Best Natural Wonder?

But LOOK at them! They are huge and bulky and REALLY impassable! :cool:

Point taken. I'm pretty sure I've noticed barbarian units staying away from REALLY impassable objects even more than the typical run-of-the-mill impassable objects. In fact, I find myself changing my warlike tendencies when I encounter an AI hiding behind REALLY impassable wonders…….it's just too intimidating and I don't trust my troops' morale. Tis scary stuff indeed.

can Carthage's move-over-mtns ability be used on NWs that are considered mtns? or the late game helicopter units that can hover over mtns?

I just tested this out. Nope, apparently they REALLY are REALLY impassable.

I guess you have to work for Greenpeace to walk on Natural Wonders (wondering if anyone will get this joke).

Lake victoria is one of the worst wonders, highly overrated. You dont need that amount of food early

Does anyone have time to find a Lake Victoria start and post it?

Just rolled a Lake Victoria start!

Immortal, Pangea, Iroqouis. (The lake is close to startlocation north east.)

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    498.2 KB · Views: 54
Lake victoria is one of the worst wonders, highly overrated. You dont need that amount of food early

I'm going to have to disagree here. I'm guessing you are worried about the happiness issues of too much early growth? That's kind of a good problem to have. However, if you have Victoria, you build mines, work those instead of food, and now you have an uber-production city very early. Kicking out archers in 2 turns is kind of nice.

BTW, it's better than Solomon's Mines. With SM, 2 improved grassland + SM = 6 food and 6 production. With LV, 2 mined hills + LV = 6 food and 6 production. The difference is that with LV you grow to pop 2 and 3 many turns more quickly and thus can take advantage of that production much sooner.

I'm going to have to disagree here. I'm guessing you are worried about the happiness issues of too much early growth? That's kind of a good problem to have. However, if you have Victoria, you build mines, work those instead of food, and now you have an uber-production city very early. Kicking out archers in 2 turns is kind of nice.

BTW, it's better than Solomon's Mines. With SM, 2 improved grassland + SM = 6 food and 6 production. With LV, 2 mined hills + LV = 6 food and 6 production. The difference is that with LV you grow to pop 2 and 3 many turns more quickly and thus can take advantage of that production much sooner.

Provided there is hills nearby, not often the case. Would much rather have the faith ones since its just much more important to get a strong religion than have some extra food in your expo. Especially when you are doing 4-6 cities

since i never start near LV, i love it when i find it in a settle-able area. as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th city it is wonderful. it once justified a miserable tundra area because i could get the oil i needed and fill a couple scientists slots that otherwise would have taken forever to get to.

Would much rather have the faith ones since its just much more important to get a strong religion than have some extra food in your expo.

Quite often, I would agree. I'm not saying LV is the best NW, just that it is far from useless and can be very powerful in some circumstances. I also love getting a religious NW, as not having to build early shrines to get a religion frees up production for other uses.

I'd like to see some Natural Anti-Wonders:

Mt. St. Helens: Every tiles within 3 hexes gets -1 production.

Tar Pits: They would be about 3 x 3 and all units take a full turn to move 1 hex.

Bermuda Triangle: All units within 3 hexes have a 10% chance/turn of disappearing forever.

Tornado Alley: Random tornadoes will hit cities doing damage similar to nuclear bomb.

Hurricane Alley?

Any other suggestions?

I I think all those 3 hex wide areas a bit to large. And let's not forget that the Bermuda Triangle is an incredibly busy shipping lane, which is why boats disappear: there's a lot of them. I'd still say it fits for civ, but it would be pretty annoying.

Hm...while the idea is cool nothing much comes to mind. New Jersey State? Really, anything weird in nature ends up benefiting stuff regardless. Uh...Pompeii? Surrounding tiles have no yields and cannot be settled on. But some archeological digs could be done for...stuff.

Death Valley?

I like the holy mountains, even Mt. Fuji can work. Take the benefit with mountains and just crank out faith early. Of course faith peters out. I really think opening Piety is not optimal and then the other social policies from city state diplomacy to exploration to rationalism it is hard to put the effort into Piety to finish it. I forced myself to do it many times for non-existent roleplay bonus, but the optimal opening even with all the patches unless you have a Civ specific super tactic is probably tradition or crack open Honor to get the anti-barbarian bonus then Tradition.

I do think the natural wonders can be not worth the effort. Some games I've had two and my cities were hard to defend or I just upset my neighbours by expanding too fast. I generally play very peacefully and trade my way to a diplomatic victory, but I see a war civ soon as I've beat the game with many people now.

Spain can be the ultimate tease, you spend so much effort ti settle the City of Gold and you still end up losing... Spain is also very cyclical, sometimes you get a great start other times you do not.

I've been playing a bit of Spain lately inspired by this thread. On my first attempt I got Krakatoa and everything was peachy except I got distracted by religion, my second attempt no NW so a re-roll, and my current game I've got Mt Kilimanjaro. The problem is, if you can call it that is I generated too much culture early on and had to pick a policy that wasn't Rationalism after completing Tradition. I don't like this as your choice usually dictates what happens next. You get 3 real choices; Patronage, Commerce, or Aesthetics which usually mean perusing a certain VC or ideology. In my case I picked Patronage and subsequently Autocracy because I though "hey I'll go for a diplo victory".

I've been playing a bit of Spain lately inspired by this thread. On my first attempt I got Krakatoa and everything was peachy except I got distracted by religion, my second attempt no NW so a re-roll, and my current game I've got Mt Kilimanjaro. The problem is, if you can call it that is I generated too much culture early on and had to pick a policy that wasn't Rationalism after completing Tradition. I don't like this as your choice usually dictates what happens next. You get 3 real choices; Patronage, Commerce, or Aesthetics which usually mean perusing a certain VC or ideology. In my case I picked Patronage and subsequently Autocracy because I though "hey I'll go for a diplo victory".
Since this 'problem' also ocurred with me a few times, I always turn 'Policy Saving' on. A couple of games ago I stumbled on Mt Kilimanjaro on t6, maybe not that special but I was playing as.. The Inca! Without a doubt the most easy DV I've ever won :goodjob:

Top Bottom