Deity Challenge Line-up - ALL PLAYERS PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

consentient

Domination!
Attention all DCL players:

I had a notion this afternoon for a fun new idea, and wanted to 'run it by' the community.

In the event of facing a difficult choice between two maps for the final decision of what will be the next DCL, I could post a poll to the current DCL, and players from the Finishers List can vote if they have a preference.

This way people will have a little more choice in what Civ they want to see, it promotes people submitting their finishes (so they can have a say in it), and I don't think it ruins the surprise, since I will post the poll on the day before the map is released (like today).

The poll could either just state the civ and the map type, or have T0 screenshots as well.

What do you think?

I like it and with screenshots :) But who are the "Finishers List"? What if someone has finished only a couple of DCL games?

The Finisher's list is a list of people who have submitted their game on the DCL thread, for any or all of the DCL games. I inherited the list from Dinglebirdy after I took over as host, went through all the DCL threads to update it, and have kept it up to date for the last few DCLs.

It's available for viewing on the first page of the DCL #11 thread.

Currently, only I have write access to this file, but would welcome other volunteers who wish to assist ;)

@SharkDiver: NO, you cannot vote for both maps :p

OK there were no major objections, so here are the two choices for DCL #12. If you have previously submitted to the DCL Finishers list, please vote for which map you would like to see.

The losing map will be carried forward to the next DCL where again, you will have a choice between that one, or another new choice.

Hope this makes sense. It's kinda like the loser of a boxing championship goes up against the next contender.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-11-20 20.10.52.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-11-20 20.10.52.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 215
We should clearly have cumulative amount of votes; one for 1st submit, two for 2nd & so forth and those who have played them all have veto power.
Slightly more seriously, both starts are (too) good but I'd really like to see Pacal's starting location being much, much worse than this so my vote goes to Nappy.

I have no vote, as I've never submitted to the finishers list, but I would go for #2 in the interests of playing something grossly overpowered.

[But either looks fun!]

I know your gonna think this vote is either funny or not funny but I vote for both.
Put both up for the 2 weeks so I can play both :)! However if I have to choose I'll
go with what Grendeldef said since this player seems to have a grasp on what
makes the game more difficult from looking at the start so that is France right lol?

Thanks for getting the spreadsheet up and running. TBH I'd prefer to choose a civilization rather than a start, because part of the fun of this is dealing with sub-optimal starting locations =)

I believe you should temper the use of voting.

e.g., choose two maps with rough starts or two maps with strong starts or two maps with desert starts. this way there is variety from one game to the next because it is forced on us, but there is choice also.

e.g., generate a short random list of leaders that haven't been picked for the last 10 challenges.

The problem with making the same voting options for mostly the same population is that you'll get mostly the same answers, most of the time. But if it adds to the experience to have voting, avoid making the votes freeform if you want greater variety.

Finally you could consolidate both choices (start, civ) into a single poll to make it easier to handle. For example you might show three maps with desert starts and three different civs. Or the same but with tundra starts, jungle starts, grassland starts, or plains starts.

But that's just my opinion. :)

Ok, I vote for Pacal, so we have two votes a piece. Anyone care to break the tie?

Since I've been known to display multiple personalities, my alter-ego (one of them) seems to like the desert start also. Does this count as a tie-breaker?

The problem with making the same voting options for mostly the same population is that you'll get mostly the same answers, most of the time. But if it adds to the experience to have voting, avoid making the votes freeform if you want greater variety.

Maybe, but most of us want variety. Something different to explore the game in new ways.

I voted for Pacal this time, only because I've never tried him with a Petra possibility…..I actually am not good at utilizing his UA.

A few days ago, I found myself hoping for a French game, as I find CV to be very fun. My future votes will likely be equally illogical.

IOW, let's not overcomplicate it……..Consentient is doing a good job.

It might not seem like 30 mins is much time to allow for a tie-breaker, but I have to get ready for work and I want to post the map before I leave, so I'm going to take bigwillystyle's vote as the tie-breaker, since even though he didn't YET post to the finisher's list, he is a keen player, and will likely be on the list after this one (assuming his neighbours don't prevent this!)

Pacal it is. Map will be up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom