Is Human Controlled Huns the Most OP Civ?

mitsuko

Chieftain
Ok I generally don't do a lot of early game warmongering, so I'd never played Attila before. But I wanted to play Great Plains map so I thought their pasture ability would be really great on that map so I picked them. I spawned right in the middle of the map and pastures were everywhere and the UA was even more awesome than I expected.

Now for what makes them OP.

Firstly, when you have a Warrior that gets upgraded in a goody hut, it turns into a Battering Ram. This is just insane and really broken. If anyone here plays Magic the Gathering, this is like the equivalent of a turn 1 combo win. With a Battering Ram this early you can 1 or 2 hit kill any city on the map. I didn't want to ruin the game so I restrained myself from taking anyone's capital with this ram. Instead I used it to demand tribute from 6 or 7 CS that were in my area so I could rushbuy a Worker.

My neighbor to the west, the Incas, tried to forward settle a spot I really needed so I razed their city. Then awhile later before I was able to get my 2nd Settler out, they settled it again. This time they defended a bit better so my Rams didn't have a clear path, so while I was building up a Horse Archer army to raze this city, my neighbors to the east, the Mongols, declared war on me. We traded my 2nd city back and forth a couple of times, but their army was just too massive so I retreated to my capital all the while using my Horse Archers to weaken their horde. My capital was in a really strong defensive position built right between two parallel rivers, so I was able to eventually crush their army. Then I took my other city back, took their capital, razed their other city, and liberated 2 city states to eliminate them from the game.

At this point, everyone else in the game hated me from my liberal use of the Raze button. So Egypt and the Shoshone declared war on me. Long story short, when you have 10 Horse Archers (don't require horse resource!!) and most of them have Accuracy 3, March, Logistics, and some had Range as well, any war is ridiculously easy to win. I easily crushed them, completely eliminating Egypt and taking Shoshone 2nd best city in a peace deal, which I then razed just for the fun of it :lol: I then had like 2.5x the score of the 2nd place civ in the game but I just decided to quit because it was inevitable that I could easily win a Domination victory and I was still in the Classical era.

So back to my question, are the Huns the most OP civ in the hands of a human player? And if not, who is?

So back to my question, are the Huns the most OP civ in the hands of a human player? And if not, who is?

On Great Plains maybe, now try Huns on archipelago/continents...

That's why civs considered commonly most OP are those which bonuses are constant, not dependent on maps (Poland, Babylon, Korea)

On Great Plains maybe, now try Huns on archipelago/continents...

That's why civs considered commonly most OP are those which bonuses are constant, not dependent on maps (Poland, Babylon, Korea)

Yea, I guess I did set myself up for victory by playing the Great Plains map and could see how they wouldn't be very good on other maps, especially water maps they would be completely neutralized.

But the goody hut Battering Ram thing is just so overpowered. If you get that, you can take someone else's capital right at the beginning of the game.

Horse Archers were also much more impressive than I expected. Their combination of mobility and range is just unrivaled in the early game.

This is the sole strategy that I know of that results in under turn 100 Deity Domination victories on standard-sized maps.

You go great plains to ensure you have open space, keep trying till you get a lucky goody hut, then start pulverizing. Beeline horse archers for support. Honor of course.

I'm pretty sure sub-100 is also possible with Egypt, but no one has bothered so do it because Huns is just so much better at it.

In the right conditions the most OP civ in the game is Spain.

In the right conditions the most OP civ in the game is Spain.

Yes we know that but it was already mentioned above that Spain are situational based whereas the top Civs are the ones who get a good start no matter what

I'll be honest, the situations where Spain is OP are so rare I've never experienced it myself. Maybe it would be more common if I rerolled a bunch but I don't like to play that way so I much prefer a solid ability that works every time. With Spain I might get one NW if I really explore and try and it's usually not a great one or far away making the ability not so good on Deity.

Visualize this, if you would; (cue "Twilight Zone" theme music) a jungle world, Pangea or Fractal, a FUMBUK class start (6 rings of jungle, a river, a hill in 3rd ring, 1 salt, 2 citrus, 2 horse and iron in city limits, 7 AIs ALL closer than the CSs, 18 CSs, starring in the TARZAN scenerio !!

Our Hero Civ, Venice, shall try to survive, and maybe thrive !!

Watch the struggles of the Dry River Jewel as it outlasts their foes, barb and AI !!

Opening in theaters near YOU, real soon !!

Even in non-plains maps Huns can be so powerful. Their UA is so good and absolutely best Warmonger, imho.

Yes we know that but it was already mentioned above that Spain are situational based whereas the top Civs are the ones who get a good start no matter what

which is exactly what vadalaz said, your point?

@topic: Huns are absolutely crazy on Great Plains map

I thinx korea is more overpowered because they are good on any map. And the Huns are only good at pangea and preferable flat terain where civilizations are close to eachother so units dont go obselete.

The science boost is to powerfull. You can easy compete with deity AI with science if you play korea.

Korea is certainly one of the most powerful and well-rounded civs for science, but I think this post was in the context of civs good for conquering the world. Korea can do it, of course, but will be significantly slower then the huns.

On Deity keeping up in science is less of a problem then you might think. You can do it with any civ because there are advantages to playing from behind. All your techs get cheaper the more people have researched it first. Trade routes generate lots of early science to catch up to neighboring civs that don't get an early science boost like Babylon, Maya, or Korea. Then you have tech stealing, which gets you far fewer techs if you become the tech leader early. Once you beeline plastics if you've focused on your science you'll quickly be ahead on Deity with any civ. Don't get me wrong, I think Korea is one of the most powerful civs out there if your intention is to get ahead fast and stay there going for some kind of speed science record, but you don't need to do this to win a science race because the AI is terrible at building the spaceship. They don't save their scientists, they don't prioritize hubble, and they don't pick up info era techs in the right order. You actually don't even need to be tech leader, just have good production or gold and save some scientists.

So honestly something like the Huns which can wipe out 4 early civs easily seems more fun to me. Just a personal preference. These tier lists which rank civs are useful but less useful when they are comparing civs across win conditions. Korea is obviously going for science victory and the huns for domination. If put on the same map and the Huns rush Korea they will fall like everyone else. If Assyria, Assyria will kill them AND steal all their early tech lead for themselves. The situation is not so simple in my mind as which AI is most reliable at beating the AI. You realize this when you play multiplayer games and you actually get to see intelligent people play these civs against each other. Huns are super reliable for early rush and very hard to stand up against. Sure, in a rough, continents, or large world they may only take out 5 neighbors before their UU gets obsolete but that's still great, I disagree that they are only good on flat pangaea, that's just where taking out neighbors is so easy it's laughable--they work just fine on any map for what they do: easy early rushing. Just because they can't ALWAYS score a sub-100 Deity domination doesn't mean they are bad. If you went honor and leveled your troops killing the rest will still be easy.

The problem is that the Huns are strong in the early phase of the game, and going on a conquest spree on the early phase of the game is only worth if you are playing against few civs on a land map.

If the conditions are something like small map pangea then yes, you can go for a very fast conquest victory. Else you'll just destroy your neighbours but on far away lands the remaining civs will be more developed and totally angry at you, which isn't exactly a good thing.

I still prefer Genghis Khan as a conquering Civ for long term domination victory (provided it isn't and archipelago or small continent map), its Keshiks are simply OP.

Mongols or Arabia in the hands of a human player is OP. The Huns can be negated by spamming warriors. If your cities can pump 1 out every turn or so then you should be OK. I learned this from an AI France.......

Top Bottom