[MOD] Fall from Heaven

I'm fairly sure it works against both animals and barbs, but I may be conflating hill giants with barbs, because I was definitely getting it against them.

Can you give us any hints as to the story line? Or is that still a work in progress?

Also, have you seen the AI conjuring units? Or are these used by the player only at the moment?

IamSid said:
The game crashed on the 6th turn!

That is strange, I've actually never had a crash. I'll PM you my email address and see if I can get the save game and fiugure out what happend. Do you ever get crashes with Civ4 running without mods?

Great work, Kael. You da man.

I have one gripe, though (don't we all?), the civic system. I feel like I'm the Prime Minister of France and not the ruler of a magical civilization in a fantasy world. I mean, "State-funded education?" "Senior-funding?" "Confederacy?" Humanism alone is an Enlightenment ideology--why should Elves and dwarves know about John Stuart Mill? I'm not sure if you're intending to keep these civics in the end game, but you definitely shouldn't. It really detracts from the atmosphere of the fantasy world to have such modern and contemporary civics.

Instead, start the civic system from the ground up and replace it with fantasy-esque civics. For Government, you could have civics like "Oligarchy," "Divine Rule," and "Council of Mages." For Economy, go with "Barter System" and "Taxation." Mercentalism and Environmentalism are relatively modern concepts. Labor's pretty good as is, but some creativity is neccessary.

Just my suggestion. Keep up the good work.

ﻢﻜﻴﻠﻋ ﻢﻼﺴﻟﺍ

Aeon221 said:
I'm fairly sure it works against both animals and barbs, but I may be conflating hill giants with barbs, because I was definitely getting it against them.

Can you give us any hints as to the story line? Or is that still a work in progress?

Also, have you seen the AI conjuring units? Or are these used by the player only at the moment?

The Scouts, Hunters, Rangers, Druids and Beastmasters do currently get a bonus vs Skeletons and Hill Giants, as well as traditional animals. I could remove it but I liked the fact that the explore units were able to handle the "wandering monsters" better than traditional units.

The storyline is based on a Norse setting. It follows one character from relative unknown to a fully upgraded high level unit, with friends met along the way. Scenerios will be marked successful when goals are met, such as the killing of a specific monster, reaching a certain level, or discovery of a specific plot that reveals a treasure. Im hoping to use a system to write out and read in from a file to link the scenerios together. So your main character has the same promotions, unit class and xp at the start of the 2nd scenerio that he had at the end of the first one, etc. I also want to give him the option to follow the religion of his choice, with the corresponding changes in the scenerios.

Felzor said:
Great work, Kael. You da man.

I have one gripe, though (don't we all?), the civic system. I feel like I'm the Prime Minister of France and not the ruler of a magical civilization in a fantasy world. I mean, "State-funded education?" "Senior-funding?" "Confederacy?" Humanism alone is an Enlightenment ideology--why should Elves and dwarves know about John Stuart Mill? I'm not sure if you're intending to keep these civics in the end game, but you definitely shouldn't. It really detracts from the atmosphere of the fantasy world to have such modern and contemporary civics.

Instead, start the civic system from the ground up and replace it with fantasy-esque civics. For Government, you could have civics like "Oligarchy," "Divine Rule," and "Council of Mages." For Economy, go with "Barter System" and "Taxation." Mercentalism and Environmentalism are relatively modern concepts. Labor's pretty good as is, but some creativity is neccessary.

Just my suggestion. Keep up the good work.

There is function and there is flavor. You are exactly right on the Civic's, good function, but I need to fix the flavor. I will definitly work on it as I move ahead, thanks for the feedback.

Something to think about is the axeman, I think they come too early in the game, twice I started & researched them first -> then conquered all my neighbors.

mamimo said:
Something to think about is the axeman, I think they come too early in the game, twice I started & researched them first -> then conquered all my neighbors.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Kael said:
What difficulty are you playing on?
Played on Noble, with Terra Map, with both regular speed & epic speed (of course I didin't finish any of them ;) )

Incrediably good work its a very fun mod, and a huge spin on normal civ, the differences for religions i especially like, one thing to note, the ability to clear jungles comes VERY late game, bumping this up a little would allow for more fair games, though if used properly in a scen it could be a wonderful touch, i.e. the late game civ, that started out with all jungles all of the sudden becomes a world power... etc etc...

anyways to reiterate, wonderful mod(and nice gw steals :})

mamimo said:
Played on Noble, with Terra Map, with both regular speed & epic speed (of course I didin't finish any of them ;) )

Are you playing without barbarians? For me the first 3 phases of the game go through the following:

1. Exploration and battles with animals.
2. Defending from barbarians (punishing players who have spread out to quickly in phase 1).
3. Begining battles with other players.

