Do you cheat when you get beat to a wonder or city site?

In my book, reloading and exploiting AI on Deity is fair game. It's not like the AI doesn't cheat. Regarding the teacher thing: the fastest way to learn and get better at civ if you get beat is to reload and retry. If you didn't bring enough units to take a city, reload and bring enough units. Now you know how many units it takes.

OTOH, if you are playing a Deity challenge and the owner says no reload, don't reload.

You say you're cheating yourself by reloading. I'm just asking what you're cheating yourself out of. You can be flippant, dismissive, and avoid answering if you want.

Didn`t see this bit.

Fine, I`ll put you out of your misery.

This is how I see it.

I play for immersion.

When I do something, but it doesn`t turn out the way I want it to, I learn from that and adapt, changing my strategy and tactics accordingly until the situation is back the way I want it - or not.

Real decision makers don`t have a reload.
The best leaders, generals and tacticians are the ones that don`t give up when it goes wrong, but adapt and make a win or, just deal with it. there was no rewind Time machine.

I just deal with it, whether bad or good.

If you keep Reloading you don`t learn anything, excpet how to cop out when the going gets tough.

I find this attitude helps me with my real daily life too. It means I whine less about everything.

I see Reload only as a tool for game CTds and coming back to later.:)

Didn`t see this bit.

Fine, I`ll put you out of your misery.

This is how I see it.

I play for immersion.

When I do something, but it doesn`t turn out the way I want it to, I learn from that and adapt, changing my strategy and tactics accordingly until the situation is back the way I want it - or not.

Real decision makers don`t have a reload.
The best leaders, generals and tacticians are the ones that don`t give up when it goes wrong, but adapt and make a win or, just deal with it. there was no rewind Time machine.

I just deal with it, whether bad or good.

If you keep Reloading you don`t learn anything, excpet how to cop out when the going gets tough.

I find this attitude helps me with my real daily life too. It means I whine less about everything.

I see Reload only as a tool for game CTds and coming back to later.:)

I think you're assuming a lot about people's play styles and reasons for playing. I know a lot of people enjoy Civ just to see if they can outmaneuver a dumb, but heavily advantaged AI.

But some of us play Civ a little bit like Minecraft--to create something within the confines of the game engine. Now, granted, there's always more prestige and sense of accomplishment from doing it without reloading (as in Minecraft when you build something legit, without turning on creative), but there are many times when I am really looking forward to the potential of a particular game but when I miss out on a crucial wonder because I didn't chop a forest a few turns back when I could have I decide to edit my alternate history a bit to keep the momentum going the way I want to.

Just depends...there is something to be said for Ironman, yeah, but there's reasons to bend the rules sometimes.

I'd also agree with the poster above: You can learn a lot by replaying the same scenario from different angles.

I feel like you could make this a National and somehow move the rest of the NWs up somehow (Great Library needs libraries, National College Universities, Oxford needs public schools?) I wonder how that'd affect the science curve.

I don't think it would need to be National (in the sense that every city needs a pre-requisite Library). In those times it was only the larger wealthier cities that got special treatment with aqueducts, libraries, forums, colosseums, circuses etc....

Nothing is more frustrating for a warmonger than having to build ampitheatres and opera houses in every city just to get the Hermitage culture bonus so you can keep unlocking the social polices you need.

So I can gauge if you can be rational about your opinion on this.

To be honest, it`s because I didn`t expect you to be rational with any reasonable answer why I gave a flippant response.

I think you're assuming a lot about people's play styles and reasons for playing. I know a lot of people enjoy Civ just to see if they can outmaneuver a dumb, but heavily advantaged AI.

But some of us play Civ a little bit like Minecraft--to create something within the confines of the game engine. Now, granted, there's always more prestige and sense of accomplishment from doing it without reloading (as in Minecraft when you build something legit, without turning on creative), but there are many times when I am really looking forward to the potential of a particular game but when I miss out on a crucial wonder because I didn't chop a forest a few turns back when I could have I decide to edit my alternate history a bit to keep the momentum going the way I want to.

Just depends...there is something to be said for Ironman, yeah, but there's reasons to bend the rules sometimes.

I'd also agree with the poster above: You can learn a lot by replaying the same scenario from different angles.

Like I said, it`s just the way I see it. I`m not telling anyone how to play their game. If you look back, I was responding because a certain person was making sweeping comments against anyone who found reloading as cheating. Talk to him.

To be honest, it`s because I didn`t expect you to be rational with any reasonable answer why I gave a flippant response.

Okay, I won’t pick apart your analogy then. But I don’t think you, or anyone, can articulate a good explanation as to why reloading (in SP) is cheating. Historically, it was not uncommon for “save points” to be significant objectives in games, so maybe that feeds into the mindset.

Like I said, it`s just the way I see it. I`m not telling anyone how to play their game.

You are more than entitled to your opinion, and of course, to play the game the way you like. But by chiming in with your analogy, like you did, you are telling people that how they play their game is wrong!

If you look back, I was responding because a certain person was making sweeping comments against anyone who found reloading as cheating.

Nothing I wrote is nearly as sweeping as the “reloading is cheating” meme.

Friends, please can you just agree to differ? As I see it you both have perfectly valid points, viz:

1. It can't be cheating if the rules allow it
2. Reloading almost by definition does alter the particular game

Great!

Now, what are your views on restarting...?

Okay, I won’t pick apart your analogy then. But I don’t think you, or anyone, can articulate a good explanation as to why reloading (in SP) is cheating. Historically, it was not uncommon for “save points” to be significant objectives in games, so maybe that feeds into the mindset.

You are more than entitled to your opinion, and of course, to play the game the way you like. But by chiming in with your analogy, like you did, you are telling people that how they play their game is wrong!

Nothing I wrote is nearly as sweeping as the “reloading is cheating” meme.

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why I was flippant. I knew this was going nowhere fast.

Your pov is set in concrete and nothing I say or do will make a difference except do what you wanted in the first place: start an argument about some dumb pet peeve you have with someone you don`t know. This was obvious from the get go.

I said I`d bite, and I have, now I go. Live with it, kid.

1. It can't be cheating if the rules allow it
2. Reloading almost by definition does alter the particular game

Agreed on both points, but I think it’s counterproductive to ignore the aspersion when it’s part of title OP chose for his thread!

Your pov is set in concrete and nothing I say or do will make a difference except do what you wanted in the first place: start an argument about some dumb pet peeve you have with someone you don`t know. This was obvious from the get go.

Pot, meet kettle.

Top Bottom