Windows 7 update

girlfan

Chieftain
Yesterday's (9 September) updates of W7 have prevented my old (CD-ROM) version of SMAC from running. I have done a system restore to get rid of the updates and it runs again, but this is only a temporary solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try installing this official patch. It removes the need to have the CD in the drive. If that doesn't help, do you know which specific W7 patch broke the game?

Same problem here.
After Windows7 Update Civ (Bey the sword) does not work anymore.
Usually when starting the game, windows 7 message pops up that (if i remember correct) the colour schema has to be adjusted. After that a flash and civ was starting.
Now I get a flash (short black screen) and then nothing. :-(

Appreciate help...

Same problem here.
After Windows7 Update Civ (Bey the sword) does not work anymore.
Usually when starting the game, windows 7 message pops up that (if i remember correct) the colour schema has to be adjusted. After that a flash and civ was starting.
Now I get a flash (short black screen) and then nothing. :-(

Appreciate help...

Welcome to CivFanatics!

Your problem appears to be with Civ 4 (Beyond the Sword). I suggest that you post your question in the Civ 4 Tech Support forum. This forum is for issues about the game of Alpha Centauri. Good luck.

There is also a workaround. From the Civ4 Game of the Month forum:
Attention everyone! A recent security patch on Windows 7 means that you may find Civ4 vanilla and Warlords no longer start.

The security patch comes with a recent batch of Windows updates, and it disables the service that verifies your dvd is genuine. Apparently security issues have been discovered with the service. The issue doesn't affect BtS (because BtS doesn't try to verify the dvd), and it won't affect you if you're using Steam (because - obviously - no dvd!).

If you want to know the gory technical details:

Discussion on civfanatics here
Details of the workaround here (Microsoft knowledge base article),
and here (myonlinesecurity.co.uk article).

(Thanks to High King J.J. for tracking down those links).

If you just want a quick fix:

To fix the issue, you'll need to temporarily re-enable the service just before you start civ.

1. Start the command prompt as an administrator. To do this, click the Windows button and type cmd in the textbox at the bottom. Then - this is important - hit CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER. (Don't just hit Enter, as that won't run as an administrator). You'll see the command prompt window - a black window that let's you type in commands.

2. In this window type in the following two commands - on each one hit enter, and then wait for the command to complete (a few seconds).
Code:
sc config secdrv start= demand
sc start secdrv
You'll now be able to start Civ. Note the spaces are important in these commands.

3. Once civ has started, you really ought to stop the service (because it has a security vulnerability - although it won't stop civ working if you don't do this). To do this, in the same window type
Code:
sc stop secdrv

Unfortunately you'll need to do this every time you start civ (if you don't bother stopping the service, you won't need to do it again until you reboot your computer).

As an alternative to step 2, if you want an easy life, you can type in
Code:
sc config secdrv start= auto
sc start secdrv
This should set the service back to how it was before the security patch - always running so you'll always be able to start Civ in the future without going through this annoying procedure (until MS disable it again, which I wouldn't be surprised if they do). However, this isn't recommended due to the service having a security vulnerability.

Thanks for the information leif. Temporarily enabling the secdrv.sys service should allow SMAC or SMAX to run. Doing so introduces a security hole (but no worse than before the update) and makes for more work. A better solution is to obtain a version of the game that doesn't require the game disc to be in the drive when starting the game. Such versions are legal and easy to find. For example, GOG offers an inexpensive version of both games that doesn't require a CD. For those who pay just SMAC and have this problem, I offered another solution in post #2 of this thread. Please post here if either game doesn't run after the latest Windows updates and you need more information about how to get the game to work.

Hello, I used to play SMAC/X a lot when the games were first released and have just re-installed them on my new laptop. I've got the original DVDs but have had a bit of a hunt to try to find the official patches - most web sites are still pointing to Firaxis but the page no longer exists.

Both games ran fine without the patches but SMAX has suddenly stopped working and I expect it's the Windows update problem you've addressed here (thanks!) I was in the process of finding the patches anyway, so currently I have a vanilla install, completely unpatched. I would appreciate your advice - the patches I've downloaded are:

• smacp4e
  • smacxpv2
  • SMAC_Win2000_XP_Compatibility_Update_v1.03f

Does the Win2000 patch completely replace smacp4e? And do I still need to install the SMAX v2 patch first, or is that no longer an issue?

Apologies if this has been asked a zillion times before - I have spent quite a time searching and haven't come up with anything definitive.

Hi Misotu,

I remember you from Apolyton, where you were considered one of the best at multiplayer.

Install the games from the original discs, then install the SMAX 2.0 patch followed by the SMAC Win 2K/XP update. The older smacp4e patch is no longer needed. Doing so should allow SMAC to run. However, SMAX won't run (after the recent Win 7 patch) because it still has DRM (requires disc to be in the drive). You can solve this problem in one of two ways:

1. Download and install scient's unofficial patch 1.0 for SMAX, found here. This patch removes DRM from SMAX and also fixes many bugs. You also can install the unofficial patch for SMAC, if you wish. (There's a more recent version, 2.0, of scient's patch, but I've never got around to installing it.)
2. Download and install GOG's version of the games. See my prior post for a link to GOG. Gog's version includes all official patches, is optimized for modern OS's and removes all DRM. It should run without further modifications.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Top Bottom