Release Date?

I don't mind if it's on 1 or 31. The most important thing for me is a finished work, with less bugs as possible.

So far we have about five sites listing May 25, so that's my current guess. It's entirely possible we'll have two release dates, one for America and one for the rest of the world

Possible but unlikely. Stream facilitates a worldwide release, why would they hold back? Worth stream, retail is hardly a consideration any more.

Possible but unlikely. Stream facilitates a worldwide release, why would they hold back? Worth stream, retail is hardly a consideration any more.

Steam doesn't seem to affect release dates really, even when the game is Steamworks based.

Perhaps in 10 years time, but for now there are still boxed copies and that is made easier by separating out the release dates for different parts of the world.

It is also worth noting that different parts of the world have 'traditional' days on which games are released and there's some resistance to changing this as well. That alone probably holds things back a bit.

Steam doesn't seem to affect release dates really, even when the game is Steamworks based.

Perhaps in 10 years time, but for now there are still boxed copies and that is made easier by separating out the release dates for different parts of the world.

It is also worth noting that different parts of the world have 'traditional' days on which games are released and there's some resistance to changing this as well. That alone probably holds things back a bit.

Games in UK/Ireland are always released on FRIDAY. U.S tends to release games on Monday (or Tuesdays?) I think right?

Games in UK/Ireland are always released on FRIDAY. U.S tends to release games on Monday (or Tuesdays?) I think right?

Something like that, yes. The days themselves don't matter so much as the fact that there are separate and distinct traditional days for each.

This makes any harmonisation a lot slower.

Games and Movies on DvD/BluRay are typically released on Tuesdays in the USA. New movies typically start showing at the theater on Fridays.

Since May 1st is a Tuesday and one site listed this date, I'm going to continue to hope it's the real date.

Yeah, but this is the US release date. The worldwide release date would be May 4.

May 1st isn't a national holiday in the US, I assume?
/offtopic

Not really. Our Labor Day (equivalent of International Workers Day) is the first Monday in September. Some people celebrate May Day, but it's not an official holiday.

Diablo 3 on May 15th, and G+K about the same time! Best possible timing for me. That is the beginning of the summer lull of my work.

Just a guess based upon experience over a long period of time with games. No matter what is said about a release date, if the company needs a boost in its quarterly earnings report, it will be released during the last ten days of a fiscal quarter, hence June 20-30. If no boost needed, any old time will do.

I wonder what percentage of the player base buys their games in hard copy, and if they do (like I did for Vanilla), how many of them actually go out and buy it rather than ordering online and getting it delivered.

Top Bottom