Caveman 2 Cosmos

Unless things have changed, you can't build Jewelry shop without a Gem Cutter, and that you need Gems. The crime produced by a Jewelry shop is so much more than cost of the law unit required to counter it; I can't imagine not building them.

I've gone out of my way to plop a city in a horrible place (all permafrost with only 1 sea lion and empty ocean tiles for food) just to grab a gem site, or started wars to ensure I had access. Once I was lucky and a mine found diamonds, with just a bit of effort to get the buildings and lawmen in place I no longer had a :gold: problem.

One thing about getting gold and getting well ahead in the game is your luck with the goody huts. I have had great luck with them, getting techs and parts of techs left and right. I have also been getting hunters well ahead of when I research the tech for them. I did notice that gold does not come from them as often, but getting up to 3 hunters way earlier than the tech for them comes, negates it since I love to explore. Some of this also though may come from only having 6 civs on a giant map though, leaving much of the map untouched until I open it up. Another thing I do on the first turn is to split my unit I get into 3 parts and give it all the extra moves it can get so I can explore. It lose much of its strength of course, but that does not concern me any. All I want is the goody huts out there.

I think I will try this with the Jewellery

1) Remove all current prerequisites except the tech.

2) Require there to be a Bead Maker in the city. Bead Makers no longer go obsolete.

3) if they aren't there add some commerce yields for any of the old prerequisites that don't already.

4) Perhaps require a number of Bead Makers to build a Jewellery, just like in vanilla BtS where it requires 3 temples before you can build a cathedral.

Another thing I do on the first turn is to split my unit I get into 3 parts and give it all the extra moves it can get so I can explore. It lose much of its strength of course, but that does not concern me any.

Anotehr reason I dislike SM as I consider most units up until the Classic era to be a single person and you can't split a single person and still have a viable unit.

Why would Jewelers be limited to 1/3 of your cities? Oh, I live in Baltimore, can't find a jewelry shop, nope not in Philly either. Better head up to New York City.

Jewellery is made from hair also flowers. I am not sure what Hydro was wanting with this line of buildings.
Not sure that would be a really qualifying factor for the Jeweler since such jewelry wouldn't have the permanency that our standard concept of it may be and would likely be much less valuable. Not to say it wouldn't exist... you could have elegant jewelry made out of cloth too. But are we finding, perhaps, cause for some other more minor buildings in this?

Or... better yet, give the building a reduced base gold value and start infusing some additional gold based on the access to various jewel-generating resources then only require one of those to be present. Beads from fine clay are but one such resource. Precious metals would play a role. Feathers, fine fur, sure... flowers, fine cloth. Perhaps even marble. But the additional value would be somewhat equated to the value of the material. Would this not model the effect fairly directly?

OK I'll leave them as they are.

edit I realised afterwards that you were suggestng that Jewellery require population 40 or more.
I think he was only suggesting that your 4th point may not be completely valid. I get the thinking you have there and don't dislike it but perhaps that's more appropriate for later master jewelers that emerged further down the tech tree. This gets back to the 'production' vs 'retail' confusion we allow many building types to have. There are probably few true producers of quality jewelry but there would easily be a jewelry outlet nearly everywhere.

I was thinking more along the lines of Jeweler for low quality or every day jewellery; Master Jeweler for when you have elite housing or middle housing in rich countries and Elite Jeweler for when you have the highest type of housing ie your Palace and similar.

Even in the Middle Ages through Industrial/Colonial eras the seller of jewellery would have been an itinerant job in all but the biggest cities probably only the place where the Court was would have permanent workshops and stores.

That model would be suitable... I think. Maybe still consider infusing a little of the suggestions I proposed perhaps (since even a low quality jeweler is going to have variation in profitability based on what he has access to using) and it would be spot on I think. Obviously the Master Jeweler would have greater focus on the more expensive materials and would scoff at the lesser expense stuff.

Do V36 healers now only heal x units per turn or does the whole stack also benefit some amount?

They only heal X units per turn. Promotions that add more healing value and upgrades will expand how many they can assist in a round. One of the unit help hover pages accessed by hotkeys will show how many units they can assist in healing in a round.

I just came back to Civ 4 since Civ 5 mods are utterly frustrating to get to work, and saw this. I am installing the game as we speak and hope all goes well since Civ4 never was installed on Windows 7.

I am so looking forward to this I can not even describe it. The whole mod(pack) is basically the wet dream of any civ player!

I just came back to Civ 4 since Civ 5 mods are utterly frustrating to get to work, and saw this. I am installing the game as we speak and hope all goes well since Civ4 never was installed on Windows 7.

I am so looking forward to this I can not even describe it. The whole mod(pack) is basically the wet dream of any civ player!

Civ 4 works fine on windows 7; hope you'll enjoy it. ;)

Works great on XP, Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/ and 10 just fine, but waaay better with an SSD card . :)

Thanks, Install worked fine and mod itsself installed. What I noticed is that on larger map sizes the game freezes for 10+ minutes on the largest map settings with 50 civs on perfectworld2 map.

What settings would one recommend at max for my machine in terms of number of civs and map size?

Phenom II X4 955 BE
GTX 750Ti

8 Gig of ram (Is Civ 4 - BTS Large adress aware?)

What settings would one recommend at max for my machine in terms of number of civs and map size?
Is Civ 4 - BTS Large adress aware?

Certainly not 50 civs. If you want to play beyond renaissance, even 15 civs is pushing it, especially with respect to turn times.

Regarding Large addresses, not by itself. You have to patch the BTS exe with http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Edit: This doesn't transform BTS into 64bit (most unfortunately), but allows BTS to address the full 4 GB a 32bit application can use.

Certainly not 50 civs. If you want to play beyond renaissance, even 15 civs is pushing it, especially with respect to turn times.

Regarding Large addresses, not by itself. You have to patch the BTS exe with http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Edit: This doesn't transform BTS into 64bit (most unfortunately), but allows BTS to address the full 4 GB a 32bit application can use.

Thanks for the headsup :)
I dont mind if it takes 5 minutes to process a turn as long as it actually works and does not outright crash :)

I normally used CFF explorer to set the flag for large adress awareness. I am aware that it only let it use the register of the full 32 bit adress space and not the whole 8 gig but with something as heavily modded every bit counts :)

I think I will go with 15 civs to start and slowly up it if things work smoothly. Now all left to decide is what gamespeed to use since I have no sense of scale I tend to opt for Eternity but I might fall flat on my face.

Thanks for the headsup :)
I dont mind if it takes 5 minutes to process a turn as long as it actually works and does not outright crash :)

I normally used CFF explorer to set the flag for large adress awareness. I am aware that it only let it use the register of the full 32 bit adress space and not the whole 8 gig but with something as heavily modded every bit counts :)

I think I will go with 15 civs to start and slowly up it if things work smoothly. Now all left to decide is what gamespeed to use since I have no sense of scale I tend to opt for Eternity but I might fall flat on my face.

With the NEW SVN, i start with 3 civs, and within 200 turns, the civs are past 8 civs, and climbing . . so do beware of this . . .

Top Bottom