Quick diplo/warmonger questions

I just picked up Civ V Complete, a mere six years late to the party. Played 1000's of hours of II-IV. I'm playing a few games of Vanilla before adding the DLC's and finding diplomacy pretty crazy. I've read a few threads and guides, but I'm not totally sure what was changed in various patches/DLC's. So if anyone plays/remembers the current vanilla patch...

1) Wiping out a major civ - This will peg you as a warmongering menace (practically) forever, correct?

2) Conquering a city state - Is this equivalent to eliminating a major civ or not? I can't find a clear answer.

3) Multiple captures - Each city you capture adds to your warmonger status, correct?

4) Multiple DoW's - If you DoW, sign a peace treaty to rest/reorganize, wait for it expire, then DoW the same civ again, do you get the diplo hit each time?

5) DoW upon request - If you declare on a Civ at another's request, do you take the penalty or not?

At first glance, it seems like the entire diplomatic shape of the game is completely different than II-IV. You seem far more limited to your initial expansion now. You might pick up a handful of cities in skirmishes, but going on a bloody midgame expansion conquest (as in almost every game of IV ever) seems to hit you with insane penalties that effectively never fade.

I advise you to play brave new world. Civ 5 vanilla has a wierd warmonger penalty you get one for DECLARING WAR. While in brave new world expansion you get one for taking a city like you explained.Civ 5 diplomacy is broken before expansion you get penalty for declaring war. even though you didnt capture any cities.

1) Wiping out a major civ - This will peg you as a warmongering menace (practically) forever, correct?

the penalty for wiping out a civilization exist in both vanilla and expansion so DONT DO IT. Everyone will hate you.

2) Conquering a city state - Is this equivalent to eliminating a major civ or not? I can't find a clear answer.

The penalty for conquering a city state is olso in vanilla and expansion. and everyone will hate you because you wiped out a minor power. its not the same warmonger penalty as wiping out a major but a lot of leaders have a high city state protection so will get mad if you whipe a city state out. So thats why it looks like the penalty for wiping out a major is the same as a minor.

However i noticed that in the expansions especially brave new world that some leaders care less about conquering a city state and not the whole world will hate you.

4) Multiple DoW's - If you DoW, sign a peace treaty to rest/reorganize, wait for it expire, then DoW the same civ again, do you get the diplo hit each time?
You get diplomatic hit each time you declare war even if its the same civ. When you declare 2 times people start having negative modifiers of warmongering.

thats why people used to call" free war" when they declared war first time for stealing a worker. its when you declared a second time people start hating you.

5) DoW upon request - If you declare on a Civ at another's request, do you take the penalty or not?

Yes you do. Thats why civ 5 diplo is broken play with brave new world. the warmonger penalty is much better you only get major penalties for capturing cities so declaring war isnt a big deal.

Civ II... no single-player game has consumed more hours of my life!
(maybe only StarCraft logged more hours)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom