I'm a man without a Civilization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the germans hate it...? Ohhh, I've been wrong all along, V must be terrible. :rolleyes:

In Germany, Germans think you're dead wrong. They much prefer cIV BTS to watered down, mass market appealing ciV.

http://www.civforum.de/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=7512

Put down your poms poms and take off your rose coloured glasses please. ;)

Moderator Action: Such comments are inappropriate and do not add to the discussion, thanks. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Don't doubt it was. Civ4 designed by the same lead designer behind Civ3 basing core mechanics off a 5 year old game. It was III.5
Civ4 had far more depth than Civ3. As I said earlier, playing Civ3 was formulaic. There were many more choices in Civ4. Still, unlike Civ5, Civ3 at least challenged me. I think that this may be because production bonuses have a much bigger effect in an SoD game than a 1UPT. The Civ5 AI is simply lost.

Hyperbole much? AI needs work but it can do a lot of things even the Civ3 and 4 AI can't, like using seige units properly.
Hyperbole? No. As I said, Civ2 didn't leave its unit standing around until they died. As for siege, Civ5 doesn't know how to use it; like every other unit, it sends it out to die. Although far from good, Civ4 was reasonably competent with siege. Civ3, of course, had no clue whatsoever. It was a little bonus you got when you conquered a city.

Civ5's epicness is its scale. You don't fill out your landmass right way, tech pace moves at a slower pace due to lack fo tech trading which invariably favours humans.
Ah. You DO like a game in which you do nothing. :p Actually I find the inability to claim land and the funny little empires on the minimap to be quite annoying - although that's minor.

As for tech trading, while humans certainly know how to use it to better effect than the AI, AI-AI trades more than make up for this. Try turning it off in Civ4; it really cripples the AI. Minor point though, and one that can easily be compensated for by increasing the bonuses slightly. The main thing is that it removed an interesting part of the game. I have no idea why they did it. Possibly to eliminate Civ3-style trading exploits? Even without it, plenty of them are back. Selling resources or gpt before declaring war, for example.

I appreciate the return to Civ3 aesthics in Civ5. Heck, even the map itself is reminiscent of the tonality and visual look of the cityview in Civ3, except its all done in real-time.
Agreed about the aesthetics. I too thought that Civ4 was a step back in this department. IMO, the graphics are the single best thing about Civ5. It still needs a bit of work (forests, rivers, TPs) but on the whole it's a big improvement.

Then there's not much to talk about. Vassal states and religion are 2 constants among Civ4 fans who keep mentioning it as the pinnacle of Civ4 design aesthics.
I'm not a Civ4 fan; I'm a fan of games that have depth and challenge. I was excited by Civ5 and actually bought a new computer so I could play it. Had I known what was coming, I would have chosen something else.

I don't mind vassal states, and I think it will be far more interesting/balance once it gets into Civ5, probably via an expansion pack focusing on city state diplomacy (one aspect of Civ5 that felt unfinished)

Relgion though I could do without. It's a crutch for human players in multiple dimensions. Economically, and diplomatically. Hey i'm you're friend, but really, let me move my army over here. Still same relgion, we're friends!
Agreed in general. Certainly religion doesn't fit into the Civ5 Diplomatic system. Problem is, I have no clue what that system might be. :crazyeye:

To the OP: Wait a year or two until there are some expansion packs and mods released. Until then play a Paradox game. Real strategy gamers own at least one Paradox game.

Oh the germans hate it...? Ohhh, I've been wrong all along, V must be terrible. :rolleyes:

Your sarcasm is not welcome, thanks. It isn't constructive or funny in any way, shape or form.

This is just another example of people's dissatisfaction with ciV. The German Civ playing community is quite large so I think this is pretty significant to see that it's not just Civ Fanatics that has a high level of disappointment with the game.

Gaming is a big industry there. German companies produce many excellent boardgames and Germans are well known for their quality craftsmanship. Therefore, I think this poll is quite enlightening but not altogether surprising. Germans expect and deserve better for ciV. As do we all.

