Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters

Silverman6083

History-Lover
Would you rather have the england we have now:
Queen Elizabeth- Sun Never Sets, Longbowmen, Ship of the Line
or
Queen Victoria- Oriental Ambitions, Redcoat, Dreadnought
Oriental Ambitions: cities connected to the capital by railroad gets 50% of its production(not previous 20%)
Redcoat: much cheaper than the rifleman which it replaces
Dreadnought: much stronger, but slightly more expensive to build than the ironclad, which it replaces

Thoughts? Redcoat replaces rifleman because 1. Way too many Musketman UUs(Minuteman, Janissary, Musketeer, Terico) and 2. To go along with the Industrial theme of this civ.

I'd prefer Elizabeth over Victoria generally for a Civ V leader, and I think with the current parameters, she also makes for the more interesting civ.

Both :) (although UUs for Victoria seem boring)

I would rather have two leaders per civ to keep each civ unique for the entire time period, not only pre-industrial like in most cases.

Oriental Ambitions: Effectively would return the civ with this UA to the overpowered railroad bonus of the CD release of Civ V. Also, if historic accuracy is gone after, I would have it be some sort of gold bonus for overseas cities instead of hammer production for all non-capital cities.

Red Coat: While in Civ IV, it was a Rifle replacement, it would be more more historically accurate to have it be a Musket replacement.

Dreadnought: Not really unique to England. While the Ship of the Line wasn't unique to England either; a much better argument can be made about England having the best Ship of the Line than about having the best dreadnoughts.

I think a unique factory building would suit england better than the redcoat unique unit (there was nothing special about them except for being all over the world afaik)

They were very well trained. Maybe not as good as the Prussians and not as large as most continental powers but in general better. Rather than it being cheaper than riflemen, they'd probably be better beng more expensive but stronger with maybe a bonus overseas.

I disagree with the Dreadnought though but I don't know much about that time. Maybe in line with the factory replacement/OP's oriental ambitions a Dockyard replacing Seaport. An additional +2 production/+1 gold for every trade route in the city.

The Oriental Ambitions sounds like a reference to the empire and specifically India. Considering they are all colonies abroad, I don't understand why you need land connections to the capital? I think this should be changed to reflect the empire or renamed.

The Oriental Ambitions sounds like a reference to the empire and specifically India. Considering they are all colonies abroad, I don't understand why you need land connections to the capital? I think this should be changed to reflect the empire or renamed.

Civ V actually counts harbors as rails.

Considering most of us Englanders wouldn't really know what "Redcoat" even meant, I'd prefer the option which doesn't simply pander to American popular knowledge.

Considering most of us Englanders wouldn't really know what "Redcoat" even meant, I'd prefer the option which doesn't simply pander to American popular knowledge.

Huh, I would think the Grenadier Guards still wearing red coats when on guard at the Buckingham palace would make the term obvious; particularly with that uniform being a deliberate throw back to the days in which every UK army unit wore red coats.

I think that Winston Churchill would make a cool leader. A larger-than-life characterk, voted the greatest Briton of all time.
In leaderscreen puffing a cigar of course.

I'm not a huge Queen Victoria fan, and her United Kingdom seems significantly weaker than Elizabeth's England. Overall, I think you're right that the redcoat should probably be one of England's UUs, but as it stands they have some of the best unique units in the game, so I'm not sure I'd change that.

Dreadnought: Not really unique to England. While the Ship of the Line wasn't unique to England either; a much better argument can be made about England having the best Ship of the Line than about having the best dreadnoughts.

Yes it is. In the rely 20th century, Britain launched HMS Dreadnought. That ship revolutionized the whole warship business while making an era of warships. Ever heard of Pre-dreadnought and dreadnought battleships? While this is unique to England, it wasn't unique to Victoria, who died a few years before it was commissioned.

Other thought for Victoria (Who I prefer over Elizabeth) is that the unique ability and its name don't match up. Oriental Ambition shouldn't relate to land routes, but sea routes. Maybe longer range for cargo ships or attack bonus in foreign lands?

Elizabeth is fine as leader.

Victoria, I would say is more a British figurehead (despite one of her titles as Queen of England), as are the redcoats.

Longbowman is good for England.

Reformation - having a small amount of gold produced by religious buildings or something might be better than the sea movement. Or Magna Carta giving happiness somehow.

Top Bottom