Caveman2Cosmos

15 minutes to load RoM or AND? Do you have earlier versions of those mods in your c:...Program Files\....BtS\Mods folder? And your Not trying to play the mod out of the My Documents path are you?

1) I don't play Civ4 from "program files" (or any game for that matter as I think that was the most stupid thing MS ever did was to make that folder the default folder for any program) or even the C: drive (I have all my games on the G: drive).

2) I have both ROM 2.91 (but it has a lot of "add-on" crap that probably is what is slowing it down) and AND 1.75 in my mods folder. ROM takes forever to load, but AND (and C2C) load fairly quickly. If I ever keep various versions of mods I always rename them (and the ini files).

3) of course not regarding the "documents" question;)

@SO:
I never leave my PC on if not in use as it is a laptop and I don't like to take the risk of it getting too hot.

When I load up the mod I get

XML error Tag: UNITCOMBAT__HEALTH_CARE in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: xml\Units/CIV4PromotionInfos.xml

amongst others

XML error Tag: UNITCOMBAT__HEALTH_CARE in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: xml\Units/CIV4PromotionInfos.xml

amongst others

You did download both parts, correct? And you did put part 2 in the Assets folder (of the mod assets, not the BTS assets) after unzipping part 1, correct? There is a link floating around here for everything in one part.

amongst others

I thought I had fixed that error. There is a double underscore in the name when there should only be one.

You did download both parts, correct? And you did put part 2 in the Assets folder (of the mod assets, not the BTS assets) after unzipping part 1, correct? There is a link floating around here for everything in one part.

Ah yea, I didn't know it needed to be put into assets, thank you.

At first I thought game was not responding, windows task manager confirmed it was not responding, however, the game takes long to spread into memory and while at that it really doesn't respond, which doesn't mean it is not working. It just takes some time to load the humongous quantity of information.

This helped me to get a new machine :D sooner than I planned, and I will make a 3gb fix for XP and finally play on a huge map without exiting the game before middle ages...

Great mod which actually allows us to play two different games at the same time, prehistoric and historic epic!

At first I thought game was not responding, windows task manager confirmed it was not responding, however, the game takes long to spread into memory and while at that it really doesn't respond, which doesn't mean it is not working. It just takes some time to load the humongous quantity of information.

Some mods are simply coded better than others (and of course some are smaller than others so naturally load faster---some as fast as a few seconds). I'd say this one is slightly above average, and it takes about 3-5 minutes to load for me.

Some mods are simply coded better than others (and of course some are smaller than others so naturally load faster---some as fast as a few seconds). I'd say this one is slightly above average, and it takes about 3-5 minutes to load for me.

That should be only the FIRST time it loads, (as long as you keep you PC on), it should only take less than 20 seconds loading after that.

That should be only the FIRST time it loads, (as long as you keep you PC on), it should only take less than 20 seconds loading after that.

Just timed it: 2m50s (plus 1 minute for the 1.4MB save to load), but I have the cache cleared on each time a mod loads, and I also had IE running.

Just timed it: 2m50s (plus 1 minute for the 1.4MB save to load), but I have the cache cleared on each time a mod loads, and I also had IE running.

Are you using a Laptop by any chance?:mischief:

Yes. To tell the truth, 3 minutes is fine as far as I'm concerned, as most large mods take 2-3minutes for me (the <10 second ones are very small mods), and a few take even longer.

Yes. To tell the truth, 3 minutes is fine as far as I'm concerned, as most large mods take 2-3minutes for me (the <10 second ones are very small mods), and a few take even longer.

HUH, i knew it, Laptops are not made for EXTREME gaming like this mod is.
You will even have a hard time with a gaming laptop designed for gaming.:D

Were their mention accidently carried over from ROM or were the units themselves forgotten in C2C 2.3? The Civopedia says its in there and enabled under diplomatic missions but they are not in units. I'm a bit confused.

That said thank you for this mod. I've just returned to Civ IV after holding out hope that someone would fix Civ V and I've had a hard time adjusting to how hard it is to install mods. I had constant problems with RoM, AAranda's and Dancing Holskund mods but this puts them all together massively simplifying things.:D

HUH, i knew it, Laptops are not made for EXTREME gaming like this mod is.
You will even have a hard time with a gaming laptop designed for gaming.:D

I do OK, as I do some tweaking, and what I can't tweak I resign myself to lower expectations... ;)
At least I'm not stuck with a 32-bit OS and less than 4G RAM.

C2C crew, thanks for the great work. The years of work are easy to see, and the attention to detail is mindblowing! :thanx:

Just be sure your computer is up to the task, for my pc the game takes roughly 2&1/2 minutes from initiating game start-up, to game play...so if you have an venerable PC, let it set up, go get your drinks, popcorn or whatever. Then come back and enjoy the ride through history. :yeah:

Also I just started using the SVN feature..nice. So far works great no problems!

Were their mention accidently carried over from ROM or were the units themselves forgotten in C2C 2.3? The Civopedia says its in there and enabled under diplomatic missions but they are not in units. I'm a bit confused.

That said thank you for this mod. I've just returned to Civ IV after holding out hope that someone would fix Civ V and I've had a hard time adjusting to how hard it is to install mods. I had constant problems with RoM, AAranda's and Dancing Holskund mods but this puts them all together massively simplifying things.:D

The UN units and buildings are there but disabled. Mostly because they do not work like UN troops work. In game they are just a way to get your units in place before you start a war.

Hi,

quick question:
there's a bug in Rise of Mankind: A new Dawn, which is describedhere.

I believe it came around some time after some things from C2C got merged in. Which is a while ago, too. But can anyone remember seeing this bug in C2C ? Because if, it might be helpful to find out more about it, as I currently cannot really reproduce it for myself but several people said they experienced it.

Thanks, f.

For those who browse by this in the modpack forum and who don't realize it yet:

Cavemen to Cosmos is the biggest and most comprehensive community mod for Civ IV. It is built on top of massive mods:
ROM 2- Rise of Mankind, and AND / RAND -Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn, and it also incorporates REVDCM (the ongoing revolutions modpack for those who want it) and BUG.
Hundreds of thousands of posts for C2C alone.

With twice as many graphics (1.2 gb graphic file alone is 2x size all the other mods on civfanatics combined!). It has new terrains, new features as big as any Civ Expansion, and an incredible amount of good ideas. Not only has it a bunch of new technologies, new eras, and new units also, but it also sports more new concepts than Civ V by at least 4 times. They pioneered increasing the resource limit, rewrote the AI, and turn speed, they are even working with another mod to invent multi-maps to represent planets and a galactic map, so they can incorporate the final frontier mod, and build a complete Galactic Era. They have more alternate earth and optional alternate eras such as prehistoric, clockpunk, post-apocalyptic, and galactic (to name a few) , and more science fiction ideas than most any other mod, and are looking for great balance and realism. In Every major version (now v23) they take time to squash bugs and try to balance things out. Heck they added a living world full of animals of many types, and a new events system tying flammability and electricity to buildings. Many features are customizable and optional. And it is as good as it is big. The care shines more than the amount.

You really should try it out. And if you love another mod also, C2C makes for a great community exploring the best of what's out there. It is awesome to play and getting even better. Don't take my word for it, browse the project forum and convince yourself. And the play is becoming as good as it's promise. Trust me that it will deliver; it already is.

What really make's it special is it's mod team and willingness to consider ideas and helping people participate. What is really exciting and tops the cake is the future of this mod, It's potential is staggering, and it already has accomplished so much.

Anyone who loves CIV should seriously try C2C, and hang around the project forum often enough or I promise, you will be missing out. Just look for yourself how many people say they could kick themselves for missing it.
Check out the rapid progress by following the development threads and try it out yourself-

The development forum for Cavemen2Cosmos:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=449
You won't regret it!

After seeing ROM: AND come to an apparent end, I decided to give C2C a shot -- downloading now. I'm hoping the player can pick/choose which features they want to enable for their particular game.

In any case, it looks like a lot of work was put into this. Looking forward to trying it out.

After seeing ROM: AND come to an apparent end, I decided to give C2C a shot -- downloading now. I'm hoping the player can pick/choose which features they want to enable for their particular game.

In any case, it looks like a lot of work was put into this. Looking forward to trying it out.

Some tings are easier to include/exclude than others. Many are done via the Custom Game option when you start a game. Others are done via the BUG options menu. Some require a bit of simple XML editing, usually just changing a value in an XML file.

I have tried to provide documentation on these in Player How To Documentation but it is very much a work in progress. Feedback on this doco welcome.

Top Bottom