My very first post in this thread responded to the OP.

I usually dismiss anyone claiming that ciV lacks complexity (for I know it does not) - people just need to learn the game.
I'm sorry dude, but that comes out from a guy who struggles on Prince, while huge amount of people can only get somehow challenged on Immortal+ How can you demand from others to "learn the game to see its complexity"? We're already on top, and there's nothing there, except warwarwarwarwarwarwarwarwar.

I still remember how unbelievably hyped on vanilla Civ4 I got when I've read a Peaceful walkthrough with Gandhi - when a guy won I think cultural without building a single unit - I was amazed by the choices and possibilites in that game.

In Civ5 there's nothing but warfare. Sure you can fly to space, go cultural or diplo - but without bashing some skulls you're a toast, and the 1upt combat gets old really fast, even on Diety.

And seriously - no bugs? I'm sorry to be condescending on you, but since you're struggling on Prince then perhaps you didn't even notice them? Like neverending peace treaties, invisible rivers on the map, multiplying resources/disappearing luxuries? Like the game forcing you to choose build in puppet-stated city that's been given to you as a part of peace treaty? Like graphical artefacting, which happens sometimes and we all could see that on 2kGreg's live preview? Like the fact that starting 150-200 turns into the game you have to restart the game every time you want to load, otherwise it crashes? Like when you'll load the game the textures stay bare and you have to scroll over the uncovered world to reload them properly? And please, please don't even get me started on AI's behaviour during war :hammer2:

Sole fact of being able to effortlessly win every single game from the beginning, moving from King to Deity is enough of a hint that something is terribly wrong here. I mean, to start playing new Civ release on King? And move to Deity in one week? That's just wrong mate.

No bugs whatsoever, everyone loves Civ5 and it's perfectly balanced. Right. That attitude is really giving me the creeps.

10. I went back and played a game of Civ 4 BTS ... and didn't like it anymore. I missed being able to buy tiles. Now what am I going to do? I'm a man without a Civilization.

I sympathize. I don't have Civ V yet, but just reading about/watching Civ V games, and seeing its features, has turned me off Civ IV. Oh well... at least I'm over "one more turn" syndrome until Civ V is ported to Mac.

Your sarcasm is not welcome, thanks. It isn't constructive or funny in any way, shape or form.

This is just another example of people's dissatisfaction with ciV. The German Civ playing community is quite large so I think this is pretty significant to see that it's not just Civ Fanatics that has a high level of disappointment with the game.

Gaming is a big industry there. German companies produce many excellent boardgames and Germans are well known for their quality craftsmanship. Therefore, I think this poll is quite enlightening but not altogether surprising. Germans expect and deserve better for ciV. As do we all.

Agreed. Of course, we forum members have an ethereal connection with other fanatics across the globe :lol:

@OP:

Agreed on many points. Frankly, I only have DX9, so I do not know about that.

@Charon:

The fact is that many people disagree with your point of view, and many people agree with your point of view. Personally, I would like to agree to disagree with your point of view for reasons stated in countless threads.

I still don't get why people want Civ 4.5

The concepts in 4, are played out. do you guys really just want more happiness /health whack a mole and religion with better graphics? That's what a console game is (see Madden,Guitar Hero )

That's not to say CiV doesn't have problems, it does. AI needs work. Some information are hidden and too hard to find.

We should be pointing those out and offering suggestions rather than asking for them to re-write CiV as CiIV Part II. One of those things is likely to happen and its certainly not going to be a code re-write.

Great post. I couldn't agree more. To further your point, many comparisons are being made to cIV BTS. Comparing a game with several patches and two expansions to a brand new one is stupid. At least give them a chance to improve the AI and fix the bugs first.

I prefer CiV much more already simply because of the 1 upt system that has made war infinitely better. For everyone writing off the game as being "dumbed down", well, it doesn't get much "dumber" moving a huge stack of units with every possible counter into enemy territory and ramming it headfirst into their city. Wow, some really tough decision making going on here.

