Preorders, DLC, and Bears oh my!

I don't understand why anyone would want to preorder a game that is in unlimited supply so long before release anyway. Generosity to the publisher?

i.e. It's not as if Steam is going to run out of stock on release day and say "Sorry, you should have pre-ordered".

Well, I didn't foresee a ton of other pre-order options popping up.

That and I'm huge on Babylon:), and they are (or were at one point, no?) connected to Steam pre-order exclusive.

Sure, but it's not as if the ability to preorder on Steam is going to disappear any day now. Even if you were to assume there were no other pre-order options at all, what advantage would there be to preordering now as opposed to, say, one week before the game releases?

I think there are only 2 or 3 games I've ever pre-ordered and every time it was because I wanted to ensure I didn't miss out on the first day.

Sure, but it's not as if the ability to preorder on Steam is going to disappear any day now. Even if you were to assume there were no other pre-order options at all, what advantage would there be to preordering now as opposed to, say, one week before the game releases?

He was excited and made a mistake, human nature. Don't be too hard to him, it happened to others in the past, me included (I had never bought hellgate london had I known how the game was before. I bought it before reading a review, just for the promise of "diablo in 3d" :()

(I had never bought hellgate london had I known how the game was before. I bought it before reading a review

Glad I'm not the only one, though for me it was "Templars slaying demons in the London Underground."

But I am unclear about whether or not I will be able, as a brick and mortar diehard, be able to pick up a copy of Civilization V, install it, and then go around collecting all of these DLC perks from Steam and D2D. Both of them are releasing their content on zero day as part of their offers, but can I buy my copy elsewhere and then get the DLC from them (with appropriate remuneration)? Or will I have to wait several months?

Because the game uses Steamworks, you can be sure that no matter where and how you buy it, you'll end up with the same access to DLC that everyone else does. So if you buy a boxed product from a B&M store, you'll still be able to buy DLC via Steam the day it's released, just like the people who purchased the game directly from Steam to begin with.

Greg, I'll repeat here again. What of us early adopters who immediately purchased a copy via Steam? Can we expect a similar level of content as the D2D deal? I'd appreciate some love for supporting Firaxis and 2K games from the word, "Go."

:)

The Steam preorder comes with its own bonus, which is the Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia Map Pack. It's up to you to decide which bonus you think you like more. When I give you that description of exactly what the CoC Map Packs are, you should be able to better decide.

Because the game uses Steamworks, you can be sure that no matter where and how you buy it, you'll end up with the same access to DLC that everyone else does. So if you buy a boxed product from a B&M store, you'll still be able to buy DLC via Steam the day it's released, just like the people who purchased the game directly from Steam to begin with.

Sounds good, however there is still the question about Babylon... Now when it is not steam exclusive anymore (D2D has it also) will it be released as a DLC?

Because I saw no disadvantage either, considering "Civ5" or "Civ5+10 bucks worth of content" seemed like reasonably expected options with nothing new popping up later. So, it just came down to, "I have the money and YAY CIV"

The Steam preorder comes with its own bonus, which is the Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia Map Pack. It's up to you to decide which bonus you think you like more. When I give you that description of exactly what the CoC Map Packs are, you should be able to better decide.

For some of us, though, a chance at an informed decision is well out the window. :(

they're going too far with these DLCs!
it seems like they've taken the game apart from what we've been getting and selling it piece by piece. core civs like babylon, scenarios that we used to get with the game are now all being sold piece by piece.
i hate it!

they're going too far with these DLCs!
it seems like they've taken the game apart from what we've been getting and selling it piece by piece. core civs like babylon, scenarios that we used to get with the game are now all being sold piece by piece.
i hate it!
Look at it this way. Back in the day it was way easier to develop games since it required a lot less resources. Right now they have spend much more resources to actually give the franchise a major overhaul. The day 0 game will still be complete, but now they focus less on the extra's because they focus way more on the core.

So all in all, the extra's will be there, just you have to pay more to get it. I for one could not care less about map packs, so I will not get that. More leaders I can agree with, so I will get those. From there on, I want to see what they release next so I can make a decision on what to get then. No way will I buy minor DLC updates that add enxt to nothing like standalone resources, techs, buildings or units. I want quality for my bucks.

That sounds like a fairly small preorder bonus compared to free DLC, but if it's unique to Steam preorders, I'm satisfied with my purchase. :D

I don't understand why anyone would want to preorder a game that is in unlimited supply so long before release anyway. Generosity to the publisher?

i.e. It's not as if Steam is going to run out of stock on release day and say "Sorry, you should have pre-ordered".

Generosity to the publisher and developer. It's common practice to measure a game's potential success based on how early and often it is preordered. I wanted to support the franchise.

The only question remaining is what do bears have to do with anything? O_o

I'm very glad to hear that 2K will be providing a list of vendors and their pre-order bonuses...when I finally pre-order at the last possible moment I want it to be an informed decision. :crazyeye:

Greg, I will repeat my question as it appears you might have missed reading it.

Is this website of yours going to explain why 2K feels it necessary to charge Australian's twice as much as anyone else? And why certain versions are region locked from us being able to purchase them (D2D Deluxe for one)?

Or can we just expect another month of silence on this issue?

The only question remaining is what do bears have to do with anything? O_o

Yeah, I was wondering that since the beginning. I even textsearched for "bear" to be sure that I didnt miss that.. however, maybe its some unique english language usage that I am not aware of.. I am not a native speaker..

Dale: Pricing and availability works differently for different outlets and regions, depending on what and where you are talking about. I don't have the exact details on each individual situation, but if anything changes or games are available in new outlets, I'll let you guys know.

Is this website of yours going to explain why 2K feels it necessary to charge Australian's twice as much as anyone else?

Payback for inflicting Rolf Harris on the rest of the world obviously.

It would seem 2K Greg didn't notice my question, so for the sake of an answer, I'll reiterate it here:

I was wondering if it would be possible that the $100 collector's edition would include every single scenario (Cradle of Civilization) and civ (Babylon) so that people have the choice of getting a complete game upon release?

Top Bottom