Revolutions

good to know it wasn't CSD but had problems with either lighttouch or/and infoaddict. Sorry for the delay response as i had no connection to the internet for a couple of days...

Originally Posted by orlanth View Post
Very nice mod Gedemon.
Could you use this to eliminate the Occupied and Puppet system entirely? I've always found it unrealistic that a city captured in 1000BC will eternally have either Occupied or Puppet status when in reality it could be gradually assimilated to your empire over years. Using your mods this shouldn't be necessary - conquered cities would start with a lot of unrest due to having 100% foreign Culture that you're at war with, so you'd have to leave a garrison there, but over many year's they'd become gradually assimilated to your Culture and be a regular city, with the details of this modified by the Policies you've set.
I'm not sure that I want to entirely remove the occupied/puppet system but merging it more with the Revolution mod is a good idea.

Following your proposition, I can make conquered cities to keep a majority of the previous culture groups, just giving the tiles around a majority to the conqueror culture group (to prevent tiles flipping too fast if the option is activated) and if the player wait long enough for his CG to gain majority in the city, it could be annexed and could become non-occupied without a courthouse.

Now, how do we balance that ?

At this moment puppet have a stability bonus and occupied cities have a penalty that could be removed with the courthouse. In which case would someone want to annex the city immediately ?

maybe I can give the owner culture a penalty in the city as long as it is puppeted (like a smaller conversion rate) ?

Yes, that sounds good. Puppet cities can have a stability bonus but smaller culture conversion rate. Annexed cities could need no special penalty; but be initially unstable due to the majority foreign cultures which can gradually be absorbed.

How about letting the Courthouse give a bonus to local Stability, and make you generate no Separatist culture in that city; making it potentially useful for your own cities as well as Annexed ones. :king:

For the tile flipping, ideally I'd like to have it available as a diplomatic modifier and trade option (block with another civ, buy from when your CG is high enough, acquire with peace treaty, etc...)
That sounds cool. I currently like to play with tile flipping off, but I'd be interested if it could involve diplomacy like this. In the vanilla Civ5 system for buying plots, it seems like plot cost goes down gradually as local culture is produced, maybe cultural diffusion could be integrated with this.

It would be really cool if culture group relations were also integrated with diplomatic relations, ie:
let diplomatic relations with a civ affect internal relations with that civ's culturegroup, and vice versa
let Influence with a citystate affect internal relations with that culturegroup, and vice versa

Let me know what you think of this idea..

In the Inner Relations panel, for each culturegroup you can select their treatment within your empire:
Favor: +5 relation
Tolerate: no modifiers
Repress: -5 relation, group generates no culture
Persecute: -10 relation, increased conversion rate

You can only Favor 1 or 2 culturegroups (perhaps more after enacting Policies in the Patronage tree.) If you Repress or Persecute a group this will help get their culture out of your cities, but it will decrease relations which may cause stability problems in the short term (and the decreased relations may cause diplomatic problems with other civs/citystates.) :king::cool:

Here are 2 other small features that could be nice to add:

Razing a city will subtract from your relations will all culture groups contained in that city. (perhaps something like -10 * citypopulation * culturegroup_percent)

If a civ or citystate has been destroyed (ie owns no cities), its culture group will not produce culture anymore and may gradually die out. (unless a successful revolution brings it back in control of a city before its culture is absorbed!) :king:

This is a terrific addition to the CiV experience! I love how I have had to adjust my strategy.

I understand with all the extra calculations the game has to go through, the waiting time between turns is a lot longer than playing CiV without the mod, but I am curious, how bad/long does it get when you get into the modern era on a huge map? I am currently playing in the medieval era on a huge map with just under a dozen cities. Playing with a wide empire as opposed to a tall empire to really test the limits with separatists and rebellions.

Just want to say a couple things. Firstly, loving the mod, so a big thank you for making it! Secondly, the custom advanced set up screen doesn't allow you to 'load a mod'. This means that while I can load mods, I can't load scenarios or maps with things like pre-defined starting locations. Just the bare map itself.

I desperately want to play this mod on a world map but, don't want to be playing say Montezuma with the Aztecs based at the Baltic or in Central Asia for instance.

Is there any way around this?

