How do you get G&K civs on BNW?

CHEESE!

On a long nostalgia trip
So for some reason, among the G&K civs, I have only Ethiopia listed on my Steam-bought copy of BNW. I imagine this is because I skipped G&K entirely, due to having been away for its release time, and not playing G&K generally.

I really wouldn't like to buy G&K; is there any way I can get the other civs, without buying the whole pack? This is what, IIRC, Firaxis did for Warlords --> BTS.

You have to buy G&K in order to get the other 8 civs (or 9 depending if you bought the Inca/Spain DLC)

It makes sense, Firaxis needed to include faith, (religion), and Spies, (espionage) in BNW because it added to things from G-K. If they gave the Civ and scinarios from G-K 1 they would loose potential revenue, and more importantly 2. It would cheat anyone who bought G-K. I would just buy G-K its very worth it in the civs by themselves.

It makes sense, Firaxis needed to include faith, (religion), and Spies, (espionage) in BNW because it added to things from G-K. If they gave the Civ and scinarios from G-K 1 they would loose potential revenue, and more importantly 2. It would cheat anyone who bought G-K. I would just buy G-K its very worth it in the civs by themselves.

But they didn't do that with Civ IV. This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Did they carry over the civs, never played civ iv? I know the scenarios didn't come over though.

Really? Oh, wow, that's annoying.

Well, the Steam Summer Sale is going on, you can probably get G&K for ridiculously cheap.....

Were you here for when G&K released, when numerous people complained about how they deserved a discount on G&K because other people were getting Spain for free (since it was included with G&K) and they had paid for it as part of the Spain/Inca DLC? Yeah, it'd be that all over again, times ten.

Were you here for when G&K released, when numerous people complained about how they deserved a discount on G&K because other people were getting Spain for free (since it was included with G&K) and they had paid for it as part of the Spain/Inca DLC? Yeah, it'd be that all over again, times ten.

No, but I get the idea. More evidence to the view that DLC was a terrible, terrible idea.

Well, the Steam Summer Sale is going on, you can probably get G&K for ridiculously cheap.....

Good thing people aren't complaining about Ethiopia

I got G&K for $5 about 6 months ago, just keep an eye out on STEAM/Greenmangaming and those kind of sites for a sale. $5 seems fair enough for the civs you're get IMO.

You don't think that it took a lot of resources (time and money) to develop G&K and the civs that came with it (as did BNW) and you expect that for free?

You don't think that it took a lot of resources (time and money) to develop G&K and the civs that came with it (as did BNW) and you expect that for free?

...no, that's moronic. I expected to buy a second expansion pack which would include the first, EXACTLY as they did with their last game, and, I'm pretty sure, every game before that. You would have had more than enough time to play G&K; you could explore every possible aspect of G&K, and not feel ripped off when the next came out.

I mean, BNW includes faith as well; should you get angry about that, that I got faith right off the bat without paying extra? Damn, why don't I pay for EVERY SINGLE FEATURE THAT BNW HAS THAT G&K HAS ALSO?

Wait. So if my friend wants BNW does he also have to buy G&K for its civs? I have G&K but he doesn't even have civ. Soo.... Buying G&K will also give him civs/scenarios, or more than that?

I have seen other people gripe about this and dont understand why. Firaxis, at one given time did pay a team of developers X amount of dollars to develop the new content/civs in the gods and kings expansion. The fact that elements of brave new world require portions of G&K to be included should be seen as a free gift from the developer, not a slight on their part for cheating you of the civs. Maybe they could put out just the civs as their own DLC pack to placate you but the fact remains that they only keep making good games because people BUY them. rather than try to find a way around paying them for their work. To answer sequms question if your friend does not have civilization whatsoever, i would recommend he wait before buying. I say this because currently only the gold edition of Civ V is out. Im thinking they will be bringing out a complete platinum edition with all DLC included. This would be the best value as for what you get for the price but idk when they plan to release or if they even will. Theyd be kind of silly not to because certain people are waiting specifically for that. To get all the content in Gods and Kings including all Civs you MUST have both the gods and kings and brave new world expansion. Just the brave new world expansion give you ethiopia for some reason, I dont even understand why they gave that away for free.

...no, that's moronic. I expected to buy a second expansion pack which would include the first, EXACTLY as they did with their last game, and, I'm pretty sure, every game before that. You would have had more than enough time to play G&K; you could explore every possible aspect of G&K, and not feel ripped off when the next came out.

I mean, BNW includes faith as well; should you get angry about that, that I got faith right off the bat without paying extra? Damn, why don't I pay for EVERY SINGLE FEATURE THAT BNW HAS THAT G&K HAS ALSO?
Every Civ IV expansion worked independently of the base game. Civ V's expansions do not, they are "true" expansions. Faith and some other mechanics carried over to BNW because they are now core to the way the game is played with BNW installed. G&K's scenarios and Civs are not, hence why they aren't included.

...People are misunderstanding.

Faith and espionage do come with Brave New World, yes. Why? Because they are core game mechanics that need to be intertwined with BNW content. Making it entirely separate from the core concepts G+K brought into the game would be ludicrously inconvenient.

Just because BNW comes with G+K mechanics does not mean, in any sense, that you're somehow "paying for the same thing twice". You're paying for all that BNW introduces, the truckload of new mechanics and civs and wonders and scenarios. That stuff is well worth the money you're paying, if it's the same price as G+K was. The fact that the expansion includes the mechanics introduced in G+K is just icing on the cake, allowing for this expansion to incorporate them better, and allowing people who only recently purchase Civ V to need to buy one expansion to be able to play with the larger, more dedicated community.

At this point, what's likely to happen is a drop in G+K's price, since to most people it will be simply a civ and scenario pack. Granted, those things are well worth money too, considering that a LOT of production hours go into leaders.

From a marketing standpoint, it is simple. People will want to buy Brave New World more than they will want to buy G+K. However, G+K is still a separate product that represents a good portion of the company's hours put into work. They can't simply include it into Brave New World, since A. it would be a good marketing plan for people who only now bought Civ V who don't really want to spend a load on new expansions to offer them just G+K at a lower price, and make a bit more money while those people can play the older expansion alone and judge whether they want to get the new one, and B. doing that would be like selling a sequel to your book that includes the first book. It makes no sense for you to do. The sequel certainly incorporates elements and improvements from the previous book, such as the increase in refinement your writing has achieved from initial publication and the broader scope of the story's world, but you still want the original book to continue selling. If people complained that buying the sequel to the book means they should get the first one free since it means they're paying for the elements the second book brought over twice, they would quickly be dismissed for being silly. The best course of action for everyone involved is to continue selling the first book at a lowered price, while focusing marketing and income on the buzz over the sequel.

Can you imagine how people that bought G&K would feel if they did include all the civs ;)

Besides, G&K doesn't cost anything, you can get it cheap everywhere. Wait until Civ is on sale again on Steam one of the coming days.

Wait. So if my friend wants BNW does he also have to buy G&K for its civs? I have G&K but he doesn't even have civ. Soo.... Buying G&K will also give him civs/scenarios, or more than that?
Just have them buy the Gold Edition and BNW - gold doesn't cost much more than the GotY or basic.

I don't get the whine about this. Suppose they include everything from previous DLC's and expansions in the next one - what would that result in? The first expansion would become worthless, as happened with Warlords.

Really? Oh, wow, that's annoying. Why?

Because that's how you get them. Come on, they already gave you other features for free.

Beyond the Sword was also a buggy pile of twitching goo that some fans made playable.

Top Bottom