The BUY TWO COPIES of Civ 5 petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmy101

Emperor
Dubious that I am on the power of online petitions, I'll give one a crack.

With the announcement of layoffs at Firaxis, which are, let's face it, very probably due to money problems somewhere up the chain, I'm starting to get worried.

Since no lay-offs at other Take Two studios have been announced it may well be a case of PC developers vs. Console developers that got Firaxis marked for the chop. Console developers have a lot bigger scope for profits.

Unless Civ 5 is a huge success, and we can prove that the market for PC games is there and worth investing in, we could lose studios like Firaxis who are very much primarily about PC gaming. This would obviously be a horrible thing. I've worked at two studios where their success of the next game dictated whether the studio would be shut down afterward, both of which experienced a similar spell of redundancies leading to the game's release, so I'm not getting paranoid without just cause.

Imagine a world where EVERY PC game is a cross-platform game ported or co-developed for consoles primarily. That means FPS games, racing games, or at best watered down strategy games.

This trend has already started, and the turn-based strategy fans have already taken a beating as games have become more consolecentric.

It's literally been since Civ 4 that I've been awaiting a PC game release like this. How can it be??? That five years has passed and only ONE single game has truly 100% appealed to me (instead of being some compromise or something 'I might be able to get into'). It so happens to be the next iteration of the previous game to appeal to me in this way.

It never used to be like this. But this is what's happening to the PC games industry. As much as I enjoy a zombie kill-fest on Left4Dead that's not why I have a gaming PC. It's to play the kind of games that just wouldn't work or be marketable on a console. But as time goes on there are practically no games aimed at the type of gamer I am (used to be X-Coms, Fallouts and all manner of stuff? Where are they now? FPS games, that's where!)

Firaxis are one of the last that still go strong with the same untouched gameplay that I enjoyed as a kid. The only ones not afraid to say 'NO! TURN BASED STAYS' and for this they should be supported to the ends of the earth by any turn-based nostalgic like myself.

So firstly I'd beg those who are boycotting Civ 5 due to Steam to reconsider. Whatever your opinions on DRM and digital ownership and whatnot, surely you're a PC gamer by heart if you're a Civ fan. Surely regardless of a bit of inconvenience and perceived invasion of privacy or anonymity is better than losing the PC gaming we all love altogether? Surely it's possible to make a concession when the 'money grabbing evil' you percieve is very probably a whole different case.

Secondly I plan to buy two copies of Civ 5 on Steam, gifting the second copy to someone who wouldn't buy it otherwise. Not a strategy game fan, I dunno try and convert someone, but I'll make sure it's someone who would never buy Civ 5 so it definitely counts as an additional sale.

Paying for two copies is a small price to pay because I'll get more from this game than any game I've played since Civ 4, I have faith in that.

So yeah, JOIN ME! Or whatever.

Bah, internet petitions never work. ;D

No!
I will not buy two copies of civ5 because of your petition, which has thus failed as you predicted. :lol:

Uh...however...I will buy two copies of civ5 because I want to, and since we have 4 civ players in our household that number may rise once prices drop. (if we like the game)

I haven't decided which versions I will buy yet as that will depend on the contents of any limited editions sold in stores.

So firstly I'd beg those who are boycotting Civ 5 due to Steam to reconsider. Whatever your opinions on DRM and digital ownership and whatnot, surely you're a PC gamer by heart if you're a Civ fan. Surely regardless of a bit of inconvenience and perceived invasion of privacy or anonymity is better than losing the PC gaming we all love altogether? Surely it's possible to make a concession when the 'money grabbing evil' you percieve is very probably a whole different case.

Sorry, but you're adressing the wrong persons.
It was 2K's/Firaxis' decision to make Steam mandatory, thus trying to force consumers to give up their rights.

I agree that most probably the number of lost customers due to Steam will make 2k miss their planned sales figures.

But this is not the fault of the responsible customers, but the fault of the company trying to shove unwanted so-called "features" down customer's throat.

If they would have chosen to make Steam optional, they would have got both groups - the ones who like or at least accept Steam and the ones who won't buy Civ5 because of Steam. Bad, bad, bad business decision. :(

Now, bad actions come with the risk of being punished - in this case due to missing sales figures.
That's the way it is, and if I have to chose what is more important for me - my rights or Firaxis' further existence, than I have just to say: "Has been a nice time with you, guys, and all the luck for your future. Bye bye."

Bah, internet petitions never work. ;D

This one for sure will not work for me.

I'll buy one copy for myself and one as a gift for a friend

Blahblahblah

Okay, I don't think I've ever been so blunt in an internet discussion before, but your words are like so venomous and sickeningly righteous you've annoyed me to the point where all I can say is that you sir are a grade-A dick. Plain and simple.

That you would invite the collapse of a studio that's done nothing but provide you with (presumably) games you love just because of a small consession of installing a 50 k app is just astonishingly brutal.

Your argument is circular. They HAVE to use Steam to STOP themselves from going under. And yet you punish them for this, causing them to... what? see the error of their ways? go under? well haha, didn't that backfire!?

If they would have chosen to make Steam optional, they would have got both groups - the ones who like or at least accept Steam and the ones who won't buy Civ5 because of Steam. Bad, bad, bad business decision.

Hello, yes we've appeased the people who wouldn't have bought our game because of Steam, but now we also invite A :):):):) TON OF PIRACY and then what? go under. Well haha, didn't that backfire!?

Or let's do some sums, shall we?

Pirates > People who get all whiney about Steam.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell me for ONE millisecond that this is a "Bad, bad, bad business decision."??? SERIOUSLY???

