Please help me get an Immortal domination vic!

AJL.

Chieftain
Ok, so I won a sci vic (thanks everyone in the forum for your help!) on Immortal and I'm now trying for a domination vic. I thought following the city growth & happiness line while going straight for the Alhambra (after S.Zeus) would be a good strategy but other civs are beating me to it (the Alhambra). So, I guess that's not the way!

Should I get three strong cities, S.Zeus, forget the Alhambra and and go for M.Men before I capture my first city? I guess it depends on your neighbours, but I've tried with CB & pikemen and if your neighbours have elephants, for example, you're going to lose.

What do you think? Thanks in advance :)

If your playing America, Alhambra does nothing for you. It will not allow you to start minutemen at march. If you really want Alhambra on immortal, your safest bet will be Liberty for a GE to use on it. But really, there are better domination strategies than this. You can take out a neighbor or two with CB and a few spears.

Sorry guys, I know more details are needed...
I'm playing Pocatello on a standard continents' map with 6 civs. I'm going full Tradition and Honour.
I would love to hear some excellent Immortal domination strategies because my early game play until now is not getting me where I want to be.
I know you can win with CB and spears but, like I said, it depends on your neighbours because sometimes those units simply aren't enough.
So, when going for this kind of vic on this level what do you guys think your priorities should be in terms of techs and wonders?
Thanks!

to me in BNW, unless you are a special civ like Mongols, it seems much easier to get domination wins via a late push with artillery, bombers, etc. If you start attacking early, the entire world hates you and you can't get good trade deals and have to fend off DOWs. That's trouble. If you wait til later to attack, you can get around this, and plus you have benefit of happiness from ideologies, which makes conquering much easier.

Sure, late push is great if you tear ahead in science and aren't playing large or huge. You let AI go untouched to the industrial/modern era on immortal on a large or huge map and they'll have enormous armies and territory. It'll be fun and all but I bet you won't win militarily until after a science victory. Just saying. You'll take out 3-4 capitals and then all the AI with huge military will start DOWing you and you'll have a hard time advancing. If you do some sneaky captial snipes and most caps are on the coast it's possible, but I would not recommend doing all of your warmongering after artillery even though it's easier.

You want some AI to die early. Usually about 1/3-1/2 before artillery. If you want to maintain early relations, then get some other AI to go to war with you. Snipe a city or 2 (including the capital) and let your "buddies" finish the rest. They love you, you have trading partners, etc. Continue this pattern so that all the civs on your continent except your war buddies are dead. Then when world congress comes around nobody is the wiser except your warmonger friends and they don't care. I would pay AI to go to war with each other several decades before I entered the fray too as on immortal they keep a larger army then you can afford. You want them to trim each other down a size first and keep each other distracted.

That said, if you don't care about keeping up relations then conquering the whole world is still doable. I did a large world where I just rolled on and on, wiping out everyone and leaving them with nothing but incredibly crappy cities or nothing. This allowed me to leave those flanks mostly undefended (just a single defender per city) and keep going with a smaller army. Everybody knew about my deeds but they couldn't stop me as I had them all on defensive and kept nearby CS as friends. It's quite possible to keep your empire trim, competitive, and happy without any trading partners. Just be wise about which cities you keep and how you let your satellites grow. Then rush 3 factories as fast as possible for a happiness boost from autocracy and ride that until you finish everyone else. If you fall a little behind in science (I stayed in 2nd place most of the game anyway without RA's and the like due to population and size) autocracy has a tenet which doubles your stealing rate as well. If worst comes to worst save the tech leader for last and nuke him before the invasion. Risky waiting that long but usually enough time between nukes and science vic to snipe the last capital or two.

Oooh, danaphanous, clearly you are a mean machine, but... I have taken one civ and already everyone hates me, plus I'm not the first to choose my ideology so clearly I'm doing something wrong :/
Help!

Hmmm, yeah, that can happen, especially if you are the first to start wars and a few people know about it. Sucks in the beginning because usually they refuse to trade you luxuries first so you get happiness problems.

Here's a general plan of how a world-conquest on immortal might go:

The main idea with immortal is they start with several key advantages including the tech for archery and, 2-3 warriors, and a free worker. If you let them go they will get ahead for a time. They also get gold advantages. But for an opportunistic player, all of these advantages can be yours. The AI starts with a free worker? Steal it. The AI get gold bonuses? Take advantage of this by hooking up your resources as fast as possible: horses, iron and selling them all for 2 gpt apiece. A lot of AI will make this trade as long as you trade 1 resource at a time. So just keep making trades like 1 horse for 2 gpt, another horse for 2 gpt, 1 iron for 2 gpt. Not everyone does it, and usually they'll only do a few, but it makes for some massive early gold, and you've essentially stolen all their gold as they can't use all those horses or iron now that they can't support the troops! haha! AI also enter golden ages early so watch for when their gpt soars and make these deals then. They will be eager and in 10 turns when the GA vanishes they will be negative for 20 more turns and be nerfed in science.

