Preorders, DLC, and Bears oh my!

And there was nothing else new in Warlords or BtS except a few new civs and maps now was there? :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Just wait to see how much the DLC will cost. Let's get enough to match those expansions the best we can and you'll see how much it ends up costing you.

Actually, BtS added a lot of really broken mechanics, and a hell of a lot of Civs. Warlords on the whole added a couple of new mechanics that were OK, and 8 civs IIRC? Warlords was decently priced for what it was, but considering BtS, and how that would get sold as DLC, it is really difficult to keep the cost comparable between DLC and expansion IMO.

It hasn't been confirmed how they will manage the distribution of the soundtrack. I assume that they will provide a ZIP with MP3's, but it's also possible that they have some mechanism through which you can burn the soundtrack onto a blank CD.

Well in my case it will end up in iTunes either way... "some mechanism through which you can burn the soundtrack onto a blank CD"? You mean like something that forces you to do that? :crazyeye: Or a possibility to do so? Which doesn't make any sense, I mean you can always do it with your iTunes, WMP etc. anyway, no need for some mechanism... Either way I don't want to buy blank CD's.

They should clarify that too.

I am so very confused. Here's a fundamental question I'd like 2K to answer: "Will there be civilizations or map packs that are EXCLUSIVE to certain digital retailers?" For example, will it only be possible to obtain Babylon via Steam? I am hoping the only EXCLUSIVE elements for a particular retailer are the price they charge or what they include with the base game for free. Otherwise this reminds me of one of those pranks where an album has exclusive bonus tracks when you get it at a particular retailer. Please don't pull one of those.

On the tariff thing ...

Tariffs are taxes that the government places on imports. It has nothing to do with the prices that private companies decide to charge. So basically the FTA is an agreement on what governments will do, not what businesses will do.

People have already tried taking up Steam's regional pricing with the ACCC and have been told that there's nothing illegal about it, see for example: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1479542&r=24802026#r24802026

I am so very confused. Here's a fundamental question I'd like 2K to answer: "Will there be civilizations or map packs that are EXCLUSIVE to certain digital retailers?" For example, will it only be possible to obtain Babylon via Steam? I am hoping the only EXCLUSIVE elements for a particular retailer are the price they charge or what they include with the base game for free. Otherwise this reminds me of one of those pranks where an album has exclusive bonus tracks when you get it at a particular retailer. Please don't pull one of those.
Hello Skyder,

The answer to your question is: Yes, Babylon can only be obtained as pre-order bonus by ordering the Deluxe Edition from Steam or Direct2Drive. For a detailed overview of the different pre-order packages being offered, by whom and for which price, see this post.

The rest of the DLC, if and when it becomes available, will be available for all users, regardless of whether they bought Civ5 to begin with. (Whether or not Babylon will be available as DLC later has not been confirmed or denied).

Mercade

Hello Skyder,

The answer to your question is: Yes, Babylon can only be obtained as pre-order bonus by ordering the Deluxe Edition from Steam or Direct2Drive. For a detailed overview of the different pre-order packages being offered, by whom and for which price, see this post.

The rest of the DLC, if and when it becomes available, will be available for all users, regardless of whether they bought Civ5 to begin with. (Whether or not Babylon will be available as DLC later has not been confirmed or denied).

Mercade
Basically the questionw as if Babylon will be availabe for everyone at one point. Your answer is no, you need to buy the deluxe edition. Then you say that Babylon might be available to everyone in the future.

Basically you are not answering the question ebcause we do not know at this point if buying the deluxe edition is our only chance to pick up Babylon.

I have a question for 2k Greg. What is the point of charging a loyal fan base extra for DLC before the game has even been released? Please give me a straightforward answer.

I have a question for 2k Greg. What is the point of charging a loyal fan base extra for DLC before the game has even been released? Please give me a straightforward answer.

What kind of answer do you want him to give you? I don't even understand the point of injecting emotionally charged language like "loyal fanbase". By doing so, you basically turn what could have been a rational discussion into an emotional one. They aren't doing it to spite you, it just makes sense financially.

Plus nothing they are charging for BEFORE the release is actually "dlc", unless you consider the entire game to be DLC. The Cradle maps are retailer-specific preorder incentives, and Babylon is a "feature" of the deluxe edition. Remember, the Deluxe edition is optional, you can opt not to purchase it.

Now, I agree that 0-day DLC is kinda crummy (I wish Babylon was part of the standard edition), but it's got nothing to do with you being loyal or disloyal. They will profit from it, plain and simple, don't take it personally.

Uhhh... it increases revenue. Duh?

Big expensive high-quality products are looking for alternative mechanisms to get more than the flat-rate $50 of revenue from dedicated customers who really like the game.

Put yourselves in their position, if you knew for a fact that there where millions of people out there willing to pay for anything that bears the title Civilization, wouldn't you try to market as much as you can and "milk" it? It's not greed, it's capitalism.