CiV lacks soul.

Diplomatic interaction with leaders is no more compelling than one's intereaction with the End Turn button. Any feeling of acheivement seems to be perpetually around the next corner. The intricacy and challenges associated with applying different strategies have eroded away.

Sure appealing to the mass market is understandable. Only show them some respect by providing them with the product they deserve and which you are capable of making.

CiV feels like a mimed, poorly produced Top 40 single that will get (and has already gotten) old in a matter of weeks. While cIV was a harmonious and complex orchestral piece that changed subtly with every performance. Have we all become so obtuse?

What about trying Immortal and only go for a few city culture or any other none military victory?
Done.

Simply you can't avoid war forever. Someone will DOW on you and so two are the ways:
1) You have no troops = you lose.
2) You have troops = dumb AI is dead, game over.

Tried to go deity yesterday it's the same <snip>. Yes, it's possible to achieve different victories (like space or culture) anyway you are always forced to wage a war, one way or the other.

This game is broken. Maybe it's wonderful in multi or maybe it will become wonderful with patches or some AI rewriting, who knows. I only know i needed tons of time and practice and luck to win deity on IV, and now i can win deity in V just after few games and two weeks just because AI is totally crap (too easy to make gold, too easy to win wars, too easy to gamble with peace treaties... and so on).

:rolleyes:

Moderator Action: Please don't swear on these forums, thanks. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

So weird. Like, I'm not sure which is more broken, Civ 5 or the odd arguing tactics of its proponents.

For instance, you see Dexters here, who in almost every post uses terminology like "civ 4.5" or "civ 3.5". I mean, he calls civ 4, civ 3.5, and then alter on (many times) makes arguments that people who don't like civ 5 wanted a civ 4.5

Does.. that mean we wanted civ 3.75? But time has shown that a lot of civ 4 players (not me) didn't really like civ 3 as much.

He also seems to think that any argument of 'why is this worse than civ 4?' is just the arguer wanting a better version of civ 4 instead of a new game.

So, I hate to be the one to say it, but that's what sequels ARE. That's why it's a sequel. If this was a real time strategy game with rhythm based combat using mouse-bongo's I'm pretty sure that would also be right out.

Even then, that isn't the entirety of the argument against how silly this claim is. The problem is that what people liked about civ 4 was its many facets, whatever those are. They feel there are less facets in civ 5. It isn't that they have different facets, but that there are less of them. LESS. The only way to really express this in a discussion is to list them, or point out areas where improvements could be made, and the previous game in the line is a really good point to start with.

I'm not going to complain that civ 5 lacks complexity, and then talk about how it should be more like supreme commander where you have an avatar that slowly builds your cities with magic goo. I just talk about other games I know that worked kinda like it, and things they've done. For instance, civ 4.

So, that's dexters. Then we have charon2112. I feel dexters is mislead, but I honestly think charon2112 is being a jerk a lot of the time. He's made fun of Germans, he's been condescending about people not knowing how to play the game, and then used himself losing on prince as proof of its capabilities. This is surprisingly juvenile behavior for someone on what I rather think of as a respected web site.

My beefs:

1. Claiming that the poll in his favor has no bias that would sully it, but every counter example clearly does.
2. His argument that there are no bugs is only supported by his claim that he doesn't experience them.
3. His argument that the game is complex is only supported by his inability to win at certain times.

If he wasn't so vocal I think he'd end up simply being marginalized.

Moderator Action: Please refrain from assuming that other posters are jerks, thanks. :)

I totally feel the guy that started this thread, can't help but to. But am I a man without a Civ?<no>. Alas, so much excitement on my part- wasted! I actually gave up BTS forever after the release... But now I'm back till the patch, and maybe even longer. I hope my GEM will forgive me, and perform, artifically think, and go CTD and 'endless-turn-wait' free for a week or two,-nothing better than make-up CIVing.

