Is civilization 5 over?

Vanilla versions of Civ will always be a stripped down model compared to the Complete edition of the previous iteration. It will always feel like a step back from the perspective of veteran players. I just hope that Civ VI is relatively bug-free and forms a solid base for the inevitable expansions.

Vanilla versions of Civ will always be a stripped down model compared to the Complete edition of the previous iteration. It will always feel like a step back from the perspective of veteran players. I just hope that Civ VI is relatively bug-free and forms a solid base for the inevitable expansions.
Indeed, that's the most important thing.

And depending on the chosen business model they might or might not create a 'full' version for Civ6 vanilla.
If they'll go with the expansion-model I'm assuming a lot of features will be lacking in vanilla to be put in through expansions.
If they'll go with the DLC-model vanilla might be more feature-complete but lacking in content (ie. civs and wonders).

Or so I speculate :p

And I think we should be fine with that. As long as the vanilla VI is well balanced for BTS and BNW type expansions I'll be happy. I don't want them to continuously dogpile new features onto all of the old ones and create a mess.

I do hope there's going to be at least one or two balance patches in V's future though. There's some balance and gameplay issues that could really use some attn. BNW wasn't perfect and the game actually feels less balanced than it did in G&K (sorry fanbois, it's the cold hard truth)

Otherwise bring on VI! I'm ready.

It's pretty annoying as a way to milk the fans to the point that I didn't bother to buy V until G&K, just kept playing IV until then. Just put out something awesome to begin with and then find new ways to make it even better. They don't need to get rid of the features they have right now. Religion, espionage, ideology, etc., should be in there from the beginning. Other updates can just add new civs and, if necessary, fix imbalances in game play.

We should definitely ask in a Q&A session or something of the sort about a civ 6. The fan support is clearly there, and I agree with bcakio that if it's led by Ed Beach then we'll be in for a polished game.

Why's everyone getting so excited for Civ VI? This is the fans' time; we now have the opportunity to mold the game to our liking without the risk of Firaxis putting up an update that breaks all of our code.

Fortunately Ed Beach and co. have done such a fine job that I only really want some minor tweaks to fine tune the game.

All i can say about the end of Civ5 is that they have done it again.
And anyone who has liked this franchise for many years now like me knows what i mean with that.

Why's everyone getting so excited for Civ VI? This is the fans' time; we now have the opportunity to mold the game to our liking without the risk of Firaxis putting up an update that breaks all of our code.

Fortunately Ed Beach and co. have done such a fine job that I only really want some minor tweaks to fine tune the game.

This.

Also, why was Jon Shafer chosen for vanilla over Beach? Shafer is so much younger.

Ed Beach, Johan Andersson, and Brad Wardell are my three favorite game designers.

... and I agree with bcakio that if it's led by Ed Beach then we'll be in for a polished game.

Problem I see here: he actually never designed a video game! All he ever did was work on add-on packages - and Civ III Conquests (which he was involved in) ended up quite unpolished and unfinished, while Civ V BNW is still WIP and obviously still needs a bit of work to reach "polished" status. Basically all he did up to now was more or less the same as Jon Shafer did for Civ IV before became lead designer of Civ V. And we all know how Civ V Vanilla turned out - and Shafer did not even last long enough at Firaxis to see his design baby finished.

Also, why was Jon Shafer chosen for vanilla over Beach? Shafer is so much younger.

Because he was not even working for Firaxis at that time? If I remeber correctly all he ever did for the Civ franchise before he took over G&K was work on Civ III Conquests expansion - which was more or less a third party addon (Breakaway Games), because at that time Firaxis' main focus had already shifted to Civ IV.

What does it mean 'deluxe'? More civilizations? More systems? What?

And there is a new game of civ in developing. It is called "Civilization Online".

I had been under the impression that Dennis Shirk was largely responsible for g&k and BNW.
What does/did Ed Beach, Dennis Shirk, and BigDen (whoever that is) each do? When did they get involved in Civ development?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

I didn't bother to buy V until G&K, just kept playing IV until then.

I am the same way. They tricked with me with III, so I waited on IV until Warlords. That was a good call! I am currently waiting for the next patch before I try BNW. I am on a Mac, so I have to wait anyway. I do worry that if too many people figure out the pattern that Firaxis will go bankrupt. With all the fanbois, that does not seem to be a problem!

Totally agree. With all the great mods out there, I'm going to keep myself very busy until they release the first expansion for VI.

I am the same way. They tricked with me with III, so I waited on IV until Warlords. That was a good call! I am currently waiting for the next patch before I try BNW. I am on a Mac, so I have to wait anyway. I do worry that if too many people figure out the pattern that Firaxis will go bankrupt. With all the fanbois, that does not seem to be a problem!

Yeah, Firaxis seems to be doing fine! I'm also on a Mac, so that does play into my decision, too. Even if I wasn't, I will not waste money on a game that the developers know full well isn't ready to be released and doesn't have the important features that that the developers know it will have in a year or so. You don't see GTA or games like that releasing "expansions" for its games; they're done when they hit the shelves. Easy enough to just release a full game and, then, if unexpected (rather than planned) problems do emerge, release patches. They can always sell additional civs, maps and scenarios to make a few extra bucks if they like. I'd love to see scenarios like the colonization game, where it really is like a whole new, fully-realized game. Perhaps the long awaited alpha centauri scenario?

I had been under the impression that Dennis Shirk was largely responsible for g&k and BNW.
What does/did Ed Beach, Dennis Shirk, and BigDen (whoever that is) each do? When did they get involved in Civ development?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

Dennis Shirk (also bigden) has been Lead Producer for vanilla, G&K and BNW. Ed Beach was Lead Designer for G&K and BNW, and before that was credited for 'Additional Design and Gameplay' and AI/Gameplay Lead for vanilla. A Producer is in charge of the whole show (e.g. co-ordinating programmers and testers), a Designer designs the game.

Top Bottom