Uh...loyal fan base? Can someone define for me, what is un-loyal fan?

Uh...loyal fan base? Can someone define for me, what is un-loyal fan?

It's a person that plays Civilization and pretends that is the best turn-based strategy game, but then goes behind Civilization's back and says the same thing to Europa and gossips about Civilization.

Hello Skyder,

Mercade

Unfortunately this did not answer my question. Let me rephrase it to make myself more clear. Will there be DLC civilizations that are specific to a particular retailer? For example, will I only be able to get Babylon DLC from STEAM while I can only get some other hypothetical DLC civilization from Direct2Drive? The thread you referenced seemed to indicate that there was an Asia map pack exclusive to Amazon while other retailers have a Mesopotamia map pack. Does this mean the ONLY way to get the Asia map pack is through Amazon? Or will all retailers offer that map pack.

Finally, as a general comment to the other posters on this thread, let's avoid doing 0-day DLC bashing on this thread. There are plenty of other threads for venting on that. I'd like to keep this thread constructive and informative.

Will there be DLC civilizations that are specific to a particular retailer?
No. As far as we can tell. There might be retailer-specific map-packs though.

For example, will I only be able to get Babylon DLC from STEAM while I can only get some other hypothetical DLC civilization from Direct2Drive?
No. Babylon is not DLC, its part of the Deluxe edition. You will get it if you buy the deluxe edition, no matter which retailer you purchase from.
[Unclear if they will also release it later as DLC.]
All post-release DLC will be purchaseable no matter which version of the game you have or which retailer.

Does this mean the ONLY way to get the Asia map pack is through Amazon?
Unclear, but quite possible.

Basically the questionw as if Babylon will be availabe for everyone at one point. Your answer is no, you need to buy the deluxe edition. Then you say that Babylon might be available to everyone in the future.

Basically you are not answering the question ebcause we do not know at this point if buying the deluxe edition is our only chance to pick up Babylon.
Unfortunately this did not answer my question. Let me rephrase it to make myself more clear. Will there be DLC civilizations that are specific to a particular retailer? For example, will I only be able to get Babylon DLC from STEAM while I can only get some other hypothetical DLC civilization from Direct2Drive? The thread you referenced seemed to indicate that there was an Asia map pack exclusive to Amazon while other retailers have a Mesopotamia map pack. Does this mean the ONLY way to get the Asia map pack is through Amazon? Or will all retailers offer that map pack.
Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear or didn't answer your question.
Answer insofar as currently known:
  1. Babylon can only be obtained by getting the Deluxe Edition from Steam or Direct2Drive
  2. Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Asia can only be obtained through Amazon.com (not other Amazon sites)
  3. Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia can only be obtained through Steam.
  4. It is not known whether above mentioned bonusses will be released as DLC later (although they might).
  5. All DLC that will be released later, will be available to everybody, regardless of where they bought the game.

It's a person that plays Civilization and pretends that is the best turn-based strategy game, but then goes behind Civilization's back and says the same thing to Europa and gossips about Civilization.

Interesting...

Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear or didn't answer your question.....

[*]Babylon can only be obtained by getting the Deluxe Edition from Steam or Direct2Drive

If it's true that we can get Babylon only from Steam or Direct2Drive it's an outrage. Babylon is one of the nations I (we?) expect in every Civilization series.

What kind of answer do you want him to give you? I don't even understand the point of injecting emotionally charged language like "loyal fanbase". By doing so, you basically turn what could have been a rational discussion into an emotional one. They aren't doing it to spite you, it just makes sense financially.

Plus nothing they are charging for BEFORE the release is actually "dlc", unless you consider the entire game to be DLC. The Cradle maps are retailer-specific preorder incentives, and Babylon is a "feature" of the deluxe edition. Remember, the Deluxe edition is optional, you can opt not to purchase it.

Now, I agree that 0-day DLC is kinda crummy (I wish Babylon was part of the standard edition), but it's got nothing to do with you being loyal or disloyal. They will profit from it, plain and simple, don't take it personally.

You're right of course. I was just getting used to the idea of Babylon being a DLC and the news that there were already 2 more civs not included with the standard edition caused a knee jerk reaction.

And I do understand that their purpose is to maximize profits, I just hope that we don't have to pay $5 - $10 for every single new civ, unit, building, etc.

You're right of course. I was just getting used to the idea of Babylon being a DLC and the news that there were already 2 more civs not included with the standard edition caused a knee jerk reaction.

And I do understand that their purpose is to maximize profits, I just hope that we don't have to pay $5 - $10 for every single new civ, unit, building, etc.
Adding different civs is very different from adding units or buildings. Adding, say, Babylon only affects people who want to play Babylon, while adding (non-cosmetic) units or buildings would force segregated multiplayer/would affect everyone who plays Civ 5.

Top Bottom