If you intend to go for world conquest from the get-go, then play it easy in the early beginning, especially if a lot of ppl know each other. You want at least a DoF or two before starting the first war that results in you taking cities as taking cities cranks up your warmonger stat real quick. A lot of the timing of when you begin striking is due to luck or the AI involved. If you start relatively near a warmonger with a weak civ between you, most can be easily bribed into fighting with you and splitting the cake. Just cough up some gpt or an extra luxury and that's all the incentive they need. Other times you get 4 peaceful civs and can't get any allies for early war--these games are harder, so play it by ear.

That said, early economic wars can be very beneficial. One thing you can do if I intend to spill some blood is DoW the first AI you meet if you are sure he is near you (aka found his capital). No one else knows about it bc you've met no one else and you can steal his starter worker for yourself. There is no way his 2-3 warriors can take your capital at this point and you have now transformed his main advantage (a free starting worker) to your own. If you can manage it, Keep the war going, even if you meet someone else the DoW is past and they don't seem to notice or care if you are already at war when they meet you. I'd try to pillage for some early gold and steal another worker before making peace. The point isn't to take his capital which will be a long and costly affair. It's to economically cripple him. You now essentially have 2 starting workers for free, have set your closest neighbor back maybe 30 turns (which snowballs) and have free workers to accelerate your capital's early growth. From this point, shoot straight for education and medieval military tech. Play it peaceful. Use your advantage to catch up on science. And bide your time. Don't explore much. It limits your early trade options but often you only need 3 AI or so to pawn off your extra luxes and resources for gold. Also, you want to have met as few AI as possible when you invade your first civ.

When you have a good empire rolling and nice positive happiness, before world congress is founded (trebuchets and longswordsmen are a good time) then take someone. Usually the AI you crippled early-game is weaker and a nice first pick. You should have a couple of friends that you can hopefully entice to attack with you, but ideally make them go to war a dozen or so turns before you so they both weaken each other. You DO want friends for this war, I would not start it without them, as having friends and the AI in question being a common enemy lessens your warmonger hit. Beeline the capital and burn any cities that will just be a happiness drain. Let your allies finish the AI, but never do it yourself. The idea is to leave them crippled as bait. Then if someone else finishes them off they get the huge warmonger hit and you can pin the attention on them.

If everyone hates someone else they are often a good second target as the AI won't care as much about them. If you can do this to 2-3 AI before world congress you have made a good start. After WC trade for all the lux deals you can get. Once you have them all locked down and have a good positive happiness do some more warmongering. The world will often know you for what you are at this point but often this leaves about 4-5 AI defeated. You'll suffer in happiness as they stop trading with you but you have 30 turns of luxes before all your new trades end. Use this time to build happiness buildings, acquire CS, and burn cities that are a drain. Then sit tight and tech like crazy to be the first to ideologies. This also makes sure you don't fall behind on tech. Once you pick autocracy there are enough happiness options there to keep you flush even on your own with the rest of the world hating you.

This advice is for the typical game, where you start and immediately meet 4-5 AI on a mid-sized continent with others farther afield that you won't meet till WC. If you start on a smaller continent with only 1-2 AI then you are golden. Wipe them out and no one else is the wiser. In fact, just keep war going, it's immortal so you're better off not letting them snowball with their advantages. Steal their workers, pillage their improvements. Stunt them as much as possible. Then finish them off before you meet anyone else.

If you really want an immortal domination victory or even deity, why not head on over to the strategy and tips section? There are many people there going over domination victories and information about domination victories in the highest difficulties.

Thank you so much, danaphanous!
From what you say I can see that my big problem is the way I play other players and not so much my own gameplay. However, they're obviously interconnected so that's why I'm failing. What I want to say is that I only had half of it down and you've pointed out the other half I need to take care of. Thanks again and I'll let you know how I go :ar15:

People are already getting the deity domination victory in strategy and tips section. You could find more help there.

Yeah, there are some good resources here and some dedicated forums that might serve you better. good point reddishrecue. Hope your next domination is a success AJL! A large immortal map is a challenge but also a blast--it is easier to play the other AI against each other and work as I said, however, some players will argue that you can ignore all that and play the straight warmonger.

This works as well, but is harder, and you still want to keep the world from uniting against you so keep diplomacy in mind. Ideally you want to not be the only one warring all the time otherwise the AI catch on and band against you. If you have to do some bribing and give up some gold to put the world to war so they aren't so focused on you this is usually always worth it. :)

Happy Dominating!

Thanks!
Hey, when you say bribing, do you mean giving a civ gold/luxes so that they will go to war on someone? I've never done that. In fact, I didn't know you could...

Top Bottom