Pantheon, Founder and Follower Beliefs

So... if an AI civ has Papal Primacy as its founding belief, then there is no downside at all to adopting it in all your cities - you get all the follower beliefs, without giving said AI any bonus for it.

I notice that Liturgical Drama has Amphitheatres providing Faith. Is this a new building?

I like that a lot of them are terrain-dependent. This is a good step towards having civs that develop organically instead of with pre-set UAs and UBs

I may have missed it, but has there been any confirmation or refutation that there is a Holy City for each religion? It would make sense as a place to apply many of the founder effects (but if so, what to do if the city changes ownership? Make new owner the founder?). However, there are other ways to do this and they just might (for the purpose of being different than Civ4) forgo Holy Cities entirely.

In one of the interviews Dennis Shirk definitely mentioned Holy Cities.

You left out the Follower Beliefs.

:blush: shame on me, the confusion.
And thank you :).

(and thanks to Cam for already fixing it :)).

I notice that Liturgical Drama has Amphitheatres providing Faith. Is this a new building?

yes.

It looks like Shrines and Temples are the faith buildings and the Monument + Amphitheatre are the culture buildings, with Monastaries being purchasable only if you take that belief (along with the other new building beliefs).

at least for the early game buildings anyways.

Louis, you can't found more religions than half the number of full fledged civs in the game so 8 founders beliefs is self sufficient on huge maps with 12 civs.

There has to be more than 8 founder beliefs. There are 11 religions and Byzantium gets one for itself. My guess is that there should be 12 beliefs.

But with 22 civs (the maximum allowed in 1 game), you need 11 religions.

the evidence for 11 founder beliefs (and the required amount of 22 follower beliefs/11 enhancer beliefs) is that there is the max of 22 civs in a game plus, rather self-evidently, there are 11 possible religious symbols.

Yes, unless you're playing with 22 civs, you won't see that many religions, but developers aren't building the game for low possibilities, they have to build it for maximal possibilities.

Since cities will be able to practice multiple religions, Islamic-Christian cities will be able to "construct" both Cathedral and Mosque respectively or not. Also, religion allegiance seems to be counted on a citizen basis which, then, indicates that missionaries will convert only two citizens each.

I don't think cities can have more than one religion. That's why you need Inquisitors so you can keep "heathen" religions out.

It appears that a city breaks down into "followers" where multiple religions can have followers in a city. I would guess that the religion with the most followers in the city is the city's dominant religion.

hmm. Then what do the follower beliefs mean when they refer to numbers of followers?

It apppears a number of your citizens will follow the different religions, and inquisitors are used to reduce the number of people following a rival religion while missionaries increase the number of people. The more followers you have the better your bonuses.

There seems to be some "hidden fight" between religions to convince enough citizen as "believers" (or is it "followers"?).

As I see it:
- Cities with adopted religion cast their religious influence 10 hexes afar.
- If there are cities with "unconvinced" population, these pagans are convinced slowly over time.
- If there is a certain threshold taken, the whole city will adopt the religion of the mayority of their citizen.
- There can be only one adopted religion per city, but different believers in every city.
- Misionarys can change the ammount of belivers towards their religion.
- Inquisitors might "clear" a cities adopted religion or just lower the number of "wrong" believers in a city.
- *Maybe* (!) a city can "flip" their adopted religion, if religious pressure is high and new inhabitants are convinced to the "wrong" religion.

--

Edit: And I was *way* to slow...

Awesome, the only thing I wanted out of this religion system will be a possibility.

Egypt with
Pantheon - Monument of the Gods
Founder - Pilgrimage
Follower - Divine Inspiration
Follower 2 - Holy Warriors

Focus on wonders, buy army if (when) things get dicey.

Do you get one follower belief or two?

Top Bottom