Reseed!

I meant reseed is still working as intended (By itself, and with a few other mods it works as intended), but loading during an active game does not work when CivUp is active, that includes the loading ".PlayerChoseToLoadGame()" you are calling to in reseed. Which ultimately means, if I want loading to work ingame I have to deactivate CivUp. Since ".PlayerChoseToLoadGame()" seems to queue up an event there is still time for civ to call the "HideShow..." which prints "close" in the log. The crash happens immediately when loading should start, before the Civ-loadingscreen.

What I tried to say in a previous post is that loading ingame crashes the game with CivUp active even if reseed is not even installed, or any other mod for that matter, except standard DLCs.

CivUp has loading disabled because it doesnt work as intended, but activating it was just changing a parameter in the modinfo xml. That is how I tested it. CivUp is a very extensive mod, lots of things happen when states change and events triggers, most of them seem copy-pasted without changes from the original lua-files, but I think it lacks restoring globals (especially during Hide (its probably to hard to track)). <-- Wow a double paranthesis... :p

I did a quick search and didnt find any API-manual for the lua-hooks, so my conclusions are just from the code itself and the namingconventions used in the files. Which obviously means I can be totally off in my assumptions. =)

Doh! Of course, since your version of civ5 only crashes with CivUp, whether Reseed or not is installed, my question made no sense. Sorry about that. ;)

Now, regarding the events exposed by civ5, there are three categories: Events (regular events), Game events (registration of overrides, accumulators and predicates) and LuaEvents (no doc: custom events defined and registered in LUA, mostly to allow mods to define their own events). Note that the whole API documentation is found here (and it's lacking: most of the time the game UI source code is only true information source). A pre-save event would be defined in Events but as you can see there is no such thing. Besides saving some mods data takes a few hundreds of milliseconds and freezes the game so it cannot be done after every user action. And there is also the serialization problem: since you can only save strings, serializing object graphs requires a nice chunk of additional work. Simple but heavy coding.

Thanks for the links!

My thought was more of modding the mod-menu, the menu where you can choose "Singleplayer->Setup Game/Load Game", somehow save the state of all globals in another global, that can later overwrite the same globals again before PlayerChoseToLoadGame in reseed. If the game somehow resets itself just before regular saves from the menu it is not possible, and if there are hardcoded hooks that only exist when not in an active game and vice versa you can never restore those either.

I like to speculate.. :p

Oh! Yes, that would be possible, a mod could indeed do that. I guess the quicksave hotkey is also hooked from LUA (many hotkeys are, maybe all of them) and so also moddable. Of course such a change could conflict with some mods but even that could be fixed through a common component that all mods would use, as long as it gains enough popularity to becomes a standard as Modular DiploCorner used to be before G&K.

Now I do not think that most concerned modders are willing to spend the time to fix that problem but this is another story. ;)

hi,

i am trying to play as the Celts, and i only load this mod, and city limits mod. when the game first starts, i see where the settler is, don't like it, and so hit "new map" and i "autolose" the game, and have to exit to main menu.

standard map size, continents plus, what else do you need to know?

edit: happens without city limits mod too.

Hi there! I get the game over crash whenever I try to reseed a map I started in a later era. My classical start games don't seem to want to reseed, and I was wondering if anything could be done about this?

The auto-lose bug is supposed to only happens if you ever founded the city. I had a safety check in place in the latest version of reseed to prevent you to do that but I may have accidentally removed it in the latest beta (I disabled it for some tests and may have forgotten to re-renable it). This is not something I can prevent, unless some of the game options are changed (enable complete kills - civs are not destroyed unless all their units are - and disable domination victory - all enemies capitals destroyed). So I will make Reseed offer you that option instead of the safety check.

Now could you both confirm you founded a city when that happened please? And which version did you use? The beta2 or the latest v4.5 (if you installed it from Steam, this is that one)?

The auto-lose bug is supposed to only happens if you ever founded the city. I had a safety check in place in the latest version of reseed to prevent you to do that but I may have accidentally removed it in the latest beta (I disabled it for some tests and may have forgotten to re-renable it). This is not something I can prevent, unless some of the game options are changed (enable complete kills - civs are not destroyed unless all their units are - and disable domination victory - all enemies capitals destroyed). So I will make Reseed offer you that option instead of the safety check.

Now could you both confirm you founded a city when that happened please? And which version did you use? The beta2 or the latest v4.5 (if you installed it from Steam, this is that one)?

for my part, i only have tried this mod by doing "new map" at the very beginning of the game, BEFORE i found my first city. my settler is standing there, waiting for orders, and i don't like the map, so i try new map. after a wait, it auto-loses. the error msg is there for a moment but too quickly gets covered up for me to see it.

so i had NOT founded a city.

also, in mods, it just says ver 4, not 4.5 how do i get 4.5? i thought mods updated automatically? i do them thru steam.

for my part, i only have tried this mod by doing "new map" at the very beginning of the game, BEFORE i found my first city. my settler is standing there, waiting for orders, and i don't like the map, so i try new map. after a wait, it auto-loses. the error msg is there for a moment but too quickly gets covered up for me to see it.
Ah! So there was an error popup? Great, then it's because of that. Could you try to make a lua log please (see post #2), so that I can know what error it was. Either with 4.5 or the 5 beta.
EDIT: I just tested your mod with both Reseed 4.5 and 5 beta and I didn't had any trouble so I definitely need the lua log.

also, in mods, it just says ver 4, not 4.5 how do i get 4.5? i thought mods updated automatically? i do them thru steam.
It's written 4 because I cannot set non-integer versions. But if Steam does not offer any update then you're already on 4.5.

