Best Domination Civ - Comparison

JohnYoga

Prince
Hello Folks,

Playing on Continents on King or Above, starting at the Medieval Era, Quick Speed - who have you had the most success with in arriving at a Domination Victory? Or, if you have not played them, yet have an opinion - why did you pick the one you are recommending?

1. Arabia
  2. Huns
  3. Japan
  4. Mongolia
  5. Ottomans
  6. Zulu
  7. Other?

Thank you,

Marc

Never played the settings you're suggesting, but logic suggests that with a late era start and quick game speed you want civs with UUs that occur in the later tech eras and don't become redundant too soon (else you might find they need upgrading while en route to target).

That in mind, I think America and England could be strong.

Minutemen and B-52s both obsolete slowly, and are amongst the strongest units of their era.

Ships of the Line make for easy naval captures, and longbowmen are good too, though actually for both these units you generally want to be upgrading into them rather than building them, for various reasons.

Those settings make a lot of atypical warmongers stronger. For instance, anyone with a strong knight or musketman specialty on that start could rush the tech and sweep a continent quick if you did it fast. Even Korea, with their Hwa'tcha's would be super strong as it has 50% vs. melee. Just build some catapults first to maintain the 50% vs. cities and you'll have units with both on them...they'll massacre armies as well as cities. And turtle ships would sweep the coastal cities.

If you want a classic medieval rush, Zulu will dominate on those settings. They practically start with their requisite impi tech. Just build an Ikanda first, then pump out as many impi as you want after getting a worker or two going. With their flank, extra movement, and cover bonuses, free spear throw, and extra exp they could probably conquer a continent before anyone else got caravels over to you. Don't even bother building settlers or CB's just kill everyone else and fill in the gaps afterward. THis is easy enough since Zulu get a 50% discount on melee support so you can field 2x the early army of anyone else. If you get to a walled defender with high pop you could probably still take them, but maybe one catapult to be sure. You didn't specify map size, but anything large (and maybe even huge) and down zulu will probably wipe out everyone on the continent before the era is over. And, unlike every other pikeman, they are head-to-head with musketman and maybe better with flanking and free throw and they upgrade straight to rifleman carrying all their upgrades to continue the carnage in the next era. Sick.

Those settings make a lot of atypical warmongers stronger. For instance, anyone with a strong knight or musketman specialty on that start could rush the tech and sweep a continent quick if you did it fast. Even Korea, with their Hwa'tcha's would be super strong as it has 50% vs. melee. Just build some catapults first to maintain the 50% vs. cities and you'll have units with both on them...they'll massacre armies as well as cities. And turtle ships would sweep the coastal cities.

If you want a classic medieval rush, Zulu will dominate on those settings. They practically start with their requisite impi tech. Just build an Ikanda first, then pump out as many impi as you want after getting a worker or two going. With their flank, extra movement, and cover bonuses, free spear throw, and extra exp they could probably conquer a continent before anyone else got caravels over to you. Don't even bother building settlers or CB's just kill everyone else and fill in the gaps afterward. THis is easy enough since Zulu get a 50% discount on melee support so you can field 2x the early army of anyone else. If you get to a walled defender with high pop you could probably still take them, but maybe one catapult to be sure. You didn't specify map size, but anything large (and maybe even huge) and down zulu will probably wipe out everyone on the continent before the era is over. And, unlike every other pikeman, they are head-to-head with musketman and maybe better with flanking and free throw and they upgrade straight to rifleman carrying all their upgrades to continue the carnage in the next era. Sick.

I would think the Continents setting would make Warmongering MUCH more ineffective; after all, a huge portion of my army would have to wait until we have access to the open sea transferring techs and, it will take a painfully long time to get a sizable military to the other continents/land masses. This is why I think warmongering is only effective on Pangea and perhaps other land masses which allow for early medieval "short distance sea crossings", not needing higher navigation type techs. See what I mean? I could be wrong.

Regards,

Marc

England for obvious reasons. I prefer Russia for domination though.

Wait until the atomic age. Take all the civ territory with uranium, build 10 nuclear sub's with 20 nuclear missile and conquer the entire map in one turn. Ahhh good times.

Zulu. And Greece with lots of city-states.

On Continents and Quick, England will be a very good choice. Not only thanks to SOTLs, but the +2 movement to ships gives civs on other continents less time to improve their army or tech before you arrive, which is vital on the shorter game speeds.

Antagonise and Humantorch,

Thank you for the England consideration, especially because they have a nice 1-2 knockout punch of fast ships and quick moving crossbowman.

It's a shame there are no transport ships in the game. What I mean is, it would be great to have medieval ships that could transport 3+ land units.

Regards,

Marc

Germany, Zulu, and maybe huns are all good domination civilizations. ... there's probably more. .. but these are the ones I could pull off of my head early.

Antagonise and Humantorch,

Thank you for the England consideration, especially because they have a nice 1-2 knockout punch of fast ships and quick moving crossbowman.

It's a shame there are no transport ships in the game. What I mean is, it would be great to have medieval ships that could transport 3+ land units.

Regards,

Marc

That's how it used to be and it was a neat mechanic. You'd load up your land units on a transport and make landfall with 30 tanks. Xcom is just as good for landgames, as others have stated but replacing a fun mechanic with an op one was a bad move on the devs part.

If you want to add composite bowmen and crossbows then you could add china and england into best domination. Chu ko nu already have logistics so you dont have to worry about ranking up these units for the may attack twice promotion. The same thing can be said with England because the longbowmen already have the range promotion which doesn't require you to rank up your longbows and you can attack far away from a city's radius without being attacked..

Venice is broken with the ability to crush in the early game.

I'd also add Babylon for the GS after writing (no need for early library or NC rush) with bowmen, and Iroquois with the unbeatable early Mohawk Warrior spam.

Germany can get your army up quick with a few more warriors added into the army from barb camp raids. The iroquois have the mohawk warriors which also don't require iron so you can spam them without suffering from iron deficiencies.

Top Bottom