How quickly do you adapt to new technology?

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I mean, suppose a new program or hardware or OS comes out. How quickly do you switch to it?

I suppose I'm a bit slower than most. Instead of the cutting edge I like to wait till it's more stable and there's more reviews of whatever-it-is.

Not until there's a reason to. I don't pursue hardware for the point of pursuing hardware.

Whenever I build/get new computer or when I upgrade RAM/Graphics cards. Freeware I usually upgrade near immediately unless there is an issue. Commerical software gets upgraded only if there is something useful in the new version I can use.

New OS only when I get a new computer.

I update all my programs to the latest non-beta versions on the second Wednesday of every month.

I don't try new programs, becuase mine already do everything I need to do.

Operating systems I'll throw up in a VM whenever they're released. For my Windows computers, I get the latest version when I purchase. For my non-Windows computers, I update to the latest versions at my convenience.

My hardware purchases have no relation to the age of the hardware that is available, or that I'm selecting. When I need hardware to do something, I purchase whatever is going to serve me best for the money I'm willing to spend.

Here's a few examples of what I mean by a bit slower. I'm not gonna go into physical hardware/computers as finances limit that.

When Firefox 3 first came out in beta, I waited until most of my addons were compatible before upgrading. As I actually use my addons.

Unless there's something interesting in beta versions, I always try to download stable versions. Some of my programs aren't the latest version because things I like are messed up or it crashes a lot. (e.g. I use Yahoo Messenger 8.1 as the newest version messed up all the buttons and stuff and crashes on Vista!)

I usually wait to buy games, because after a while people lose interest and they go on sale so I end up paying cheap instead of $40 or something.

Unless there's something interesting in beta versions, I always try to download stable versions. Some of my programs aren't the latest version because things I like are messed up or it crashes a lot. (e.g. I use Yahoo Messenger 8.1 as the newest version messed up all the buttons and stuff and crashes on Vista!)

That's not a problem with good software.

Yeah, I know. I often find that software made by individuals is better (in stability and quality) sometimes then big corporation freeware. No idea why.

Whenever I need to. Which is usually a bit behind the curve.

I'm a tightwad so I tend to be behind the curve.
This. I would love to adopt every new technology that they spit out, or at least try it out for a while, but I'm not rich enough for that.

Oh, btw, I'm not talking about mundane things like bigger megahurtz or higher version numbers, I'm talking about genuine innovations, like fancy new mobile devices or new interwebs technologies (which tend to be free...)

I buy a new computer an average of every five years. Same with cellphones. And when I do buy new, I don't buy the latest model. I think I have a PS2, but I haven't dug it out in ages, I prefer my NES. The computer games I play are usually around five years old. I love oldversion.com. It's a combination of being cheap, being satisfied with current technology, nostalgia, and apathy. I'm in no rush.

My friends and I just spend the past 2 hours playing Bomberman 3 on the SNES. That's pretty much all we play anymore. It's amazing.

My friends and I just spend the past 2 hours playing Bomberman 3 on the SNES. That's pretty much all we play anymore. It's amazing.

I buy a new computer an average of every five years. Same with cellphones. And when I do buy new, I don't buy the latest model. I think I have a PS2, but I haven't dug it out in ages, I prefer my NES. The computer games I play are usually around five years old. I love oldversion.com. It's a combination of being cheap, being satisfied with current technology, nostalgia, and apathy. I'm in no rush.

Oh my god...:dubious: you guys and your old games!:lol:

New technology is my emeny! :mad:
I'm not very good with adapting to some new stuff of which I never had some need of before it has been invented, so I'll always stick with the old and approved tools as long as possible.

I don't very often. Not for lack of wanting, but lack of cash. All my open source stuff is on the latest beta (including in one case alpha and another nightly) versions. All my paid stuff is years old.

I don't upgrade unless I'm forced to. Old games are almost by definition better.

Top Bottom