Stop telling me that I lied about not purchasing land because I never promised!

draaibaar

Warlord
I never tell the AI that I won't buy land any more, but I still get those messages. Why should I tell them, I am not in the position to stop it because my city's act on their own! Why keep they telling me I'm a liar when I never lie about it?:mad: Anyone with same experience?

Entering the city screen and spending GOLD to buy tiles is what they are telling you to stop doing, they're not talking about your city's natural culture-based expansion.

Tell them to p@## off and they will get angry; tell them you will stop and ignore it and buy more land and they will get angry. Tell them ok and don't buy land for gold and after long enough you will get "You kept your promise" message after which its ok to buy for gold again.

Tell them to p@## off and they will get angry; tell them you will stop and ignore it and buy more land and they will get angry. Tell them ok and don't buy land for gold and after long enough you will get "You kept your promise" message after which its ok to buy for gold again.

I always buy land, and when they ask me to stop I'll always tell them I won't, so I never lie, still I'll get messages about me lying ...:confused:

Then stop telling them you won't. It's the same message as if you lie to them. You either need to curb your purchasing, do it in a different direction, or deal with the consequence of angry neighbors.

Then stop telling them you won't. It's the same message as if you lie to them. You either need to curb your purchasing, do it in a different direction, or deal with the consequence of angry neighbors.

I understand when they tell me that they are angry because I won't stop purchasing land, this doesn't bother me, but they shouldn't tell me I'm lying about it.

Timing is the key.

Wait to settle until you have extra gold - Then settle + buy 4 tiles on the SAME TURN, and you will have a magical message to stop doing both. If you have no more need for that zone of the board, agree to both and you will not regret it.

I often find myself in situations where the AI tells me not to do something i already intend not to do anyway or asks me to do something i plan on - it's like when your opponent puts you into check, so your counter move checkmates them.

Its like a group game of magic the gathering. Player 2 does a kill everything effect, player 3 looks at me for a counterspell. He knows i have one, but i think it behooves me to allow this soft reset effect. Player 3 promises that if i counterspell Wrath of God, he will not Lightning Bolt my Chronatog. I have to assess the sincerity. He might lie - but player 3 and I both know that if my chronotog is still alive at the begining of my next turn, i win the game. So, to counter or not to? I should not counter because either way i pose to lose my 'Tog and i would rather not lose my counterspell to prevent something that will already happen anyway. I tell player 3 "Use all your instant burn spells right now, and if you have less than 2 cards still in your hand, i will counter it."

Can player 3 burn away all his cards and still win? Can he trust me to counter once his hand is empty? Does he have an Ace? And lastly, how does this situation effect Player 2, patiently waiting to reset the world?

This is whats missing from Civ.

No, he's talking about the AI's odd practice lately of pretending that you made the promise even when you didn't, then getting mad at you for "breaking your promise" later.

^ I was just bordering Napoleon in my current game and he asked me not to buy land near him. I told him to go ride his horse some more. A few turns later (mind you I hadn't even bought anymore land or settled anywhere near him) he started crying about me breaking a promise I never agreed to.

Whether you

1. Are confronted by them and tell them you will do whatever you want
2. Are confronted by them, agree to stop doing it, then do it anyway

leads to the exact same -diplo hit. Break a promise or refuse to make one, it's the same result. The same thing is true for settling, spying, converting, army stacked on borders, etc.

Similarly I was aggressively spreading my religion to other cities, they asked me to stop and I did. Then a few turns later I had the modifier saying that I had broken my promise to not spread religion.

I have also seen this message when a) I never agreed to stop buying tiles, and b) I hadn't bought any tiles within at least 20 or so turns of the message. I similarly see complaints about my expansion when I haven't founded any new cities within a similar amount of time.

I have also seen this message when a) I never agreed to stop buying tiles, and b) I hadn't bought any tiles within at least 20 or so turns of the message. I similarly see complaints about my expansion when I haven't founded any new cities within a similar amount of time.

I don't know about point a but.

Point b i know.

If you conquer too many cities in short space of time, it is counted as rapid expansion. I've been zinged for rapidly expanding via conquest before xD

No, he's talking about the AI's odd practice lately of pretending that you made the promise even when you didn't, then getting mad at you for "breaking your promise" later.

This keeps happening to me to. Not just with buying land but also settling new cities etc.

I've had the same experience a couple of times.
I'll buy some land, AI will ask me to stop buying land, I say: "yes I promise, let's be BFF and hold hands and braid each others hair", I don't buy any more land, nor settle a new city, and then they come back like a whiny b*tch and say: "you promised you wouldn't buy any more land! like I totally can't believe you went behind my back like that. That's like something Wu would do, but not you, my BFF. We like sang songs together while picking daisies".

So anyway, this obviously shouldn't happen. I can't very well stop my culture from expanding my borders naturally can I? Or is this now also to be considered aggressive expansion??

I have the opposite effect sometimes - I settle a city and it's like way far away but they are all "stop expanding towards us" and I'm like "okay bro" and then I do it anyway after a few turns and they don't get angry and however many turns later it says I kept my promise.

I'm also not sure how the settling-near-our-borders thing works since I've gotten an AI to complain when I settled a city that was probably fifteen or so hexes away from his territory, across water.

By "my territory" the AI really means "land I want to expand to". When they 'covet your lands' it means you are settled in that area. When they complain about 'dealing with city-states in my area of influence' it tends to mean that city-state is in that area.

Similarly I was aggressively spreading my religion to other cities, they asked me to stop and I did. Then a few turns later I had the modifier saying that I had broken my promise to not spread religion.

I've had this happen and I think it may count if you are spreading your religion to a CS that they feel is in their sphere of influence. I know that after spreading my religion to a city that shared my religion (5 followers) and the AI's religion (2 followers), the effect reduced the AI's followers to 0 and increased mine to 6. Next turn I got the message that I had broken my promise.

I've had this happen and I think it may count if you are spreading your religion to a CS that they feel is in their sphere of influence. I know that after spreading my religion to a city that shared my religion (5 followers) and the AI's religion (2 followers), the effect reduced the AI's followers to 0 and increased mine to 6. Next turn I got the message that I had broken my promise.

I think there's a glitch in the logic. I had promised Persia not to buy tiles or settle nearby since I had just dropped a city on his border and was done growing that way. We soon ended up at war (he sent one too many prophets at me AND stole a tech) and I beat the snot out of him. He begged for mercy and gave me two cities to buy me off. Then two turns later he wined that I had broken my expansion promise.

I laugh when your spy is killed and you promise not to spy on them anymore. Well, it is true at the time- I don't have a spy. You killed him!

Top Bottom