Chariot Archer doesn't obsolete: An attempt to fix the issue with ranged cavalry

Sarin, you know they aren't doing tank destroyers, right?
They're doing gun trucks and armored cars.

Sarin, you know they aren't doing tank destroyers, right?
They're doing gun trucks and armored cars.

Well, it's ranged cavalry actually, and modern TD actually fits the role better than gun truck for info age.

I suppose the tank destroyer would be all right for an information era 'ranged cavalry' unit, assuming there's not a better alternative. I'm going to keep looking, though, as I feel that it's somewhat too specialized compared to the rest of the units suggested. I'm not sure.

EDIT: I have found a HMMWV from Civ IV, so now at least I have both options.

It's not like wheeled TDs are doing just anti-tank duty. Vehicles like that perform recon and fire support roles too, they're kind of faster, cheaper, lighter tanks.

Maybe have a Motorbike with a Sidecar. Give it +1 range like a gatling and have good sight.

How much are motorbikes actually used by the military?

As combat vehicle, not anymore. They are still used in some courier and transportation functions I think.

As combat vehicle, the only ones I can think of were some ad-hoc armed Wehrmacht motorcycles, and early post-war, Vespa 150 TAP-a scooter modified to act as carrier for 75mm recoilless rifle for French paratroopers.

A while back some British SAS were in one of the middle eastern countries (i honestly can't remember, it was a while back) and they were driving around on quadbikes with sniper rifles and picking off ISIS. So they still use some motorbikes/quadbikes.

A while back some British SAS were in one of the middle eastern countries (i honestly can't remember, it was a while back) and they were driving around on quadbikes with sniper rifles and picking off ISIS. So they still use some motorbikes/quadbikes.

Yeah, that's the transportation function, pretty much very light mechanized infantry :D. Drive to a spot, get down and pick off some targets, then scoot off...

Now, if they, say, mounted machine gun on one of those and started doing drive-by on ISIS, then it would be true assault vehicle :D

Spoiler :

This was what i had in mind anyways.
have it move fast but with a weak combat strength, pop in and fire off a 1 tile ranged attack and then drive off again in the same turn.

Zündapp KS750 with MG34. That's what I mentioned above as Wehrmacht armed motorcycle. Those were used as scouts and couriers, the MG was for defense if someone tried to interfere with the mission.

Must have been fun, riding that:D

Would anyone mind doing some unit conversions? I can't get Blender to import .nif files, so I've been having some trouble.

Anyway, I've been considering the ugrade path, and I thought of an issue. What had been mentioned before was the chariot archer coming at the wheel, and the skirmisher coming at horseback riding. This would make sense, but it has the same issue as the longswordsman. It comes at a prerequisite tech for its replacement. As I see it, the options are:
A. Remove the Skirmisher. It's okay to have the chariot archer in use for two eras.
B. Keep the Skirmisher, but make the Chariot archer not obsolete until machinery.
C. Keep the Skirmisher, live with the annoyingly quick obsoletion.
Thoughts?

Anyway, if the Skirmisher is kept, it will have four movement points, a powerful one hex ranged attack, will ignore flanking bonuses, and may move after attacking. This reflects the use of Skirmishers to break the formations of the enemy.

The Skirmisher will, I think, upgrade to a mounted crossbowman. It'll have four moves, and the same statistics as the crossbowman, although it will have a one hex range. It'll come at machinery. The Keshik and Camel Archer will still come at Chivalry, however they will replace the mounted crossbowman. I haven't seen a model for this yet, however.

The mounted crossbowman will upgrade at Chemistry to the Dragoon. I'm not sure about the stats for the dragoon yet.

The Dragoon will last until the great war units star popping up. It will upgrade to the armoured car. Not sure what tech this should become available with. Some insight on the stats would also be useful.

The Armoured car will upgrade to the gun truck seen in the OP. Would like some ideas for stats on this one too.

The Gun truck will upgrade to the Humvee, I think. I understand the tank destroyer would work as well, however I feel the humvee is a better fit with the rest of the upgrade line.

I'd vote for the Chariot Archer not obsoleting until Machinery. Skirmisher does sound fine as a Medieval unit as much as the Chariot does seem fitting for Ancient and Classical.

Top Bottom