Here's a C/P from my answer on steam workshop:
The mod need to have some CS reserved before launching the game. This can only be done in a custom screen. YnAEMP handle this if you want an earth map, as the Custom Advanced Setup Screen.

To use this with a scenario, you must make a custom setup for that scenario (see whoward69 tutorial about that here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20474 ) and make it reserve 10 more CS that what's needed in the scenario.

To change the number of minor civs to load in the custom setup add "PreGame.SetNumMinorCivs(x)" where x should be the number of CS in your scenario + 10.

the line should be added in the OnStartClicked() function in the Lua file.

So you can use it with Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack, or a custom made scenario.

Custom Advanced Setup Screen still need to be activated, but you'll use the YnAEMP setup screen or any other custom scenario screen you've set using Whoward69's tutorial.

Whoa, thanks for the quick reply Gedemon! Will try out the maps pack you linked, cheers!

I was waiting for something like this to come out, i played the revolutions mod in civ 4 to death and allready having fun with this one, keep up the good workd.

Currently playing it on a perfect world huge map and loving it. Had a few crashes, but nothing that autosave cant fix. No crash logs or anything that i know of tho.

Hello. I keep getting this error:

[90536.209] RevolutionMain: WARNING : No entry in culture relation table for CIVILIZATION_POLYNESIA

I was playing as Polynesia.

I noticed that if I moused over a tile which was owned, it would not show culture diffusion levels on there. I should also note that I'm playing a bastardized version where I combined Revolution and Cultural Diffusion in one mod, so this one may be a little hard to debug.

This is a common one too, if it helps:
Spoiler :

stack traceback:
[string "C:\Users\angelinos\Documents\My Games\Sid M..."]:934: in function 'GetRelationValueString'
[string "C:\Users\angelinos\Documents\My Games\Sid M..."]:57: in function 'GetCulturePlotHelpString'
[string "C:\Users\angelinos\Documents\My Games\Sid M..."]:80: in function 'UpdatePlotHelptext'
[string "C:\Users\angelinos\Documents\My Games\Sid M..."]:119: in function <[string "C:\Users\angelinos\Documents\My Games\Sid M..."]:108>

Also, how can I make CultureMain and RevolutionMain debug messages in lua.log less verbose? Currently, it makes my log massive.

One idea for this mod, perhaps creating a unit that acts like the inquisitor but for culture? I don't want to use the word Gestapo (dang I just did) but perhaps say Police or Secret Police? What do y'all think?

Hey there, I'm an old Civ III/IV player, I used to use the Revolution mod pack for Civ IV.
I was overjoyed when I found out that Revolutions was coming to Civ V and G&K, needless to say I'm very happy to see this name again.

Now on to the questions:

First: I have not yet played with the new mod, but I have installed it; I just wanted to ask some questions before I dive in.

Second: The old mod's theme was one of "Watch old Empires fall and new ones rise to take their place" is the new mod geared toward this same goal? or has the new game system (ie hex movement, single unit no stack, etc...) affected this in a, well, bad way.
As in limiting what you can do and how you can do it? I remember creating Huge maps, dropping one settler from a random civ and then activating auto play, then sitting back and watching the outcome, on one occasion after several hundred turns that civ had turned into 20 different civs and the original had long since ceased to exist, at that point, using another mod I chose take control of one of those civs and start my game from there, eventually that civ also fell apart and I then took control of the new rebel civ. twas a fun game.

Three: How often do you get a chance to update it and what do you want to add to it in the long run, what features I wish for are of little concern, I'm just interested in where you want to take it in the long run, as far as I know the amount of modding power civ V gives you is enormous, I'd have no idea where to even start with a mod.

Four: What is the general process of kick starting a rebellion, as I've stated before, one of my favorite things to do with Civ IV Revolutions was start out small (yes it was slow at first) and then watch it develop into something much more interesting, and also can I expect the same level of development from the new mod? I've had a hankering for a good game of earth history 'Civ Revolutions style' for a while now.

As all ways keep up the good work, I've already started following you on steam workshop and will keep an eye out for updates.
I was planing on opening up this can'o worms tonight by starting a new game with this mod, I guess I'll see how it goes.

