Civs without cities?!?

housendancer

Chieftain
So while I was fighting a war against the Ottomans, Portugal was going to capture the last city of the Romans. Since I didn't want to lose the Romans and also didn't want to fight against Portugal, I gave them a newly captured Ottoman city on the other side of the map, which the Romans unsurprisingly started to raze.

Interestingly, the Romans continued razing this city, even when it became their last one + capital.

Curious what was going to happen, I waited untill the city was destroyed.
I expected Rome to be defeated (succesful suicide you could say), but instead of this Rome was still in the diplomacy-list, I was able to trade with them, they just didn't have any city left (nor any ressources or income)!

So what, is this a bug or did I miss something :confused:?

Can you establish an embassy in Rome's Capital or place a Spy there? What is Rome's score for cities. Maybe they had a settler who founded a new city at the end of the world recently ...

Hmm yes. It would take quite a bit of wandering at the end of the game!

What gets revealed when you trade embassies with Rome? Maybe he has a really, really bad city in the snow somewhere.

Or maybe it's a legit bug.

The same or similar thing would happen when I played a duel map with a bunch of civs. Sometimes one or two settlers would not be able to found a first city. If I stole the settler, the civ would remain in the game until the starting warrior unit was killed.

I didn't have "complete kills" on or anything like that. Other civs would be out if I took their last city. It was just the civs that never founded a city that would stay in the game when the initial settler was stolen...

If a civ never founded the first city, then it can survive until every unit is killed. However once it get the first city (either through founding city or capturing the first), it'll be eliminated once all its cities are captured. Obviously in OP's case, if you already captured city, it must've had cities so there's some city left in the game, or it's a legit bug.

What gets revealed when you trade embassies with Rome? Maybe he has a really, really bad city in the snow somewhere.

Or maybe it's a legit bug.

We already exchanged embassies, there is no city :p Also, trading behaves normal, I could trade him ressources and cities. He just doesn't have any own ressources or positive/negative income...

Can you establish an embassy in Rome's Capital or place a Spy there? What is Rome's score for cities. Maybe they had a settler who founded a new city at the end of the world recently ...

I'd say a settler has founded a crappy city on Tundra somewhere!!

Very unlikely, I'm pretty late in endgame, explored everything and I notice, if someone founds a new city somewhere.
Rome has no city in which I could place a spy...

-------

Ok I think I found the/a reason: I was scrolling through demographics, where Rome is last place nearly everywhere (Land, for example: 0), but noticed that Rome isn't last place in "Soldiers".
So I searched a bit and found to my surprise a very lively roman XCOM-Squad, which I gave him several turns ago, hanging around nearby one of my cities (he was still somewhere in "Modern Era", so couldn't produce them himself).

I didn't enable "complete kills" and I defeated Civs with remaining units before in this game.

I don't think Rome is able to overwrite GameRules just for himself to stay alive, so what happened :eek2:?

They probably coded it so the check would only trigger on capture of a city. If I had coded the game, I wouldn't have thought to add it to city-razing as well because who'd ever raze their last city? lol

They probably coded it so the check would only trigger on capture of a city. If I had coded the game, I wouldn't have thought to add it to city-razing as well because who'd ever raze their last city? lol

Maybe it was Nero in charge of Rome. He did play the fiddle while Rome burned.

Top Bottom