In my experience although I can rush to Axemen, I can't afford to have enough leave my borders to launch a serious attack until the barbarians are under control. And by that point everyone usually has access to some Tier 2 units.

I may need to lower the Axeman's vs melee attack or boost warriors city defense. Let me know if your are playing with or without barbarians. And thanks again for the feedback.

I didn't think I would see a decent fanatasy scenario in a long time, since we can't mod new unit models yet. Sometimes, it's nice to be wrong :goodjob: Some notes:

I really liked the religion-specific units. Why don't you make many of the fourth tier units religion-specific too? I think it will add more character and allow merging of a bunch of late game technologies that basically are identical but provide different national units. Also, would it be possible to make the wonders religion-specific?

The building requirements for different units is an interesting idea, but it's a bit awkward for unit upgrades and I don't think the AI "gets it". The AI's cities were full of Warriors when I tested the mod.

I personally find the amount of available choices in research and buildings a bit staggering. A little less freedom of choice would make it easier to decide.

Right now you lose the ability to build religious missionaries (disciples) after awhile. Is that intentional in order to make the religious victory harder?

Hats off for Chicken Itza :lol:

How many neighbors is all your neighbors? If it was one or two... eh... but if it was five or six then maybe an adjustment needs to be made.

Getting bronze working, finding copper, building a barracks, and then churning out axemen takes a considerable amount of time. I'd hope it was a fluke that you found it too easy. I'm getting my arse kicked on Prince.... ;)

Makes you differentiate what cities are to make which units. Too time consuming to make all of the buildings. Nice balance so far.

Kael - I'm loving the extra promotions from barbs. Man you can make some awesome scouts!

Mumin said:
I didn't think I would see a decent fanatasy scenario in a long time, since we can't mod new unit models yet. Sometimes, it's nice to be wrong :goodjob: Some notes:

I really liked the religion-specific units. Why don't you make many of the fourth tier units religion-specific too? I think it will add more character and allow merging of a bunch of late game technologies that basically are identical but provide different national units. Also, would it be possible to make the wonders religion-specific?

The building requirements for different units is an interesting idea, but it's a bit awkward for unit upgrades and I don't think the AI "gets it". The AI's cities were full of Warriors when I tested the mod.

I personally find the amount of available choices in research and buildings a bit staggering. A little less freedom of choice would make it easier to decide.

Right now you lose the ability to build religious missionaries (disciples) after awhile. Is that intentional in order to make the religious victory harder?

Hats off for Chicken Itza :lol:

I thinkt he 4th tier religion units are a good idea, they will probably get added down the road.

I thought and thought about making some religion specific wonders. Each relgion has a "2nd tech" (a tech that requires the religion granting tech, but is never used for anything else). I put wonders on all of these 2nd techs. That way the religion discovering civ is more likely to get the wonder, but its not garunteed, you have to work for it. It seemed like a good compromise. I also didn't want to make it a game advantage to cycle through the religions, I wanted to make it just as practical to pick one and stick with it through the game.

I really had to mess with the AI to get it to begin using the buildings. I garuntee that it uses them (I have been beaten and beaten on prince difficulty) but I did have to do a lot of work to make it happen. It's possible that I still may need to improve on the weighting to make it run better.

I like having all the options as long as they all aren't nessesary. I love the thought of being able to play a game as the ashen veil with nothing but archers and mages and concentrating on those skills and abilities. Then playing another game where you do nothing but disciples and recon with the fellowship fo the leaves, etc etc. I know there is a ton to do and it is intentional that you can't build a super city that does it all, I like the choices it forces. I just need to work on making all those choices meaningful.

Good point about the disciples, I will have to think about that.

Stalin_Bulldog said:
Incrediably good work its a very fun mod, and a huge spin on normal civ, the differences for religions i especially like, one thing to note, the ability to clear jungles comes VERY late game, bumping this up a little would allow for more fair games, though if used properly in a scen it could be a wonderful touch, i.e. the late game civ, that started out with all jungles all of the sudden becomes a world power... etc etc...

anyways to reiterate, wonderful mod(and nice gw steals :})

Good advice, I moved it up from Iron Working to Survival.

Whats gw stand for?

Top Bottom