Number of Colonization players

For me the transport strategy is how everything works in coordinated pairs. Transport units move people and goods, though people can move slowly on their own. Your opening ship depends mainly on travel time to Europe but once your scouts start piling up treasure you have to buy a galleon so the king doesn't get half your treasure.

The galleon's capacity means you can found a well-equipped colony in one move but meanwhile more treasure is ready to go to Europe so you might make the colony walk a few squares to get the money faster. Wagons go inland to trade but also supply colonies. Which first? And is it better for your privateer to do some supply runs in between lying in wait for rival shipping?

Once your scout gets to the west coast and founds a city there you have ships moving in two directions. You also want a road to trade faster with the interior. Guns are an item each colony needs, plus you want to trade guns to the natives living near your rivals, so dragoons transport the guns and wagons take back the surplus horses. Experts and master tradesmen go where they're needed by travelling as scouts or dragoons.

There's more detail on city growth and fighting the king in the strategy thread but I find being able to move fast makes everything easier.

The transport strategy is finding the most effective way to manage horses, wagons, ships and roads.

First forum post. My copy of Civ4 Col should arrive in tomorrow. I have been very excited to relive parts of my childhood. I plan on playing vanilla to see what it has to offer and then probably snag TAC.
The wife has had much amusement over my celebratory antics. :crazyeye:

First forum post. My copy of Civ4 Col should arrive in tomorrow. I have been very excited to relive parts of my childhood. I plan on playing vanilla to see what it has to offer and then probably snag TAC.
The wife has had much amusement over my celebratory antics. :crazyeye:

Welcome to the forum Theswerd [party] :band: :popcorn: :beer:

Have fun

It's here! It's here! I got it! It's here!

Now I gotta finish work, walk home, do some chores around the apt (so the wife doesn't get mad at me) and cook dinner... then I can play!!!!

I'm playing all kinds of Civ-games. Civ5, Civ4, CivBE, Civ4Col. I think each game has its strengths and weaknesses. I play Col like once or twice a year, a few games over a week or two.

The last few games of colonization were TAC. I am not really 'up to date' with Col mods, but that one seemed nice. Fixed enough bad things without changing everything.

Oh my god! I'm an active player since years and was an active modder of RaR for approx. 3 years - but never recognized this thread...of course you can add me as RaR 2.2 player (loved TAC before I noticed RaR, since then I only play RaR).

I've only just started playing Civ4Col recently after getting it on a compilation disk I'd been wanting for the complete Civ4. I can't say I love the game (yet!), but when I began playing, I planned to play for only about a half hour and get a feel for the game and ended up playing for a couple hours. It's more complex than I'd originally reckoned, and I think it will provide some good game play, but I wasn't aware until now that there are mods for the game. I'm a big fan of Civ2, wasn't fond of Civ3, and have dipped only a toe into Civ4, but I like it so far.

Does anyone have any mod that they particularly recommend? I've only just begun to scratch the surface of the game as originally designed, I think.

Does anyone have any mod that they particularly recommend? I've only just begun to scratch the surface of the game as originally designed, I think.
For starters I would recommend the TAC-mod (well balanced and well documented), as it is still quite close to the original Civ4-Col. After having got some experience with that RaR would come to mind, which later then can be changed by some of the available modmods to it.

Not a good idea to ask for a mod to be recommended in a thread were there are as many tastes as posts. If you want to know which mod they recommend, simply look which mod they play or they mod. ;)

I got Civ4Colonization this past Friday. Spent my entire weekend playing it. Thankfully it has an ingame clock as Civ4 did, or I could have been late for work today.

It's been a while since a game managed to give me the "Just one more turn..." feeling this strongly.

I've tried a few mods, for now I'm sticking with TAC.

Been playing off and on for years now. Briefly a beta tester for RaR (very briefly :lol: ).

All thru this site only.

JosEPh :)

I play a homemade RoR-modmod based on some 1.late-version

C4C has becomed my "not a single new game that intrests me, i'll just play the old faithful"- game.
I play hotseat 5 player multiplayer against myself since i don't really find so much challange from the AI. Then about 1600-1650 i come to the phace where war is inevedable, and thats not so inspiring in a solomulti. About this time the game is such a choireoverseer and timethief while it's pretty hard to remember what each nation is up to, so then it funnier to just start over.
It's the peacefull expansion in period frpm 1492-1550 that really gives me a good time and whats makes this game my all time favorite.

I play TAC.

My only gripe with TAC, is that it just takes a long time to complete a game compared to Vanilla. Sometimes you just wanna play a quick game, but cannot do Vanilla simply because you ALWAYS start in the south. That really ruins it for me.

I play TAC.

My only gripe with TAC, is that it just takes a long time to complete a game compared to Vanilla. Sometimes you just wanna play a quick game, but cannot do Vanilla simply because you ALWAYS start in the south. That really ruins it for me.

Ermmnnn, how do you always start in the south? Most of my games have a fair balance of north, equator, and then south.

^ In the vanilla game your caravel always starts in the southeast. Most overhaul mods have fixed that issue though. Surprised there isn't a mod that only fixes the starts in the vanilla game.

This is a really annoying bug and ironically it was introduced by the patch. Before that the starting positions were random. However the patch fixes too many other issues for me to play without it.

I prefer playing vanilla so I just put up with it, but as you say it would be useful to have a mod that just fixes that one problem.

Top Bottom