Idiotic. Sorry but your argument is built on vapours of ill-informed hysteria and misunderstanding of what 'consumer rights' means and you're equally to blame as all the pirates in the world for the collapse of PC gaming. I mean this genuinely and sincerely. Well done. Must feel nice to be such a righteous **** ;D

Moderator Action: Don't flame other members. Stay civilized.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Sorry, but you're adressing the wrong persons.
It was 2K's/Firaxis' decision to make Steam mandatory, thus trying to force consumers to give up their rights.

I agree that most probably the number of lost customers due to Steam will make 2k miss their planned sales figures.

But this is not the fault of the responsible customers, but the fault of the company trying to shove unwanted so-called "features" down customer's throat.

If they would have chosen to make Steam optional, they would have got both groups - the ones who like or at least accept Steam and the ones who won't buy Civ5 because of Steam. Bad, bad, bad business decision. :(

Now, bad actions come with the risk of being punished - in this case due to missing sales figures.
That's the way it is, and if I have to chose what is more important for me - my rights or Firaxis' further existence, than I have just to say: "Has been a nice time with you, guys, and all the luck for your future. Bye bye."

This one for sure will not work for me.

Cut off your ear to spite your face, huh?

Look, this is just the typical kind of restructuring that happens in companies from time to time. Most likely they were weak links or temp workers. It's really non-news, except that it's vaguely related to Civ5, and therefor reported upon over on Kotaku.

Still, get off your high horse. I know you're one of the brave, holding the banners high against the most innocuous DRM systems known to man, but that doesn't mean you still won't buy the game. You're obviously interested in the game, otherwise you would have stopped following it or visiting the Civ5 forums. If you plan on pirating it, then you're the very reason any kind of DRM is necessary. Even then, to repeat the point ad nauseum, the picked by far the most loved option of gamers (outside the echo chamber that is this relatively small community).

Not that it matters. Steam has a well earned & excellent sales record, and chatter outside of the echo chamber that is the CivFanatic community is huge for this game. I'd be surprised if it doesn't set record sales for the series. Think back on the more popular (and more justified) Modern Warfare 2 boycott. Didn't affect a thing. A small group of ardent fans got upset about a relatively small change, and the larger community still bought the game in droves.

Or the Left 4 Dead boycott. Then, they were boycotting a sequel being released "too early," like they had some kind of special system for knowing just how long a sequel should take. Once again, small group of ardent fans got upset over something (even more trivial), and the larger community bought the game more than the first.

Right now on the Dragon Age forums, they're in major meltdown mode because a sequel was officially announced. There was also a small change, and... sensing a pattern?... the smallest yet most ardent fans threw a fit.

Or how about non-gaming stuff? Remember the internet furor over Snakes on a Plane? Movie made zilch at the box office.

:king: lemmy101, I wouldn't worry. These 20 people are a non-issue, that only got reported on because it was topical. Pre-sales are already strong for Civ5, and even in the CivFanatic community, most people don't care about Steam. Check any of the polls that have been brought up on the subject. The "Steam is an anagram of Saten!" people are minority on a smallish website. A very loud minority, but angry people always protest the most, especially online. It's not like the majority who can't wait for this game are going to post "OMG, everything is okay!" topics. We're hear just following the news and wondering what got into the drinking water.

I won't be buying 2 copies, and if I did I'd keep them both. I want Babylon, but I also want CE edition and the box etc.

I'm not worried about sales at all. Did 20 people walk into work, then got sent packing? Or did 20 peoples contracts end? I don't know what really happened. I've read that civ iv sales were epic, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same. Also I see more people picking this up because of steam, then people not getting it because of steam.

Well, I already pre ordered the Deluxe Edition so I did something already. If you want to guarantee a second copy of Civ V bought is cheaper to did what I did: bought two copies of the Civ IV Complete during the Steam sale at US$10 and gifted away to friends, trying to get them hooked. You know, first hit is free.

...I agree that most probably the number of lost customers due to Steam will make 2k miss their planned sales figures.

Not even close. The number of people who would not buy, expressly because of Steam, are outnumbered easily by the people who will buy it because it is on Steam. Not sure if there is a way to measure it, however.

Steam is a marketing goldmine, which of course is why 2K chose that route.

On topic - I won't buy two and probably won't buy until the first price cut, but that is what I do with most of my games.

I FOR ONE DO NOT WANT THREE COPIES OF CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION.

The one will probably be sufficient, though I've avoided it altogether so far, at least it will now have hexes.

It is unfortunate for your purposes that civ IV/the rest of the older versions are now so cheap, but in those sentiments I'd recommend buying a half-dozen copies of civ IV and giving to friends rather than wasting money on a game that so far seems to promise less.

The prices we are being charged in OZ. I'll be paying for 2, but only receiving one. So I guess I'll be doing my bit for the cause, whether I want to or not.

The one will probably be sufficient, though I've avoided it altogether so far, at least it will now have hexes.

It is unfortunate for your purposes that civ IV/the rest of the older versions are now so cheap, but in those sentiments I'd recommend buying a half-dozen copies of civ IV and giving to friends rather than wasting money on a game that so far seems to promise less.

:confused: Are you sure you are in the correct sub-forum?

Don't knock it till you try it. Hopefully there is a demo, and you can give that a whirl, or try it out at a friends house. After that, knock away ;)

I'm sure it won't be exactly like previous games, but then again each has been different from the last. Beyond 1upt and hexes, and global happiness, and larger workable, everything roughly the same. I think if your into war, you'd probably like the new way, I'm personally a builder, and so far haven't seen much change or improvement in that aspect. However I like how it's been and don't mind, and I think I may war more now, for better or worse.

I think he means he owns civ rev, and wouldn't buy two civ V's, because to him they are the same as rev. He is insulting the game :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom