win use more in depth strategies. 4 warriors is too much, you don't need so much. 2 is ok, with some civs maybe 3. 4 only with warrior army to take a capital and another to defend. And no, you should avoid this with a lot of civs:

Aztecs, Chinese, Egypt (everytime), Americans, Greeks, Spansih, Indians, Arabs (if you want to horse rush), english, and maybe few others.

And hammer out a settler means you will lose population and go to 1, then wait 5 turns.

The best way is to work on 2 trees and 1 grassland (3 pop) and you will have a settler and 2 population.

It's much easier to win with horse rush, but I won't write it now here.. You can find it. However in King almost every strategy is going to work.. It is so easy, and I haven't found any problems also the first game I played

Also players who want to win use more in depth strategies. 4 warriors is too much, you don't need so much. 2 is ok, with some civs maybe 3. 4 only with warrior army to take a capital and another to defend. And no, you should avoid this with a lot of civs:

Aztecs, Chinese, Egypt (everytime), Americans, Greeks, Spansih, Indians, Arabs (if you want to horse rush), english, and maybe few others.

And hammer out a settler means you will lose population and go to 1, then wait 5 turns.

The best way is to work on 2 trees and 1 grassland (3 pop) and you will have a settler and 2 population.

It's much easier to win with horse rush, but I won't write it now here.. You can find it. However in King almost every strategy is going to work.. It is so easy, and I haven't found any problems also the first game I played

I use 4 barbs to get more huts from other people and explore faster, to make sure i meet (or even better, just see the borders and know where enemies are without them knowing where you are) my foes and know the best strategic places for them to settle, which most likely the predictable ai does...

Knowledge is power, and power = pursuasive :D
-Never noticed that an ai civ can be taunted to give a tech?
--Works better is theres a warior or 4 near their capital :D

Come to think of it, i have played a game using no tech, aside from the ones i got from my tech-farming English neighbour :p

And early cities get more benefits than a capital which usually doesn't have that good locations imo

I use 4 barbs to get more huts from other people and explore faster, to make sure i meet (or even better, just see the borders and know where enemies are without them knowing where you are) my foes and know the best strategic places for them to settle, which most likely the predictable ai does...

Knowledge is power, and power = pursuasive :D
-Never noticed that an ai civ can be taunted to give a tech?
--Works better is theres a warior or 4 near their capital :D

Come to think of it, i have played a game using no tech, aside from the ones i got from my tech-farming English neighbour :p

And early cities get more benefits than a capital which usually doesn't have that good locations imo

Seriously, I think I have played enough games (and 90% sure I have more experience).

Knowledge is power. Wasting resources is not power. If you want, you can build horsemen, or you can build another warrior or two only if you get a huge mainland and you are in the center to explore. In other way 2 is enough and you can explore. And if you move these warriors in the same way, it won't work. If you don't move in the same way, then hard to have all 4 warriors in the same way and if you do, it would be probrably too late to kill an AI.

How many tiles would you move a settler? And where would you choose a good spot? Which civilization?

On King you have a reasonable window before the AI starts exploring & expanding. Thus, if you explore & expand early you can prevent the AI from expanding. However, you won't be able to explore as widely as you could on the easier difficulties - focus on expansion rather than exploration.

On Emperor this window is much smaller, so you will need to ensure you have, or can rush, defense as you expand.

King AI can easily be defeated by a domination victory. I'd play Zulu, since they have great early military advantages.

1) Settle your free settler. Set your first cities tiles to production and build an Impi Warrior. Keep your city set to production and impi warrior.

2) Use your impi warrior to explore along coast lines and take down barbarians. Make sure to get one impi warrior to veteran. Use units from huts to explore, use gold to build your total number of impis to 3. Once you have them, build a veteran impi warrior army and take your first capital.

3) Set your cities to science production. Research Alphabet.

4) If it is 2100 Bc or later use your impi warriors to gather gold from barbarian huts. If it is prior to 2100 bc keep marching to the next cap and take that one as well. (AI usually have archer armies around this time)

5) As soon as you have alphabet set your cities to growth. Once your cap is size 3 set it to production and build a library. Rush the library when you can, try and wait until you get your free settler from 100 gold in treasury. After library is built set city to food, food, science.

6) Set tech to bronze working if you don't already have it from conquering caps.Set your remaining city/cities to growth until they reach size 3. Once it's size 3 build a settler. You should have between 3 and 5 cities now. Set your cities to tech until you get bronze working if you don't already have it.

7) Build an archer in each city.

8) Beeline to code of laws and build a galley. Use your galley to look for ancient wonders. Once you've reached COL, switch to republic, build a settler out of each city. Settle them asap. Try and settle near water. Build archers in your main cities and move them to your new settlements.

9) Set your cities to science and research mathematics.

10) Build up two catapult armies, an archer and a spy. Build a galley for transport if necessary. Take your next capital.

11) From here is just repetition - research new techs, build armies, defend as necessary, focus on tech growth and capturing capitals. This opening strategy should have given you enough advantage over the AI to make losing virtually impossible.

NOTE: When your starting out - save often and save early. You will make mistakes! Learn from them and reload.

5) As soon as you have alphabet set your cities to growth. Once your cap is size 3 set it to production and build a library. Rush the library when you can, try and wait until you get your free settler from 100 gold in treasury. After library is built set city to food, food, science.

I suggest you skip this step. That library is going to bring in a mighty +2 beakers per turn when you're on two grass and one sea. It's really not worth it. If you instead try to build a settler out of every city you can get up to 3 pop quickly (3 pop->2 forests, 1 grass for 5 turns = settler and 2 pop city remaining), settle them and go full science up to CoL, you'll get there faster and with more gold in your pocket. Then you can expand. Libraries really aren't needed or even helpful for a strategy like this. You might want a barracks for that cat rush though.

Top Bottom