Moderator Action: As a reminder, please keep the discussion civil. Please make discussion points, not personal insults. Thanks. :)

No humor, no spirit, no news, no funny little things.
Great people are totally rubber-golems, nothing personal about them.
Get money from barbarian camps, spend it on city states and get what you can't normally get by building improvements... ????

As for Germans, Sid Meyer should take a look on Patrician series and learn a few things about what city states really were about and what possibilities from that he could use in his, now derogated, franchise.

As for AI in CiV, I think there is none. They just thought they could get away with it. But they wont. It's too obvious.

Maybe someone will make Civilization Call to Power 3.

The problem is that what people liked about civ 4 was its many facets, whatever those are.
Speak for yourself because to me, things like espionage, religion and corporations (which were really just a fancy mod of religions to try and spice up the late game) were just fluff and were not what made me enjoy playing the game. Don't get me wrong, they added some interesting dimensions to the gameplay, but they weren't essential to it, and the game certainly wouldn't have been bad without them. I even modded espionage out of BtS in an attempt to mimic vanilla's esp-free days. Not the most popular mod in the world, mind you. ;)

Espionage, for example, I think provided too easy a means to scout your enemy, especially in multiplayer. With practically no expense, one could just march a spy into enemy territory and scout out an entire army.
They feel there are less facets in civ 5. It isn't that they have different facets, but that there are less of them. LESS.
I think you mean fewer. And so what? If every expansion had to have more facets than the previous game, by the time we get to civ20 the game would be unplayably complex. Not everyone considers a more complex game to be a better game. Simply listing off the things that were in civ4 that aren't in civ5 is such a pointless exercise IMO.
The only way to really express this in a discussion is to list them, or point out areas where improvements could be made, and the previous game in the line is a really good point to start with.
That's your perspective, and a reasonable one I suppose, but not one that everyone shares. I don't see any real reason why civ5 needs to be based off of civ4. After all, civ5 is not and never was marketed as an expansion pack to civ4. As such, I expect a lot of things about the game to be fundamentally different from civ4. I'm looking for a different experience - not just more of the same. Civ5 offers a good base on which to build, and its modding capabilities are one of the things where it looks like it has lived up to the pre-release marketing hype. That means that over the next few years, civ5 will develop into a much richer game than the fairly bugged game we have at this moment. My advice to those severely disappointed with the game is to exercise a little patience and not pass judgement so early.

Speak for yourself because to me, things like espionage, religion and corporations (which were really just a fancy mod of religions to try and spice up the late game) were just fluff and were not what made me enjoy playing the game. Don't get me wrong, they added some interesting dimensions to the gameplay, but they weren't essential to it, and the game certainly wouldn't have been bad without them. I even modded espionage out of BtS in an attempt to mimic vanilla's esp-free days. Not the most popular mod in the world, mind you. ;)

This is why I said 'whatever those facets are'. That is, whatever you are missing from civ 4. You don't miss espionage, and created a mod to remove it (instead of just using the advanced option to remove it?) That's fine.[/quote]

Espionage, for example, I think provided too easy a means to scout your enemy, especially in multiplayer. With practically no expense, one could just march a spy into enemy territory and scout out an entire army.[/quote]

Well, I'm not going to argue about balance, but the obvious concept was that the buildings and economic cost of the espionage was the expense, sorta like how the expense of technology is libraries and science slider.

I think you mean fewer. And so what? If every expansion had to have more facets than the previous game, by the time we get to civ20 the game would be unplayably complex. Not everyone considers a more complex game to be a better game. Simply listing off the things that were in civ4 that aren't in civ5 is such a pointless exercise IMO.

We aren't talking necessarily about more. That would sorta imply we are angry they didn't go to new places, or add a whole lot. Also, elegant complexity isn't nearly the same burden, especially in a computer game. Consider citizen management. A key game feature, but one that those who don't want to, don't have to do. Why not similar things for international trade routes or other concepts that have been oddly removed?