Ah! So there was an error popup? Great, then it's because of that. Could you try to make a lua log please (see post #2), so that I can know what error it was. Either with 4.5 or the 5 beta.
EDIT: I just tested your mod with both Reseed 4.5 and 5 beta and I didn't had any trouble so I definitely need the lua log.

ok, here it is attached.

EDIT: i get the crash with or without the city limits mod.

Attachments

• Lua.txt
    99.7 KB · Views: 94
Thank you for the log. Unfortunately it appears to be a problem with the Continent Plus map. But this is a DLC and my religion (the Anti-Scam Church) prohibits me to buy them, could you list me the names of the global functions defined in the main lua file please and the files it includes, or maybe attach the LUA code somewhere (not totally legal but for a good cause)?

Thank you for the log. Unfortunately it appears to be a problem with the Continent Plus map. But this is a DLC and my religion (the Anti-Scam Church) prohibits me to buy them, could you list me the names of the global functions defined in the main lua file please and the files it includes, or maybe attach the LUA code somewhere (not totally legal but for a good cause)?

i'll do whatever you ask but i have no idea how to do what you are asking.

if you explain what you want, i'll do it. (i am not versed in these things)

EDIT: i think my maps came on my DVD, the "game of the year" edition which includes at lot of what was DLC. however, other than GOTY i have gotten Korea, the wonders, and G&K via DLC/steam.

Ok, so I will try to explain. :)

The DLC directory should be in c:\programs files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Sid Meiers's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\DLC_SP_Maps.

Now I do not know what this DLC contains. I know for sure there is a "maps" subdirectory that contains a ContinentsPlus.lua, and I need this file for sure. I guess the other lua files are for other maps so I do not need them but I would like you to give a look and see whether there is a LUA file that does not seem to match any of your maps: it could be a file used by all maps that contains tools for them, and in such a case I may need it too.

this was everything in the dir:

..\assets\DLC\DLC_SP_Maps\Maps

do you need anything from other dirs?

Attachments

• Maps.zip
    59.7 KB · Views: 214
Thank you Sinatra. :)

So, looking at the map script, it has nothing special. I will make a quick mod later to test it but I am pretty sure that, once bundled in a mod, it will run fine. So I am worried it could be a path problem arising from the fact that it's in a mod but not "included into VFS" and because of a limit civ5 put on mods, in which case it may not be possible to fix for the maps from this DLC and some mods. I will investigate that later and will probably provide you a modified version to test tomorrow. it if was really not possible, at least I would add a proper error message.

Meanwhile, in the DLC directory, you will find a .civ5mod file. If you open it in a text editor (make a backup first), you will find lines as the example one below (taken from PerfectWorld) with different name and md5. Change the "import" value from 0 to 1, save and start civ5, it should work.
Code:
  <Files>
    <File md5="B9D87877F9EC2E8B191BBAA296FF1456" import="0">PerfectWorld3.lua</File>
  </Files>

Thank you Sinatra. :)

So, looking at the map script, it has nothing special. I will make a quick mod later to test it but I am pretty sure that, once bundled in a mod, it will run fine. So I am worried it could be a path problem arising from the fact that it's in a mod but not "included into VFS" and because of a limit civ5 put on mods, in which case it may not be possible to fix for the maps from this DLC and some mods. I will investigate that later and will probably provide you a modified version to test tomorrow. it if was really not possible, at least I would add a proper error message.

Meanwhile, in the DLC directory, you will find a .civ5mod file. If you open it in a text editor (make a backup first), you will find lines as the example one below (taken from PerfectWorld) with different name and md5. Change the "import" value from 0 to 1, save and start civ5, it should work.
Code:
  <Files>
    <File md5="B9D87877F9EC2E8B191BBAA296FF1456" import="0">PerfectWorld3.lua</File>
  </Files>

hmm, i went here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\

and did a search for *.civ5mod and got zero results.

i looked manually as well and did not see it.

thoughts?

hmm, i went here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\

and did a search for *.civ5mod and got zero results.

i looked manually as well and did not see it.

thoughts?
Well it's my mistake. While DLC are technically mods, I just discovered that for whatever reason Firaxis did choose to use a custom format for them. So it's not a .civ5mod, it's a .civ5pkg and you cannot insert files into vfs with it. So just forget what I said about you editing it and please watch for a new beta here in 12h-48h.

ok, but it sounds like it might not be fixable based on your previous post?

i don't know how to do betas, but i suppose i could give it a shot.

so is it all the maps in the zip that won't work? or others as well?

Indeed, it may not be fixable. If that is so, all maps from the zip/dlc would not work, and maybe the maps from some mods too (none that I know of, though: the perfect world mod works fine for example).

Beta versions are just future versions of a software that are still under development and/or testing. Whenever I release a beta version I write a new post in this thread and attach a zip as you did. All you will need to do is to uncompress it in a certain folder (everything is explained in the "installation and usage" section on the first page of this thread - not on the Steam Workshop page).

So here is the beta3 that may fix the problem with the DLC. I actually think it will work. There are three things to test:
* Can you generate a new map with the "Continent Plus" script?
* Can you generate a new map with the "Donut" script?
* Does the donut map indeed looks like a donut (use the "glance at map" button)?

To install it:
* Close civ5
* Go to "My Documents/My games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Mods"
* Delete the folders of older versions of Reseed
* Extract this archive
* Check you now have a "reseed (v5)" folder.

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 5 - beta3).zip
    25.7 KB · Views: 202
Top Bottom