R.E.D. modpack

If you want to do some testing, please send me a private message, because it's very tedious and there's way too much!

Here are some new changes since the post above. Some of them I'm not sure about, so send me your thoughts:
  • Venice and Milan city state now re-use Roman units starting in the Medieval era; other city states re-use units of related major civs [e.g., Monaco uses French units. I'm not entirely sure I like it in practice.]
  • new general suffix types for Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, and city states with Slavic influence) and Central Asia (Huns, Ottomans, and city states with Turkic influence)
  • donkeys given to Ottoman, Hun, and Polynesian settlers instead of camels or oxen
  • add hangman's conversion of the Buddhist missionary for Asian civs [I could also/instead write some Lua to apply him to the civ who has chosen Buddhism.]
  • add Snafusmith's Renault FT (WWI tank) for Brazil, central European city states, and additional members for France
  • add Wolfdog's conversion of Zever's Royal Marine commando for England
  • fixed some specular textures to reduce excess "shininess" of some units
  • reduced texture sizes and removed extraneous specular textures (reduces mod size from 200MB to 120MB)

Ideas for new unit's grafic to Brazilian civ
I'm not a unit maker (except for the occasional reskin). Please post your request in the Unit Request Thread if you haven't already.

I have seen a V.28 of R.E.D.
nokmirt used the version on Gedemon's Github and added danrell's WWII jets to fill out that category. Those were the only changes.

there are several modern day submarines... modern day carriers... modern day ground infantry...
I grabbed the subs that are actually nuclear powered already. You've asked about the modern carriers on multiple occasions. They're applicable to R.E.D. Xtended, but not this modpack. Please stop asking about those. I'm not sure which modern day ground infantry you're referring to. Please provide me a link.

Renault FT... Type 212A... Royal Marines...
Gedemon was already using danrell's Renault FT, but I added it to Brazil and the two Belgian city states. The 212A isn't actually a nuclear submarine. I added the Royal Marines.

So, I did an install of the RED mods, fired up the game and started to play. Almost immediately I ran into out of memory issues for the graphics, even though I have a 4096 MB video chip. Shortly thereafter the game would crash.

Anyone else seeing this?

System: iMac 27', 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, OS X 10.9.5

So I got no takers for help testing my unofficial v.28 build. Seeing as I'm not going to have time for a while, feel free to take it for a spin. For want of a better place, post bug reports in the old Ethnic Diversity thread, rather than hijacking this thread.

So, I did an install of the RED mods, fired up the game and started to play. Almost immediately...
An install of "the RED mods"? Which ones? Did you try R.E.D. Modpack by itself first? Did you try the hotfix? Was this a new game (in which case a texture crash would be very odd) or was it a previous save?

Alright let me see if I can explain my issue. I have been working on a Napoleonic scenario for BNW. I'm having trouble adding more than one rifleman unit.

Here is the SQL. I want to be able to build the regular French rifleman, as well as an Imperial Guard unit. The city only produces the Imperial Guard type of unit and not the Regular infantry unit.(Both use musketman animations.)

This is SQL/France

Code:
SELECT	'FRANCE',		'FRANCE',			'civ5_fremm3.fxsxml',				'ART_DEF_UNIT_RIFLEMAN',			'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_RIFLEMAN',						19,				NULL,			0		UNION ALL
SELECT	'FRANCE',		'FRANCE_V2',		'civ5_fremm2.fxsxml',				'ART_DEF_UNIT_RIFLEMAN',			'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_RIFLEMAN',						19,				NULL,			0		UNION ALL
SELECT	'FRANCE',		'FRANCE',			'civ5_fremm3.fxsxml',				'ART_DEF_UNIT_RIFLEMAN',			'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_RIFLEMAN',						19,				NULL,			0		UNION ALL
SELECT	'FRANCE',		'FRANCE_V2',		'civ5_fremm2.fxsxml',				'ART_DEF_UNIT_RIFLEMAN',			'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_RIFLEMAN',						19,				NULL,			0		UNION ALL

There are two differnet versions of riflemen here but it will only build 'civ5_fremm3.fxsxml' for some reason. All my files for unit graphics are in R.E.D. Modpack/Units/France. VFS is set to true for all unit graphics.

civ5_fremm2.fxsxml
civ5_fremm2.gr2
fremm2.dds
fremm2_sref.dds (This is regular French infantry.)

civ5_fremm3.fxsxml
civ5_fremm3.gr2
fremm3.dds
fremm3_sref.dds (Imperial Guard)

Any reason why both units cannot be built? I would like to build a regular infantry for England and a highlander too.

An install of "the RED mods"? Which ones? Did you try R.E.D. Modpack by itself first? Did you try the hotfix? Was this a new game (in which case a texture crash would be very odd) or was it a previous save?

Sorry, was just lazy and trying to save typing. Should know better after working with software for 20+ years.