NINJA EDIT: Also one more thing, I've notice that in order to use the mod I have to use the advanced setup screen mod, this prevents, at least I think anyways, from using custom maps, or at least maps that have fixed starting locations, is it possible to set the custom map (with fixed starting locations) to require the mods in question, so that using advanced setup screen is not required? If not no big problem, this is just a case of me wanting to have my cake and eat it to.

SECOND NINJA EDIT: What ever happened to 'World of Civilizations' or WoC? Last I checked that was moving along breezily.

Does any of you guys experience heavy lag while playing this mod? It takes way longer for AI to finish their turns around 160 turn than it would take them around 500 turn with the very same settings and mods (aside from this modpack) Is this ...normal?

Not to mention QTDs, which would be little problem otherwise.

large map, 14 civs + ~12 CS
latest patch;
List of mods as follows
Reseed! .6
YNAEMP .17
Eras - classical age (.17)
IGE .32
TreeGrowth G-K .7
UI Enchanced Demographics .2
Cultural Diffusion .13
Custom Advanced Setup Screen .5
Revolutions .5

Does any of you guys experience heavy lag while playing this mod?

Yep. It has gotten to almost a half hour on turn 750, just got rifling. I will play my turn then go make dinner. I am only running this modpack on a a huge map with 8 other civs and a ton of city states. I think there are just too many calculations CiV has to run through. I absolutely love playing this modpack but with this crazy wait time, this may be my only game.

I did notice one peculiar thing, rebel Kuala Lumpur took over Sidney as the city state. That was interesting. So I liberated Sidney from Kuala Lumpur's stranglehold to get a quick ally, and two turns later the Sidney city state flipped back to Kuala Lumpur control. Perhaps this is my Vietnam now.

On another front, Germany lost Munich to Venetian Rebels, who are now razing Munich to the ground. Is there any way that we can get the rebels to not raze the city the just "liberated"?

Same issue here, I'm playing a 12 civ game, one has already been destroyed, I'm at about turn 250 or so and the turn times are easily 15 minutes average, which is weird because the Rev mod for civ 4 had more options and frankly was more in depth than this one and it's turns never went over 10 minutes tops you'd think the newer coding would be able to handle this kind of modding easier than a previous game, but for some reason something is causing it to slow down in every way, including moving units.

When I click on a unit to move it, there is a lag spike when I tell it where to go, lasts about 15-20 seconds, have no idea what would cause that, and it makes simply moving units tedious and annoying.

When I click on a unit to move it, there is a lag spike when I tell it where to go, lasts about 15-20 seconds, have no idea what would cause that, and it makes simply moving units tedious and annoying.

I looked to see what was causing that, and it is because every time the unit moves, the happiness and probability of strikes/rebellions changes and has to be recalculated based on the distance the military unit is from the city. I noticed this when I was not getting the same lag when moving workers and settlers. Yes, I like to micromanage my workers.

I am no programmer, but if there is any way to make the SQL and calculations more efficient, that would be tremendous.

I'll have a look at this ASAP, don't know why this wasn't noted before.

I'll go the DLL way if I can't optimize the Lua code enough, as the culture diffusion is taking some times too in late game (but not as much as what is reported here, maybe 1-2 minutes / turn)

I looked to see what was causing that, and it is because every time the unit moves, the happiness and probability of strikes/rebellions changes and has to be recalculated based on the distance the military unit is from the city. I noticed this when I was not getting the same lag when moving workers and settlers. Yes, I like to micromanage my workers.

I am no programmer, but if there is any way to make the SQL and calculations more efficient, that would be tremendous.

Ah so that's what the martial law modifier is; I was looking at the stability tab and one of my cities was listed as under martial law.

Also I like micro managing my workers to, in fact this is the first civ game that I've never once even thought about placing them on auto.

Whenever one of the reserved CSs declares war on a civ (i.e. rebels are spawing), I get a notification saying " has declared war on...". I guess that is some kind of concatenation error? Would it be possible to make it so that it actually displays the name of the CS declaring war.

So domination victories with this mod are out of the question unless you have the financial backing for an army that would make the size of the Chinese Army seem like a camp fire gathering. Small empire victories are the most plausible.

By the way, I am giving up. It takes over an hour per turn and my rivals and I have yet to sniff the modern era.

This is a great mod minus the waiting times. Player beware!

Top Bottom