most disheartening moments in games?

darden

Chieftain
nothing like discovering that the great ocean start you thought you had turned out to be a land-locked sea once you've cranked out a few scouts.

as Venice. :c5unhappy:

what are your most disheartening experiences?

Having an amazing desert start and losing out on Desert Folklore

Losing a great person (especially a MoV)

Getting 2nd place in a WC project by <50 production

Picking Random Civ and getting America

great prophet counter hits 200 already for 3 turns and the GP is still not spawn,next turn someone found the last religion,raaaaage!
Been building wonder for 15 turns,AI sniped it when I'm literally 1 turn away from finishing,are you kidding me?
Owns the most land,no coal,CS allies have no coal,really?

The things that bring the sting:

1. AI settles where you were planning to expand, but botches it so it's not even good city placement, and you have to raze it.

2. AI settles a garbage location inside your empire (like, squeezed between two of your cities in the snow). This one drives me nuts. Looking at you Hiawatha.

3. I'm not so sad when I lose out on a wonder, even by one turn. But the wonders I ignore, the computer NEVER gets, and when I finally decide to build one (because it's down to like 3 turns) I lose out on it. I get mad when I lose out on EVERY wonder I decide to go for, which happens a lot. Screw wonders, I'm building a worker instead.

4. City-states taking up all the good land. This is basically what city-states do. Any useful natural wonder, coastal location, or luxury is owned by a city-state. Plenty of snow left for you, though. Cannot raze city-states, so it's forever a bad city owning good land.

5. Egypt.

6. Barbs spawning and attacking in the same turn. Barbarian horsemen moving, pillaging, then moving, then pillaging again in the same turn. Barbarian galleys that come out of NOWHERE and insta-plunder every cargo ship you ever made. Barbarians spawning on the one tile you didn't look at for half a second. Barbarian island raves, that take forever to clear on archipelago maps. Actually, barbs in general.

7. You finally, finally relent and make a trade route to Assyria, then he DoWs you next turn and you lose it.

8. Seeing the growth notification pop up and realizing I didn't lock tiles and squeeze out that extra hammer. I hate this one the most of all, I only do it to 5 pop but I always hit "next turn" then get a funny feeling, scroll over and see the "1 turn until growth" but I can only watch as the turn cycles and I miss it.

In my current game I was all closed on my current policy trees so i specifically timed Oxford-radiobulb with my next policy. I diverted from dynamite during a war to do this...

Ideology doesn't open until the turn after, how could I forget this, how could I forget this, ahh

I'll still never understand why people bash America so much. :rolleyes:

Nothing beats losing the wonder you burned a GE on.

Besides that the worst for me is spawning next to an aggressive Darius or Boudicca. A Pictish or Golden Age boosted Persian rush on t50-55 can result in a wipe before the game even got started depending on the terrain.

I still think the saddest moments are when I see the AI settling one tile away from a coast with resources. In my last game, Nebby settled a city right in my face, but two tiles from a hilled river on the coast closer to his empire. Had he settled the correct spot, he would have had a fish, Silk, Salt, Cow, and overall better food/production. Instead, he settled a flat grassland, unable to improve the fish and without the Silk and Cow in workable distance.

Needless to say, that city burned.

8. Seeing the growth notification pop up and realizing I didn't lock tiles and squeeze out that extra hammer. I hate this one the most of all, I only do it to 5 pop but I always hit "next turn" then get a funny feeling, scroll over and see the "1 turn until growth" but I can only watch as the turn cycles and I miss it.

Haven't they changed this so the food carries on, so there is no point? Thought that was made.

Yes, surplus food carries over, but you still don't get that turn's worth of food from the newly created citizen, since the food computation is done before the new citizen is created (in fact, it is that computation that triggers the new citizen).

So, if the new citizen is assigned to a food tile, the food yield from that tile is ignored for that turn, but all other tile yields are accounted for. Hence, the benefit of locking all citizens and specifying production focus -- the new citizen is automatically assigned to a tile that maximizes hammer yield. If you have no open hammer tiles (for whatever reason), even extra gold, culture or faith is preferable to food that will not be accounted for.

Same turn :
- Welcome to renaissance era ! :goodjob:
- Sejong enters Industrial era. :sad:

Also :
- Hola ! Yo so Isabella de Espagna.

1)
Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

:ar15::sniper::deadhorse::spank::wallbash:

2) Hey, let's start peaceful cultural game :)
First neighbour met - Shaka
OR
First neighbour met - Alexander

; _ ;

Owns the most land,no coal,CS allies have no coal,really?

That doesn't bother too much for me, if I have no coal on my continent I declare war to the civ who own it and send my frigates. It adds some challenge int the game. Well, like in real life: countries declared war for strategic resources!

When I play Carthage or Japan with 3 pearls and 2 fish in my capitol, and a civ picks God of the Sea one turn before I can found a pantheon...

When your 3 triplanes set on intercept proceed to not intercept the 8 great war bombers that raineth down...

When your 3 triplanes set on intercept proceed to not intercept the 8 great war bombers that raineth down...

I bet your 3 interceptors where in a city and all 8 bombers bombed that city.

Old bug, never has been fixed: bombers attacking a city NEVER get intercepted.

1. AI settles where you were planning to expand, but botches it so it's not even good city placement, and you have to raze it.

Sometimes I thing this is made for purpose...

4. City-states taking up all the good land. This is basically what city-states do. Any useful natural wonder, coastal location, or luxury is owned by a city-state. Plenty of snow left for you, though. Cannot raze city-states, so it's forever a bad city owning good land.

You can also annex the CS

5. Egypt.

The first target when I spam next to him. Let him build all the wonders and just invade him.

6. Barbs spawning and attacking in the same turn. Barbarian horsemen moving, pillaging, then moving, then pillaging again in the same turn. Barbarian galleys that come out of NOWHERE and insta-plunder every cargo ship you ever made. Barbarians spawning on the one tile you didn't look at for half a second. Barbarian island raves, that take forever to clear on archipelago maps. Actually, barbs in general.

Barbarian horsemen are a nigthmare, I admit. But it fill the lack of wars with others civs in BNW.
About the ship, I consider them as pirates, so if I want a safe trade route, I build a small navy.
I love barbarian states! If I pick honor it's a culture harvest. I love the barbarian gatling guns, they look like mexican guerilleros.

- when you get a free tech from a ruin or espionage and you were only 1 turn away from researching it...
- likewise when you get a free pop when you are 1 turn from growing
- when you beeline shrine to get a religion and miss your ideal pantheon by 1 turn
- when you miss your preferred religious beliefs due to RNG on prophets being born
- when you bribe shaka to attack someone else and think you're in the clear, but then he just DOWs you also.
- every time i win a city state quest and realize i had not pledged to protect
- getting workers lined up on every single road tile to blast out railroads ASAP but then forgetting to actually build them for like 5 turns

Top Bottom