New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Ooh, we ran a NES like this once a few years ago... I was a Hungarian Field Marshal serving under Symphony D.

Game name: yet to be determined

Topic: NESers would play as generals in Germany during WW1

Basically the players enter as divisional commanders, which an NPC kaiser, CiC, General staff, and other generals, and work their way up the ladder through the war. Will you push for continued offensives and movement after Marne in order to avoid set trenches? Will you avoid the marne, instead launching a naval invasion on Britain, and sweeping from the north from normandy into paris? Or will you leave the west alone, and focus your wrath on Russia? Will you mass produce tanks to break verdun, and eventually Paris and london? Allies are up in the air, as Italy, ottomans, japan, and USA consider which side to join.

It would involve the general staff allocating resources and managing the industry and manpower of the nation. The players could influence this by either getting onto the staff through appointment by the chairman, through a string of impressive victories, or simply by gaining "influence" with the generals on the staff and staying out of the limelight yourself. gain influence by following anothers' plans, no matter how bad they be, and turning them into a victory. Come up with a brilliant plan, and let someone take credit for it. the possibilities are endless.

The map would focus on europe, with events simulating conflicts in africa, the pacific, and america. These will determine how many forces you allocate where, as well as troops from countries off the map such as japan, the commonwealth, and america. Currently thinking of 2 week turns.

Make suggestions, discuss, and let me know if you are interested. this will be the first NES I would possibly GM, so im open to any and all suggestions for the wars.

This was and still is inspired by LizNES5, Glory in the Sun, and Sonereal giving me the idea for a WW1 NES, war room style.
Ooh, we ran a NES like this once a few years ago... I was a Hungarian Field Marshal serving under Symphony D.
Yes, it's been done; stalin006 did Toukon NES, which died very early, and ~Darkening~ attempted to revive it with DarkNES II(I?), which died even faster. They remain good ideas on the face of it, which were badly implemented in reality. (Like most NESes.) I, of course, would be extremely interested.

I don't think limiting players to Germany would work out very well; going all the way down to divisional command would create an entirely new game, effectively, while further diluting already-thin reserves of players, while at the same time placing an undue burden on the mod as far as NPCing France and Russia and Austria-Hungary and Italy and the UK and Serbia and Romania and the Ottoman Empire and Greece and Bulgaria and Japan and China and the United States goes.

Playing the political game is only interesting so far as it goes; there was only really one political struggle of import (that between Falkenhayn and OberOst), and that was awfully one-sided and reliant on the whim of the Kaiser. The possibility of being sacked and replaced, however, should be an ever-present specter that the mod could visit on a given player if he performs very badly.

The production side should be relevant, but it's a lot less interesting than you think it is, and chiefly reliant on forces outside the militaries' control.

Also, you will need to correctly implement some form of fog of war, which has never been done all that satisfactorily yet is essential for an effective simulation.

Is someone able to do a reboot of Luckymoose's Kings of the World NES, or something similar?

I made a pre-NES thread if you want to join :D

So, Hopefully within a week or so my new NES will be starting. Here is a link to the thread for those who haven't noticed. I've had a fair bit of interest, but I still need new players so check it out if you haven't already :).

I'm bouncing between three NES ideas at the moment and didn't want to make a pre-thread (just yet):

Idea #1-
This is to be a spiritual successor to the last NutraNES, drawing from the lore, advancing that story to a certain point, but ultimately abandoning the nessos-style and favoring something more akin to fulton's Varica. Players play demi-god hero kings descended from the original titans/immortals who have carved out small realms after some cataclysmic event shattered the balance achieved by the titans/immortals. At the start of the game the players are more-or-less regional powers and have begun to look outwards for expansion.

Idea #2-
Borrowed, in part, from Fulton's border kings idea, but changed into something more colonial. Players play interested parties of a galactic-or-magical (very low magical) empire that has found some new land/planet and has begun to colonize it. Think Circuit's Circuitria, but on a planet/continental stage.

Idea #3 (and the one I began to like more and more after mulling over it during my shower)-
Players play the bad guys (yet to be determined if that means orcs/trolls/barbarians/some awesome new and terrible race) who move under the direction of some great spirit God. They are warlords of the yet-to-be-determined race and their goal is to conquer as much land/amass enough wealth/gain enough loyal followers to set themselves up as virtual god-kings of some terrible new kingdom. War will be constant and the main-stay of this NES.

Thoughts? I can present mechanics for the NES'--I've drafted up rules and such/stolen a great deal from a great deal of other NES'.

I am deeply interested in the third one, and the second option looks interesting as well. Not saying i will join though.

In the third option, will there only be the bad population to war with? Or will there be good guys, good guys who can turn bad, neutrals, and even badder guys around as well?

I am deeply interested in the third one, and the second option looks interesting as well. Not saying i will join though.

In the third option, will there only be the bad population to war with? Or will there be good guys, good guys who can turn bad, neutrals, and even badder guys around as well?

Well initially you start off raiding the villages on the outskirts of some puny human kingdom. POONY HOOMANS >:C But yes, there would be shades of grey introduced as players pillage onwards.

#2 sounds good to me. Some sort of colonial NES, whether that be historical or interplanetary, sounds intriguing.

I dunno if I want to do historical--not enough leeway for me to muck about. I was thinking more so a low-fantasy (terribly low) type thing if I were to do it on a single-continent scale. There may be magic, but it is very rare and very costly.

Idea #1! :) :) :)

Idea #1 FTW.

What I meant is that the concept of creating colonies independent from a larger polity, whether that be in an historical or other context, is appealing.

Time to expand!

Ideally I will have the players working both with and without the central government. At the start players will choose a background from a provided list--something like:

Ecclesiastic Order
Your primary concern in the new world is to spread [insert faith] and amass more souls for the church. You gain bonuses to colony order due to their fervent devotion to the gods.

Estranged Princeling
You are not colonizing the new world out of any adventurous spirit, pious zeal, or fierce greed, but because you have been in some argument with you father or done something so wrong that you have been cast from your house. You were not left without the loyalty of those who served you and you gain bonuses to troop discipline due to the loyalty you inspire in your soldiers.

Merchanting Company
You are directed by avarice first and all else is a distant second. You have coaxed investors into funding your journey to the new world and are obligated to bring back great riches for these gracious men and women. You gain bonuses to goods production due to your mercantile acumen.

And so on so forth. There are other backgrounds to choose from like religious/political refugees, exploration outfits, mercenary companies, imperial eyes, etc.

Now backgrounds/players fall into one of two sphere's Independent or Imperial. An independent player does whatever they like at whatever pace they want; conversely an imperial player follows directives sent down from the council that sponsors them (the imperial eye, for instance, takes orders from the emperor itself; an ecclesiastic order, however, receives commands from the central church). The benefit of playing independent is that you are free to coax whatever old world factions you want and even piss off a few without fearing much repercussion. Imperial players, on the other hand, are aligned to some faction right off the bat and gain all the positives and negatives associated with that. An Imperial Colonizer, for instance, may receive a steady supply of colonists each turn and troops to guard them, but these colonists must be settled in a specific spot or yield a specific crop in x amount of turns.

Relations with the old world will be important in the NES because it is how you attract colonists (unless you discover other means :mwaha:), mercenary regiments, and favorable prices for the things you ship back (should you choose to ship things back--you can play a self-sufficient style if you wish!).

Funnily enough, this NES isn't even my most fleshed out one.

Idea #1 :3

I really like the idea, nutranurse. At least what you have fleshed out so far. You seem interested in it, too, which is important.

I invite you to not listen to any of us, and choose what you want to do and what will keep you the most interested (thus yielding more updates and a longer NES).

Screw that; idea #1!

@Seon & Masada: Why am I not surprised?

NES #1 plays out... strangely. Due to the world-bending finale that was planned for NutraNES: Aros all people, save for a select few, were turned into mud to reflect their lesser state (you can thank Ichthyos for that). Thus Mudmen came into existence! Think of them as super-serfs--they are literally tied to the land the farm. The only (known) people who escaped this change were the products of Immortal/Titan & human pairings. The players represent the purest of these bloodlines. Obviously because most people are mud they cannot fight very well (but boy can they farm), instead a player's armies are composed of their own family and lesser bloodlines they have attracted to their banner. Warriors are born more so than they are recruited and a player cannot directly influence how many troops they gain per turn or even what these troops turn out to be--it's all up to the clans gettin' busy. War thus becomes something very costly and waged on small scales (it's pretty easy to conquer a mudmen village because they put of no defense). Besieging another player's castle is suicidal in most cases (at least early on).

I'm trying to put a great deal of emphasis on NES #1 being oriented on players interacting with NPC's via the lesser clans and yet-to-be-determined outside forces. Cooperation between players is also fairly important if they wish to wage successful wars or build great cities, but the solo-player can also turn the tides to his favor through exploring the ruined world.

Building industry is also a difficulty players have to overcome because mudmen are not that bright. They can construct their sad, little huts, but ask them to do anything more will result in them staring slack-jawed at you until they emit a weird moaning sound before they shuffle off to gather some turnips or something. The lesser clans come into play again, but they are not very intelligent themselves because their blood is actually muddied. Ordering a new fort to be built or something most often results in the death of many individuals involved, reducing your supply of people to draw upon. Instead occupying ruins is the primary way an empire will expand, but the challenge is not over-extending yourself during the land-grab.

Again, it's strange and I've yet to work it out fully. I just know that people are a more important resource than gold in this NES.

edit:

What I am leaning towards are certain sites where the mud-curse is broken or reduced. Mudmen entering these become almost-intelligent beings; lesser clans entering these sites are rid of their impurities; and players entering these sites become Titan-esque and fully realize their heritage with acts of mythical might. Why these sites exist, why they are where they are, and how they break the mud-curse would be the central 'plot' of the NES.

Top Bottom