GamePro Preview

This changes things alot if your 1 source of Oil can only support 5 tanks, things are totally different on the clutter front.

Depends on a few factors:
1) How dense are resources? If they are plentiful, then this won't have a great impact.
2) How many units need resources? You can build pretty good armies with no resources in Civ IV.
3) How many units per instance of a resource? Are there other factors that can increase it (certain techs)? If Iron is 5, then are other resources similar?

What's most ironic though, the majority of Americans agree that Lincoln was their greatest president, yet America had gone through their darkest times under him during the Civil War as well.

Civil War put an end to the pathetic acts of slavery... a dark, but shining moment in U.S. history (unless you are pro-slavery). You're hatred of Western culture is obvious, and the only propaganda confused individual here is yourself... perhaps talking to a wall is your best bet to have something actually listen to you.

Good points say1988.

In this http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62739 review it states 1 unit per resource using swords as an example.

In this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99021-Civilization-V-Offers-New-Strategic-Combat it says "Units are no longer destroyed if they lose a battle, which means that civs can spend much more resources on maintaining their armies as opposed to cranking out new units" which is very interesting and it goes on to quote Dennis Shirk whom I assume is with firaxis as saying "We wanted to pull combat out of the cities, and make every unit important."

This one http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6253246/civilization-v-impressions-first-look?page=2 says "units will take longer to produce and will eventually come to have upkeep costs associated with them" and says "generally speaking, you and your neighbors will have fewer military units in play than you might have had in previous games in the series, and they'll last longer and be more valuable."

I think it all seems to point towards less units overall, and perhaps the potential cluttering is taken care of.

I have to say that I love the idea of having resources directly tied to number of units as it gives you a reason to want to capture / trade for more that wasn't previously there.

Your point about non-resource units is very good, I mean what could archers need other than wood for bows and arrow shafts, ummm maybe stone or some metal for the arrowhead? But then again a couple reviews do mention higher gold maint for units too which could be the limiting factor on these units instead of resources.

Anyway I guess this is a thread of it's own, I suppose I should go search for one hehe.

In this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99021-Civilization-V-Offers-New-Strategic-Combat it says "Units are no longer destroyed if they lose a battle, which means that civs can spend much more resources on maintaining their armies as opposed to cranking out new units" which is very interesting and it goes on to quote Dennis Shirk whom I assume is with firaxis as saying "We wanted to pull combat out of the cities, and make every unit important."

hmm.. this is a very good concept. you could have a unit of Tanks which is named the 6th army to attack Stalingrad ( and fail) then the 6th army could retreat all the way from that area to Berlin gradually getting smaller and smaller, then it gets destroyed just outside Berlin.

can you imagine how fun that would look?

In this http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62739 review it states 1 unit per resource using swords as an example.

IGN gave the number at 5 per resource, so right now it's probably either undecided or not known for sure. But 1 through 5 per resource is the spectrum.

1 is far too few, unless they plan on spamming resources. I would go with at least a few, for the sake of the 'fun factor'. Or make it on a sliding scale (more resource you have, the less each additional provides), so small civ's don't get smashed to bits by larger ones, or ones with more resources (after all they said this was one of their goals, that big civ's cannot crush smaller ones easily).

Tom

IGN gave the number at 5 per resource, so right now it's probably either undecided or not known for sure. But 1 through 5 per resource is the spectrum.

1 is far too few, unless they plan on spamming resources. I would go with at least a few, for the sake of the 'fun factor'. Or make it on a sliding scale (more resource you have, the less each additional provides), so small civ's don't get smashed to bits by larger ones, or ones with more resources (after all they said this was one of their goals, that big civ's cannot crush smaller ones easily).

Tom
At this point it's all guesswork, but it's possible that the #units/resource is dependent on map size, a larger map meaning more available units makes sense.
Of course you would also expect more iron resources on the larger map, but maybe the two things scale differently.

So, 1 per resource might be reasonable for a duel size, but if you are playing a larger map 5 per resource works better.

Personally I hope this is a custom game option to allow me some variability, i.e. to play games such that some are more unit constrained than others.
As I say just guesswork at this point.

