combat odds

tazman8

Chieftain
I was just wondering if anyone had ideas of how the combat odds work later on in the game. The only screens i have seen have been 1 stack vs. 1 stack. I was wondering how the computer figured odds when you are attacking a stack of 10. Does it give you the odds of the top unit or the best unit in the group? Do you get odds off a bombardment?

Also, how often do you think the odds are right?

tazman8 said:
Also, how often do you think the odds are right?

Why wouldn't it be 100% of the time (barring a bug).

Also that isn't showing the odds just the Strength
one unit is 2.2 the other is 1...
in a Knight (10) v. Pikeman (12 v Knight) battle
Solver reported the Odds of the Pikeman winning at 72% (720 out of 1000 tests)
So Strength doesn't directly translate into odds of winning. (otherwise it would be ~55% = 12/22)

The defender gets to defend with the unit in his stack that is suited best for the task. So if you decide you attack with cavalry, you have to deal with pikemen. If you choose swordsman, he will use axeman. Depending on the unit you select, you will see the according one on top of his stack, so your horses aren't "ambushed" without any warning.
AFAIK bomardment occurs only if you lower the defense rating of a city. You won't damage any units in the process, but on the other hand, you don't risk losing the unit either. If you want collateral artillery damage, you have to send in the catapult like any other unit - which means it can be destroyed.

Actually... If your strength is 2.2 and his strength is 1, that is the odds are 2.2:1, then your probability of winning is 68.75 %... At least thats how i figure it :)

Top Bottom