Installed both the R.E.D. Modpack (v 27) and r_e_d_extented_v_1 mods. Opened a current game (Germany 340t+) the first time and started getting warnings. After crash, started a new game (Shaka) and within a few turns had the same crash.

Repeated both again after deleting the cache files each time and had the same problem. Removed both mods and everything is happy again.

I understand now. I can have 3 versions of the same unit, but not different units.

frankT: Let me reiterate. Try R.E.D. Modpack by itself. If that doesn't work, try adding the hotfix. My unofficial v.28 reduces some of the texture sizes, but you could try adding gargoyle575's R.E.D. Reduced File Size, which goes much further.

nokmirt: Right; those are for mixed unit member formations (and that would have had 76 individual members in the formation). You have to create a new unitclass if you want a separately buildable unit, with all of the extra database entries that that entails.

@Nutty
Thx for the suggestions and encouragement but after spending a couple hours trying various combos of the R.E.D mods (I turned off all other mods and cleared the cache to ensure a clean start each time), no one combo seemed reliable enough to continue using. At some point each mod setup eventually caused an out of memory warning and soon thereafter a game crash, sometimes early (t12) sometimes later (t80+).

So. while I like the idea of the mod, it seems it don't like me. I went back to my regular set of mods and all is well again.

@FrankT - I had the same issue a while back, crashing due to apparent 'graphics overload'.

The only thing that fixed it was a massive hardware upgrade. I went from a dual-core AMD 5600+ with 4gb of ram, to an i5-3330 with 8gb ram (Same GTX 550-ti graphics card in both cases). Also was running Windows 8 in both cases.

Try turning your settings down (diplo screens especially - it was a major trigger for me) a bit and see if that helps at all.

Now, I am well aware that you having this problem with a system that already has higher specs than mine, I'm just sharing what worked for me.

~JD

For memory issues with R.E.D. installed, try deselecting the 'gpu texture decompress' box in graphic options. When it's on, that option will load all of the leader-head scenes into VRAM and decompress them on the fly for faster display. While not a bad idea, it doesn't take into account that you may be using texture mods.

I have a card with 4GB VRAM and I get graphical corruption (icons, terrain, leaders, etc) if I use R.E.D. units along with that option, after the game has been running a while (no crash, but unplayable). Deselecting it fixes the problem. My impression is that it's a memory issue internal to CiV... I see increased VRAM usage, but not to the limit.

Nutty, I haven't had time to try your v28 with optimized textures and such, but I'll report back when I do sa to whether it solves the issue.

Personally, I see no real benefit in using the GPU decompression. Leader screens load a fraction of a second faster, but it offers no improvement to performance where map or unit graphics are concerned.

Hi guys,

I'm using this mod with the Extreme version, but I want to know if it is possible to rescale the Giant Death Robot to it's original size.

If so, what values I need to change and where? I looked in the uniformations.xml file, changed values in the assaultmech session but it changed only the spacing of the formation, not the size of the unit.

Thanks for any information.

Unpacking the .civ5mod file with Zipeg (a necessary step for Mac users) is taking literally forever. Is this normal?

My game crashes everytime I use R.E.D modpack in the game loading screen..I tried hotfix,clearing chace,re-installaing the game..but result is same..
my game version is 1.0.3.144
R.E.D modpack version 0.27
only mod I am using in enchanched user interface version 1.23..please help

i was playing as china last time and no ethnic units :(

just green stripes, which don't even represent china (blame firaxis for that)

i was playing as china last time and no ethnic units :(

just green stripes, which don't even represent china (blame firaxis for that)

Not sure if R.E.D. Extreme is still being developed, but I noticed a formation bug with the Japanese Infantry in that the formation only has two figures. This bug is easy to replicate and so far is only limited to Japan. AI and human players are both universally affected.

I've tried to fix this myself by looking for entries in the mod file for references to Japanese infantry, but my hands have come up empty. As I only like to play Japan, this has plagued me to the point that I actively skip Infantry and just stick with Paratroopers.

If you can find a way to fix this I would be most grateful.

Hi, first of all i want to thank you on your dedication and great work on this awesome mod, i really like it :D now, i wanted to ask, can you explain me is it possible,and how it is done, to return some units to vanilla models?(Germany modern armor and panzer tank i like old ones more xD)

Edit, e.g., SQL\4-Germany.sql and put 2 hyphens ( -- ) in front of any you want to return to the default. In some cases, you will need to do the same in e.g., SQL\1-_Euro.sql which provide shared defaults for larger ethnic groupings where one hasn't been specifically assigned to that civ. This doesn't apply in the cases you mention, however.

Yeah hi, umm...

So I only recently discovered this particular gem and I enjoy it quite a bit. So much, in fact, that I'd love to implement it on my server for my friends to enjoy it too, when we play together. I scoured the files of this mod as well as this thread, but I can't find a way to do it... How should I proceed about this?

Top Bottom