most disheartening moments in games?

- getting workers lined up on every single road tile to blast out railroads ASAP but then forgetting to actually build them for like 5 turns

The solution to this is simple: by this point, I usually have all but 1-2 workers on auto build, because I'll be buggered if I'm gonna manually point them all the land I stol.......EARNED. Works on auto will automatically upgrade all roads to railroads after they're finished on their current task, so you can just set 5 of them on auto build and chain gang across your empire! :lol:

Back on topic, another problem that happens to me a lot is my neighbors starting with the same luxes as me..... this means that I can't swap with them, and then they trade them off the the OTHER AI's, making me unable to swap with them too. Look, I think 3 luxes for your last copy of a lux is a good deal..... oh so what do you want.....ALL MY LUXES, RESOURCES, AND THE PIN TO MY SWISS BANK ACCOUNT?! :mad:

The most disheartening thing I've found is that regardless of what Civ I pick and what my original intentions were; it always ends in blood.

Should Shaka just sit back and let his people be miserable while you've got cotton and iron and Notre Dame? He has obligations too. You're so selfish, not wanting to be conquered.

When I offer a DOF and the civ rejects but then offers me a DOF the very next turn...

Should Shaka just sit back and let his people be miserable while you've got cotton and iron and Notre Dame? He has obligations too. You're so selfish, not wanting to be conquered.

Actually I mean their blood. I start out wanting to build spaceships, I end up launching missiles. I want to spread my influence, I end up forcing it into others via the tip of a bayonet. Etc, etc.

There always seems to be a reason (good one) to go to war, and once it starts.....

Basically, any mistake which was due to negligence.

Because of the snowball effect in Civ, if I forget to tell my worker to mine the Marble for a turn, I get my Marble up one turn later, then I miss out on Hanging Gardens by one turn, then I'm forced to build food caravans in my second city instead of a science building, which means I get to a key tech one turn later, which means I get beat to another wonder, which allows my neighbor to have more army when I plan to invade, which makes my attack fail as I'm forced to withdraw from his city, which means I wasted gold on my army in the first place, which means I can't ally a city-state and someone else votes themselves host in the World Congress, which means they get to pass standing army tax... (fast forward) and I'm in a world of pain. This applies to anything else in the game (forgot to buy building for a turn, etc).

Use "do nothing this turn" instead of "sleep" on your workers, guys, or a world of pain awaits you.

When Gandhi shows up and I know that my goal of a peaceful victory will not be. First comes the DOF, and several turns of civil coexistence. Then it starts. He never stops sending in spies, prophets and missionaries. I kill his spy, he apologizes, I forgive him. Rinse and repeat. Then "India has stolen the secrets of Iron Working!" He dedicates every moment to stealing my tech and converting my citizens, while smiling at me and renewing the DOF over and over.

Eventually, the fact that he only has a few cities due to his UA will just be too tempting. And then I feel bad after. Because he's Gandhi.

I need a mod that adds a "Random Civ that's not India" to the setup options.

getting prophet bombed in holy city before you enhanced,... and now you have no faith income from pantheon... this pretty much is ragequit for me (and I usually make sure I have my holy city surrounded but sometimes barbs appear or something)

AI burning a GE on the turn it picks an ideology to snipe that statue of liberty I spend 10 turns hard-building because no one else at that point picked freedom.

Getting DOW'd and losing all your trade routes in the sea off-guard

Getting a worker/settler captured by barbs and it is rescued by the AI...,

there are more...

Sending scouts out for early scouting only for them to be prevented from returning home due to border closures by other expanding civs.. :(

The sound of another Civ completing a wonder. Doesn't have to be one I was working on myself, by now I've been conditioned to have a negative response to that "Whomp!" >.<

I'll still never understand why people bash America so much. :rolleyes:

Just as that one guy said, envy. I am sure many where also jealous at the Roman Empire back in the day, but they couldn't do a thing about it. :D

When we are about it I hate when I think I have a coastal start and then BAM, it is just one big lake. Or when I research Industrialization, and then in my giant empire not a single coal, and then have to wait until Modern Era for Ideology.

Moderator Action: Please do not use symbols in swear words to fool the autocensor. Have modified your post to bring it into line with the rules and keep our PG13 standard for language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The sound of another Civ completing a wonder. Doesn't have to be one I was working on myself, by now I've been conditioned to have a negative response to that "Whomp!" >.<

Ugh. That "Whomp!" sound. That is a sound that my mind by this time unconsciously associates with limitless despair.

Just as that one guy said, envy. I am sure many where also jealous at the Roman Empire back in the day, but they couldn't do s*it about it. :D

:goodjob: and I'm not even American.

Ugh. That "Whomp!" sound. That is a sound that my mind by this time unconsciously associates with limitless despair.

:goodjob: and I'm not even American.

Lol, at about the wonders. :lol:

I am not American as well, but I am just being realistic. They are the Rome of today, and people cannot deny that fact. Of course it doesn't mean there aren't any other powerful nations today as well, where the standard of living is better than that in USA.

When you've just about wiped out the last city of the last civ on your continent and suddenly your meeting Hammy Kammy

nothing like discovering that the great ocean start you thought you had turned out to be a land-locked sea once you've cranked out a few scouts.

as Venice. :c5unhappy:

what are your most disheartening experiences?

Well ...maybe happening anytime...just last night I abandoned a game as Spain when, after quite a few turns I found that choice spot for Spain, was on a big lake. I suppose technically in the civ world these aren't lakes but rather huge inland seas, which I guess is OK...

Sometimes I'll play these out, but then you need to find a good location on a "proper" ocean as a trading centre for all your cargo ships later in the game....

Just as that one guy said, envy. I am sure many where also jealous at the Roman Empire back in the day, but they couldn't do s*it about it. :D

It wasn't necessarily so easy being a Roman...go find a good account of what those "uncivilized", no-nothing Barbarians were able to do to the Romans at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest.... That battle is probably, as it turned out, the most pivotal in European history and its outcome is still culturally imprinted on the map of Europe....

This was during the reign of one of the better emperors...the first one, Augustus..

The Viet Nam debacle does not compare in scope or scale to what happened to the Romans at Teutoburg Forest....

Or maybe read about what happened to the Roman consul/general/governor, Manius Aquillius ...whatever he was at the time he got on the wrong side of the great Mithridates.... Rather nasty, I would say... ;)

getting prophet bombed in holy city before you enhanced,... and now you have no faith income from pantheon... this pretty much is ragequit for me (and I usually make sure I have my holy city surrounded but sometimes barbs appear or something)

As other posters on here informed me, keeping an inquisitor in any city that you own will make it immune to great prophets and missionaries. Very handy to avoid that and other similar headaches.

The most disheartening moments for me are when I lose units to a careless mistake or a tactical error. I try so hard to protect (and upgrade) my military units that a death like that is tragic.

When the AI finishes that wonder 1 turn before you complete yours. Happened to me 3 times in one game.

Oh and when your level 9 crossbow that you've babied for thousands of years gets 1 shot by a Siamese UU Elephant, or a Songhai UU Camel. With roads they come out of nowhere and cut through my crossbows like a flamethrower through butter.

Lol, at about the wonders. :lol:

I am not American as well, but I am just being realistic. They are the Rome of today, and people cannot deny that fact. Of course it doesn't mean there aren't any other powerful nations today as well, where the standard of living is better than that in USA.

People love to hate on the US because it's fashionable nowadays or something. But the plain fact of the matter is that, while the US is far from perfect, I'd still much rather have them as the world policeman/world superpower than any of the other contenders. (well, the EU would be acceptable.)

But I digress. Back to the topic. :lol:

It wasn't necessarily so easy being a Roman...go find a good account of what those "uncivilized", no-nothing Barbarians were able to do to the Romans at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest.... That battle is probably, as it turned out, the most pivotal in European history and its outcome is still culturally imprinted on the map of Europe....

This was during the reign of one of the better emperors...the first one, Augustus..

The Viet Nam debacle does not compare in scope or scale to what happened to the Romans at Teutoburg Forest....

Or maybe read about what happened to the Roman consul/general/governor, Manius Aquillius ...whatever he was at the time he got on the wrong side of the great Mithridates.... Rather nasty, I would say... ;)

Of course it is never easy being a Great Power. I remember in one of Paradox's games Victoria it is hard reaching a Great Power status, but even harder keeping it. But let's not stray too much from the topic, shall we? ;)

Going for a berserker invasion as Denmark and having my iron pillaged by barbarians the turn after my DoW. Happened more than once! I mean, come on! Isn't playing Denmark hard enough?!

Going for a peaceful victory, finishing the Apollo Program, and then getting Dow'd the turn after finishing it.

Playing as Denmark, no iron in sight. Not even a single CS in the neighbourhood with iron.

Top Bottom