Tile yield optimization

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
How do you judge what to build on a particular tile?

1. Farming a river hill tile is I suppose more acceptable than mining it because Civil Service comes early enough. Hydro Plant makes that a 2/3 by the end, 3/4 if on a desert with Petra. Should you convert to mine once Fertilizer is available

2. Always Trading post on a flat Jungle tile. If it's a Jungle hill, clearing and mining is better. Ends up with a decent amount of everything but not a lot of anything in particular. Except Brazil I guess.

3. What to do with bad 1/1 plains with no river/lake? I generally only hope I can uncover something there (Horses) but otherwise, I tend not to bother with them. Is Trading post viable on those tiles or should you try and save them for Academy/Manufactory/Holy Site?

4. A bit unrelated, I don't suppose you can in any way trick the algorithm that selects next tile to expand to other than just buying the tile you need most immediately?

1. Farming a river hill tile is I suppose more acceptable than mining it because Civil Service comes early enough. Hydro Plant makes that a 2/3 by the end, 3/4 if on a desert with Petra. Should you convert to mine once Fertilizer is available

2. Always Trading post on a flat Jungle tile. If it's a Jungle hill, clearing and mining is better. Ends up with a decent amount of everything but not a lot of anything in particular. Except Brazil I guess.

3. What to do with bad 1/1 plains with no river/lake? I generally only hope I can uncover something there (Horses) but otherwise, I tend not to bother with them. Is Trading post viable on those tiles or should you try and save them for Academy/Manufactory/Holy Site?

4. A bit unrelated, I don't suppose you can in any way trick the algorithm that selects next tile to expand to other than just buying the tile you need most immediately?

1. I just do this according to need, but I often have mines because I'm a production whore. I also like to be able to switch full production for wonders, and having a 2/2 or 3/2 tile isn't always best for that type of optimization.

2. I hate jungles, but follow those same moves.

3. I usually farm on plains, just for a slight food increase. I don't like putting great people improvements on plains because then they're not supporting their own food cost.

4. I think having the tech researched for the resource you want impacts that algorithm. Sometimes I forget to get quarries and wonder why I'm not expanding to marble. :confused:

Sometimes I park units on the tile I want to expand into. I'm not sure if it really does any good.

For me, it's a math test for each city. I want to be able to go 100% into production mode at certain times (when building a Wonder or WF is going on). I should know when those situations are coming up. So, I figure out how many high food tiles I have, and that determines how many mines to build and how many farms to build.

Example: WF is coming up in 20 turns. Expo #2 will be population 12 at that time. This means, assuming no trade routes, that I need 2 food for every 1 population. Let's assume I just have a granary. The granary pays for 1 mine. Now I have 11 population which requires 22 food. Start with your best food tile(s) and pair them up with a low food high production tile. You want to find a combination that maximizes production without going negative in food. At the end of the day, you'll have a few tiles in the middle that can go either direction.

So the short answer to your question, assuming you have more than a couple of those tiles is………I usually do both. High food cities get more mines. Low food cities get more farms.

(As an aside, I always go full production with a Golden Age for WF, try to get every other civ in a war 5 turns prior, AND I have every settler chopping trees that I've saved for this purpose. This almost always works on Deity, with the rare exception of an early runaway.)

One thing I discovered recently (I must be slow) is that you can do things like clear marsh/forest to force the game to choose the underlying tile earlier. I have had many 2nd/3rd ring tiles that will be good farms if they would just be acquired, and I've noticed that if I clear them the priority instantly changes.

1. Usually yes river hills are turned to farm due to civil service providing a double food instead of a single hammer. However, a city with very little production (grassland) could use the mine instead. A better balance will always be better than 1 food among a ton of it.
Fertilizer comes too late to make it impactful to change your farm into a mine. Could help for Spaceship production I guess.

2. There is no rule for this. You get a mine only if you don't have enough hammers. If you have enough working hills/horses, get a trade post instead.

3. Farm or GP improvements.

4. The algorithm goes by some priority lists, you can influence it by clearing terrain and buying some adjacent tiles.

Top Bottom