Wu Zetian?...it should be Qin Shi Huang or Tai Zong

No, I'm glad they chose Wu. She was a remarkably, very able woman. Under her, Cinese power, culture and finances flourished. I don't understand the opposition to her. Is it because she was a woman?

Öjevind Lång;8997569 said:
No, I'm glad they chose Wu. She was a remarkably, very able woman. Under her, Cinese power, culture and finances flourished. I don't understand the opposition to her. Is it because she was a woman?

No,she is definately a remarkable woman,but to represent the ancient history of china ,I think she is not suitable. Especailly now Civ 5 only gives one leader for each empire ,if there are two or more ,i don't mind give her a place

It seems the leader of China in CIV5 is very unsuitable as people have complained about it for 7 pages.

i don't mind having a Chinese leader a woman. its just more eye candy for us males. if they make her look good that is...

Male/female who cares? As long as the civ under her leadership feels different than the others, I will be happy.

i don't mind having a Chinese leader a woman. its just more eye candy for us males. if they make her look good that is...

Wu started as an emperor's concubine and must have been striking since she become so influential. On the other hand, she reigned until old age, so Firaxis can take it either way.

I really dont see how Wu Zetian is a good choice for china's leader people have been talking about how remarkable it is for a woman to work her way to the top, but given the circumstances it really isn't.
Wu Zetian took the throne after usurping it from her own son, which isn't even that difficult considering she was regent at the time, and then ruled for 15 years before being overthrown a year before her death.
As for her actual reign, it has been used for propaganda as why woman can/cannot run a country so often it is difficult to say if she was actually a good leader or not, but it seems that her reign wasn't really remarkable one way or another.
To put it simply, the only thing that stands out about Wu Zetian is that she is a woman, and while that is somewhat remarkable I'd much rather play as someone who actually has some sort of historical contribution.
And maybe its just me, but personally I think its a greater achievement to rise from being a poor peasant to being emperor (Liu Bang/Han Gaozu, and Zhu Yuanzhong/Ming Taizu), than from being empress to being regent to being emperor.
Even if you wanted an atypical leader I would go with someone like Zhu Di (the Yongle Emporer) of the Ming dynasty, who is definitely a "different" choice but is very historically significant (his greatest achievement was overseeing Zheng He's expeditions, which is one of the great explorations of the time and done by a famously inwardly focused nation, but he also drove out the last remaining Mongols from China and annexed Vietnam as a province).

I would say Wu Zetian is ok for being Chinese leader. Firaxis knows well about Mao, at least in civ3. Look at that Stalin head portrait behind Mao in modern era. I'm sure Mr. Chao made it for dear Mao.

It might depend on map-size, tech level or improvements. In CIV cottages grew with time, mybe now you'll be able to upgrade mines or breed horses to get more resources.

Spoiler Large quote :
smgx27
Chieftain

smgx27 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
smgx27
View Public Profile
Send email to smgx27
Find More Posts by smgx27
Find all threads started by smgx27
Add smgx27 to Your Contacts
Add smgx27 to your ignore list
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:20 AM #128
Öjevind Lång
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgx27 View Post
Öjevind Lång is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Öjevind Lång
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Öjevind Lång
Send email to Öjevind Lång
Find More Posts by Öjevind Lång
Find all threads started by Öjevind Lång
Add Öjevind Lång to Your Contacts
Add Öjevind Lång to your ignore list
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:19 AM #129
smgx27
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Öjevind Lång View Post
No,she is definately a remarkable woman,but to represent the ancient history of china ,I think she is not suitable. Especailly now Civ 5 only gives one leader for each empire ,if there are two or more ,i don't mind give her a place
smgx27 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
smgx27
View Public Profile
Send email to smgx27
Find More Posts by smgx27
Find all threads started by smgx27
Add smgx27 to Your Contacts
Add smgx27 to your ignore list
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:52 PM #130
player01
Chieftain

It seems the leader of China in CIV5 is very unsuitable as people have complained about it for 7 pages.
player01 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
player01
View Public Profile
Send email to player01
Find More Posts by player01
Find all threads started by player01
Add player01 to Your Contacts
Add player01 to your ignore list
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:22 AM #131
Mathalamus
Byzantine Emperor

Mathalamus is online now Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Mathalamus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Mathalamus
Send email to Mathalamus
Find More Posts by Mathalamus
Find all threads started by Mathalamus
Add Mathalamus to Your Contacts
Add Mathalamus to your ignore list
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:39 AM #132
Thyrwyn
Guardian at the Gate

Male/female who cares? As long as the civ under her leadership feels different than the others, I will be happy.
"We are creatures of the twilight. But it is out of our race and lineage that minds will spring, that will reach back to us in our littleness to know us better than we know ourselves, and that will reach forward fearlessly to comprehend this future that defeats our eyes." -- H. G. Wells, 1902
Monarch, Marathon, Large, Big & Small, 10+ AI
Thyrwyn is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Thyrwyn
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Thyrwyn
Send email to Thyrwyn
Find More Posts by Thyrwyn
Find all threads started by Thyrwyn
Add Thyrwyn to Your Contacts
Add Thyrwyn to your ignore list
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:16 AM #133
Öjevind Lång
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathalamus View Post
Wu started as an emperor's concubine and must have been striking since she become so influential. On the other hand, she reigned until old age, so Firaxis can take it either way.
Öjevind Lång is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Öjevind Lång
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Öjevind Lång
Send email to Öjevind Lång
Find More Posts by Öjevind Lång
Find all threads started by Öjevind Lång
Add Öjevind Lång to Your Contacts
Add Öjevind Lång to your ignore list
Unread Mar 20, 2010, 08:43 AM #134
Deezee
Chieftain

I really dont see how Wu Zetian is a good choice for china's leader people have been talking about how remarkable it is for a woman to work her way to the top, but given the circumstances it really isn't.
Wu Zetian took the throne after usurping it from her own son, which isn't even that difficult considering she was regent at the time, and then ruled for 15 years before being overthrown a year before her death.
As for her actual reign, it has been used for propaganda as why woman can/cannot run a country so often it is difficult to say if she was actually a good leader or not, but it seems that her reign wasn't really remarkable one way or another.
To put it simply, the only thing that stands out about Wu Zetian is that she is a woman, and while that is somewhat remarkable I'd much rather play as someone who actually has some sort of historical contribution.
And maybe its just me, but personally I think its a greater achievement to rise from being a poor peasant to being emperor (Liu Bang/Han Gaozu, and Zhu Yuanzhong/Ming Taizu), than from being empress to being regent to being emperor.
Even if you wanted an atypical leader I would go with someone like Zhu Di (the Yongle Emporer) of the Ming dynasty, who is definitely a "different" choice but is very historically significant (his greatest achievement was overseeing Zheng He's expeditions, which is one of the great explorations of the time and done by a famously inwardly focused nation, but he also drove out the last remaining Mongols from China and annexed Vietnam as a province).
Last edited by Deezee; Mar 20, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Deezee is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Deezee
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Deezee
Find all threads started by Deezee
Add Deezee to Your Contacts
Add Deezee to your ignore list
Unread Mar 21, 2010, 12:34 AM #135
scpe
Chieftain

I would say Wu Zetian is ok for being Chinese leader. Firaxis knows well about Mao, at least in civ3. Look at that Stalin head portrait behind Mao in modern era. I'm sure Mr. Chao made it for dear Mao.
scpe is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
scpe
View Public Profile
Send email to scpe
Find More Posts by scpe
Find all threads started by scpe
Add scpe to Your Contacts
Add scpe to your ignore list
Unread Mar 21, 2010, 02:46 AM #136
Infantry#14
Emperor

Yuck
appearantly, Wu Zetian looks like the equilvalent of Victoria in Civ 4 or Catherine in Civ 3

http://www.weplayciv.com/node/193
Infantry#14 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Could we all plz STOP WITH THE WU ZETIAN CRAP AND TALK ABOUT THE REAL GAME!:mad:

WHO CARES IF A LEADER IS MALE OR FEMALE OR EVEN WHO THE LEADER IS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!:mad:

THIS THREAD IS FOR THE GAME MECHANICS NOT WHO THE LEADERS R GOING TO BE!!!:mad:

Isn't it both, it's a game preview comment thread. We also don't have a lot to talk about because they're leaving things cryptic.

Top Bottom