[SDK] Dale's Combat Mod!

I think I found the reason for the complete wins of artillery versus cities.

Withdrawal chance seems completely messed up.

I tried out the mod (never done before, as I only play TAM & FfH - sorry :mischief: ) just to test some simple cavalry versus cavalry or cavalry versus machine gun. I noticed that my cavalry never retreated from battle. To test out my hypothesis that withdrawal was broken, I edited the Cavalry to have a 100% withdrawal chance. Now the cavalry unit wins every battle, even against vastly superior units. I guess this also explains why artillery with their high withdrawal chance often can decimate entire city defenses.

Update:

The next version of the combat mod will let you build missiles. Yep, cruise missiles, tactical nukes, etc. The code is so generic that you could create any sort of missile (not tested yet, but I'm fairly certain it'll work). Spys with the missile flag could become suicide bombers. Fighters with the missile flag could become kamikazees. Create a Boeing 747 unit and give it the flag to become a terrorist bomber. The combos are endless. :)

M@ni@c:

Thanks, I'll look into whats causing it.

Dale said:
Update:

The next version of the combat mod will let you build missiles. Yep, cruise missiles, tactical nukes, etc. The code is so generic that you could create any sort of missile (not tested yet, but I'm fairly certain it'll work). Spys with the missile flag could become suicide bombers. Fighters with the missile flag could become kamikazees. Create a Boeing 747 unit and give it the flag to become a terrorist bomber. The combos are endless. :)

M@ni@c:

Thanks, I'll look into whats causing it.

interesting:goodjob:

By flags do you mean just adding DOMAIN_MISSILE to the unit? if so do we need to add it anywhere else in the .xml files? can't wait ........

do you want the missile file and .xml files to add to your game so you can test it? and see if its working

(missile unit files. civ4artdefineunit.xml, you will need to add unitinfos.xml and unitclassinfos.xml unless you want mine) the missile works it just doesn't die as i've said untill i add your mod that is ;) and were waiting on animations from smitty but the unit looks good anyway...

Nah, nothing like that. Combat is what engages the missile. The extra flag goes at the end of the unit:

<bDCMMissile>1</bDCMMissile>

So effectively, you could add the flag to a spearman. Also, if you set <iNukeRange>1</iNukeRange> in the unit xml it will be a nuke as well. So you could set these two in the spy, and suddenly your spy is planting nukes in enemy cities. Something some people have wanted. :)

Wait till I get the next beta out and add the required files. I've set up two new units but they are in no way balanced. I'm just using them for testing, and so folks can see how to create these units.

Dale

Dale said:
Nah, nothing like that. Combat is what engages the missile. The extra flag goes at the end of the unit:

<bDCMMissile>1</bDCMMissile>

So effectively, you could add the flag to a spearman. Also, if you set <iNukeRange>1</iNukeRange> in the unit xml it will be a nuke as well. So you could set these two in the spy, and suddenly your spy is planting nukes in enemy cities. Something some people have wanted. :)

Wait till I get the next beta out and add the required files. I've set up two new units but they are in no way balanced. I'm just using them for testing, and so folks can see how to create these units.

Dale

ok cool. I be hanging in here untill you post the beta hitting the refresh button every few seconds or I'll leave me lil man here

meet bob------>:wavey:

bob will let me know ;) :crazyeye: :lol:

sorry for the delay, yeah that was the latest patch, but i guess maniac may have figured it out... who knows. but yeah i hope you fix the wothdrawl thing... in my opinion this is an aspect of civ that is missing. no armies are completely destroyed down to the last man repeatedly. every once in a while, sure, but not every time. heres an idea i like, that may be for another mod..., but what if depending on your civics, when an enemy retreats he can be captured and be A:forced into military service. B: forced into slavery. or C: treated as a POW and can be traded in the diplo screen. so there would be a new civic catagory i guess, called compassion or something that maybe ive seen around the forum. anyway thats my rant, but point is, it would be cool if more units had a higher withdrawl rate

I think I've found that bug. It is related to withdrawing units. Basically, if a unit withdraws before the end of the battle it's caught in the middle and destroyed past maxDamage. That's why the ? comes up, cuz it's strength is less than 0. Anyways, will hopefully be fixed in the next beta.

Dale

BTW, I will be setting it up so that units on either side can withdraw from the battle (effectively the same as routed).

Can`t see animations during battles. Just zoom in and pause.. Sometimes even zoom out after battles not functional.

Serga said:
Can`t see animations during battles. Just zoom in and pause.. Sometimes even zoom out after battles not functional.

I had this same problem when zooming out after the battle was over.

Getting the same probelm Pedro and Serga describe while using the Regiment + Combat Mod.

Looking foward to the new nuke system (especially the targetting and auto response). Would be nice to have a threat addition in the diplomacy screen.
"If you don't give me that city we will nuke you" sort of threats.. Also threatening with conventional warfare would be nice.

I've completely disabled combat zoom for the mod. So regardless whether you turn it on or off in the options, the default of off will remain. This is to fix a graphics glitch.

The invincible catapult bug is fixed.

The withdraw bug is fixed.

The combat log is fixed to display correctly A vs B and B vs A.

Plus a number of other smaller things.

The next beta is going to be pretty much stack attack and missiles finished. :)

Dale

:goodjob:

Btw, little request. Woud it be possible to provide two downloads, one without regiments and one with? Asking because I noticed most of the mod's size is currently due to the regiments, and not your own mod.

I mean.. I'm not seeing any animations whatsoever in half of the battles. Some work, some don't.

Gotcha. Let me guess, when ranged or bombarding units are involved?

I have ranged bombardment working well. :)

Pic 1: Bombard tile improvements

Pic2: Or bombard cities

Pic3: Units in the open

Pic4: And cause collatoral damage

Dale

Can't forget naval:

Top Bottom