That's your perspective, and a reasonable one I suppose, but not one that everyone shares. I don't see any real reason why civ5 needs to be based off of civ4. After all, civ5 is not and never was marketed as an expansion pack to civ4.

So for just a second, let's pretend I was complaining about civ 1, and you were staunchly defending civ 2. " After all, civ2 is not and never was marketed as an expansion pack to civ." Doesn't that sound kinda silly now? Clearly civ 2 is as close to an expansion pack as you can reasonably get. I mean, this isn't Civilization Revolutions, a clearly renamed product with a different target audience. I never picked it up, and if it was super different I wouldn't hold it against it. It's not branded that way. By calling it Civ 5, they are trying to get the easy sell to customers of previous civ games. But it feels like a bait and switch.

As such, I expect a lot of things about the game to be fundamentally different from civ4. I'm looking for a different experience - not just more of the same.

But not just different right? If you launched the game, and were handed a musket, a first person perspective, and told to capture the victory point you'd obviously be turned off by it. Clearly you want a certain core set of similarities (And clearly we don't agree on what those are).

Civ5 offers a good base on which to build, and its modding capabilities are one of the things where it looks like it has lived up to the pre-release marketing hype. That means that over the next few years, civ5 will develop into a much richer game than the fairly bugged game we have at this moment. My advice to those severely disappointed with the game is to exercise a little patience and not pass judgement so early.

The game is on the market. I bought it. When exactly should I be judging it if not now? This isn't like a new born baby that I must nurture to health, this is like going to the adoption clinic and supposedly getting one that's already old enough to walk.

I mean, I get pretty up in arms when people judge a game before they've played it, for exactly this style of logic. You haven't played it, how could you possibly know that Russia is the clearly strongest civ? I think that's reasonable. But telling someone who has just purchased a product and been dissatisfied with it that they should be patient and not judge yet. I don't even.

Espionage, for example, I think provided too easy a means to scout your enemy, especially in multiplayer. With practically no expense, one could just march a spy into enemy territory and scout out an entire army.

I did however, enjoy the point-based espionage - it was reminiscent of the espionage system in MoO2, with no espianoge units.

But not just different right? If you launched the game, and were handed a musket, a first person perspective, and told to capture the victory point you'd obviously be turned off by it. Clearly you want a certain core set of similarities (And clearly we don't agree on what those are).
You've summed up nicely the point on which we can come to an agreement. Although I think you're being pretty absurd with the FPS game example (I mean come on, if you have to exaggerate that much you pretty much weaken your own argument). I believe Civ5 still has remained true to the Civilization formula, and certainly a great deal more so than Civ Rev. I had very low expectations of CivRev when I got it and yet still I was disappointed. Even for a console game it was just bad.

The game is on the market. I bought it. When exactly should I be judging it if not now? This isn't like a new born baby that I must nurture to health, this is like going to the adoption clinic and supposedly getting one that's already old enough to walk.
Of course you are free to judge it whenever and however you want. My point is that if you judge it now, will you at least be prepared to come back later? I guess I should have been clearer and made my advice to not pass "final" judgement so early - that is what I really mean.
I mean, I get pretty up in arms when people judge a game before they've played it, for exactly this style of logic. You haven't played it, how could you possibly know that Russia is the clearly strongest civ? I think that's reasonable. But telling someone who has just purchased a product and been dissatisfied with it that they should be patient and not judge yet. I don't even.
Please, just stay calm. :cool:
Understand I am not saying anyone should do anything. I use the word 'should' very sparingly and it is not my intention to apply it here. By the way, I agree with you that it's pretty silly to judge a game before having played it. I thought it was amazing that there were threads about civ x or unit y being overpowered before the game was even released!

And don't interpret my advice to have patience as a call to stop making complaints. I believe complaints about the gameplay are important and when they are constructive there should (oops I used the word :p) be effort made to communicate them to the developers. I think I just believe people like probably you and myself can enjoy the game better if keep an open mind about what this game can become rather than getting hung up on what it is now. Remember, we have not even seen the first major patch yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom