SoD / 1upt Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustakrakish

In 'Node' We Trust
As much as I enjoy 1upt, carpets of doom is a big turn down for me at combat at higher difficulties.

My suggestion:

Underlying combat same as civ5 (range units, 100hp etc., in a 1vs1 same as civ5). Add to that the following change to range units - attack strength diminishes as the attacked unit's health lowers (lower hp of a unit = less soldiers in the field > harder to hit!). This would address "precision killing" and keep ranged units in proper role, softening the enemy before "clashing" and/or "cleaning up".

Now to the hybrid... Battle ready stack of say 5 units. With max stacking 10, but receiving "logistics" penalty (range AND combat) of say 15% per unit above 5. Note: City limit could be 1-2 units.
Max stacking primarily used for, well logistics, moving army around, staying idle within borders etc. and "battle ready" for combat. This would create a nice scenarios of army being ambushed en route etc. Also more outside the city focused battles.

Ranged units attack the whole stack, the damage spreads across units within the stack. If a full health lone swordsman receives 10hp hit from a lone archer, in a 5 stack, all would receive 2hp hit. Now of course if 5 archers would attack, then consequently spread would be 10hp across the stack.

The composition of the 5 would have various effects. While a composition of 1 swordsman, 1 spearman, 1 horseman and 2 archers would seem like a decent stack to fend off any lone units, a stack of 5 swordsman managing to get close unhindered by range would deal great damage. While a stack of only archers could do great deal of range damage, a not so full melee stack (even 1-2 units) would all but annihilate it. While a stack of 2 swords and 3 catapults could take a city, in the field the four horsemen would take it apart etc.

OPTIONAL (Not decided yet): If a units strength is much higher than individual units within the stack ("one shot kill" one on one), say long swordsman attacking archer stack, combined hp could be taken into account, say resulting in "one shot two kill". Making GDR for example one shot annihilating whole stacks of inferior peasants, in turn forcing peasants to practice some sort of partisanish lone unit attacks instead of standing army face off.

Now before you say "Why not just make several stacks of each unit, 5 swords, 5 archers etc., and just use them just like lone units"... you absolutely could.

BUT... how much units do you raise for ancient - medieval combat? More than 2 stacks? I certainly don't. Throughout the game my "active" rarely exceed 10. Additionaly I think military capacity should be limited by population as well as economically, but that's another story.

The goal of my suggestion is adding fun on some basis of logic and at the same getting rid of logistics nightmare that civ5 is, without reverting back to boring combat of SoDs.

What do you think? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom