Do you guys "cheat?"

mva5580

Warlord
And I use that word I guess because I'd guess some people consider it cheating, some don't. But what I mean is during the span of your games, do you try a strategy, see how it works, and if it doesn't you re-load your game from right before you tried it? Like declaring war, city placement, etc. Or do you consider that off-limits and however the game goes, that's how the game goes?

I tell myself before every game, what ever happens, happens and that's it, but it never seems to happen that way :). I will admit, I am not above reloading when something goes wrong... like when during war I didn't see the fat stack of transport ships within range of making land right outside my city, and my destroyers (the same ones that should have alerted me in the first place) don't take some of them out, and I can't organize a defense in the city they are most likely to attack, and so they end up taking my city. All because my sentry didn't detect them for some reason, even though they were within range. I save every other turn during war time just for that reason, just incase something was overlooked or missed.

The closest I come to cheating is that I sometimes kill a game if I get a really, really bad start. But I am getting more like gm650: The bad starts are starting to be the games I relish b/c in SP games, even on deity, it is just all too easy.

I used to play Civ3 "Iron Man". No reloading. Ever. Not even if you mis-click with the mouse, and move somebody to the wrong tile. Chalk it up to "the fortunes of war", misunderstood orders, whatever.

But playing CivRev, I seem to have more "WTF? moments". :dubious: So I always have a recent save to drop back to, from which I can pull out a bigger stick. :trouble:

I used to have a really bad habit of doing this, but I haven't in the past two months. I'm proud of myself for it.

I typically don't save that often. If I remember, I might save the starting position so I can retry the whole game. I occasionally "cheat" by saving just before I attack a capital in the beginning of the game (i.e. "do they have archers yet?"). There are many times I wish I could redo a turn 'cause I hit the wrong button (typically in diplomacy or settled in the wrong spot). IIRC one of the PC Civs saved at the end of each turn so it was trivial to reload when you made a bonehead move.

I almost never reload a game for that, but I do regen starting maps quite often if I get a really bad or simply boring start position. Once I saved before every goody hut, and kept reloading until I got a new tech :D

In CivII and CivIII I would reload constantly. I would wage entire wars without loosing a single unit because I reloaded if I lost. I then tried some of the Game of the Months with CivIII, and one of the rules was no reloading. I have discovered that the game is much more fun without reloading, and rarely reload now (mostly because it takes too long :p). I do restart maps from the beginning, occasionally, but its usually because I have learned something new that I want to try rather than that I'm loosing.

In civrev, I never reload in singleplayer, unless I had to leave, and want to continue of course :D

But the ai is so weak, you don't need to try reloads.

I try not to cheat. And I'm proud to say I havent.

I never do this, for 2 reasons:

1. I only save when the game tells me to (games only take around 3 hours, saving isn't really worth it).
2. It takes the fun out of most games when you cheat.

I tend not to ever reload unless I make an incredible blunder such as misclicking my civics before a revolution or accidentally deleting a stack of units. Besides that I never do.
So what if the AI captures a coastal city, if it were important to me I would have defended it. It just means I get to slaughter their entire stack and build a couple buildings back. Maybe its because I play huge maps/marathon, but I don't place much value on individual units or cities. My important cities are defended well enough by units or land/shiphull barriers that they can't be captured by a standard AI invasion force. If such a force is in my borders and I cant stop it, then the aftermath will at least be somewhat entertaining.

I have played civ1-4 for years, now also playing CR. For some reason at critical points I would save my game. But...I never went back and reloaded. So why do I save? Guess it "focuses" my thinking.

Typically in CR so far if something bizarre happens, whether I clicked wrong or did something totally dumb I just call it a bad job and start another game. The thing is if you reload you know stuff you didn't before so it's not the same game.

I hope to start playing online CR (handle Bamdorf) so I try to play as if I were. Don't take an hour to figure out what to do, for instance. Fortunes of war.

I save the game only when I stop playing. In Civ where you don't have to hurry, I think about my decisions twice. I have used this kind of cheating in Oblivion, to admit it. :D

@Rugbyleaguefan: Amen to that.

I should add that at some times I see a clear possibility of different strategies...i.e. build up peacefully or go to war (grand strategy decisions, not tactics.) So I save at what looks like the choice point and try to play it both ways.

Well, after much consideration I must say that describing anything that one does in a single player game that affects no one else cannot be "cheating". You bought the software and are entitled to enjoy it however you wish. MP, or GOTW comparison stuff, different story of course.
And telling people "I always win on Deity, yadda yadda" when you are reloading without telling people that is what you are doing is misleading.

If I take back a play in Free Cell who cares. Course, I do always reset my stats so that I start my "streak" over.

Maybe in CIV IV I would regenerate the map if I felt I started in a poor spot. But in CIV REV? There is absolutely no need. People who play CIV IV on Warlord or Higher can easily beat REV on Deity - probably before the AD's.

I used to play Civ3 "Iron Man". No reloading. Ever. Not even if you mis-click with the mouse, and move somebody to the wrong tile. Chalk it up to "the fortunes of war", misunderstood orders, whatever.

But playing CivRev, I seem to have more "WTF? moments". :dubious: So I always have a recent save to drop back to, from which I can pull out a bigger stick. :trouble:

@ PADMA I had a lot of WTF moments in CIV III:lol::crazyeye: but I have played many games with that decree..whatever it is, so be it, it does make one stronger:goodjob::king:

i enjoy CIVREV but wish it had just a couple of options to change things up:shifty::thumbsup:

Gramps

Top Bottom