Autocracy diplo victory?

Chemical Toilet

Chieftain
Sounds like an interesting play style.

What's the best Civ to use for an autocracy diplo victory?

Is it best combined with warmongering or better to focus soley on gunboat diplomacy?

What's the best starting tree to pick (Go wide or tall)? Which is best for limited/no warmongering?

IMO any civ is best at diplomacy because it is too easy. I always delete 5 city states from the advanced options before playing the game because regardless of the victory I'm going for, or the civ I'm playing, I always otherwise end up with a diplomacy victory.

I think most civs are better at domination with autocracy instead of diplomacy, when it comes to victory.

Well, the thing that most of Autocracy is about making it very good to fight a war then.
Gunboat Diplomacy is added on top of it, and doesn't really fit well except that if you were planning on fighting you'd want a larger army which is what's needed to intimate the city states.

The best synergy for Autocracy diplomacy is the case of city states had previously been conquered by some other player. In this case, you would be using the military bonuses from Autocracy to help liberate the city state, which instantly makes you allies. If it starts to degrade, just station some troops nearby.

Conquering a major AIs city near a city state is a great way to get a military base close enough to station some troops to intimate the city state.

Related is the Autocracy cultural victory, again the culture victory bonuses are attached to what's mostly making your civ great at conquering. Basically the synergy there is a combo of conquering someone with a bunch of great works to relocate into your empire and also the tourism bonus for shared allies.

Liberty is for self founding a wide empire, Tradition works better if you only found a few cities but use warfare to later attach a wide empire to the tall core. (Monarchy's 50% of pop unhappiness in the capital is much bigger than the happiness bonus from Liberty)

I figure autocracy diplo can stand well on it's own though. I was just curious if anyone else had tried it or had a specific strategy they had worked out for it. Gunboat diplomacy being the center piece but most of the lower tenets being there to support it. You're going to need cheaper units and faster build times in order to make an army large enough to intimidate enough city states. On the topic of culture, I would agree, it's more or less just to keep your head above water.

Sweden is great for an autocratic diplo victory. Just gift all the extra generals and admirals to city states.
That works regardless of whether Sweden picked Autocracy.

If you want to play around Gunboat Diplomacy, the Ottomans on Small Continents/Continents Plus/Archipelago and Zulu/Germany on other maps can be a good choice. Basically, civs that can spam units and afford an enormous army.

That works regardless of whether Sweden picked Autocracy.

If you want to play around Gunboat Diplomacy, the Ottomans on Small Continents/Continents Plus/Archipelago and Zulu/Germany on other maps can be a good choice. Basically, civs that can spam units and afford an enormous army.
Except it works better for Sweden because more warmongering=more GGs and GAs.

I figure autocracy diplo can stand well on it's own though. I was just curious if anyone else had tried it or had a specific strategy they had worked out for it. Gunboat diplomacy being the center piece but most of the lower tenets being there to support it. You're going to need cheaper units and faster build times in order to make an army large enough to intimidate enough city states. On the topic of culture, I would agree, it's more or less just to keep your head above water.
The Problem is: Gunboat Diplomacy comes at a time when you could already have bought most of the city states anyway - and the amount of troops you need to convert them all over the map in a reasonable time is just huge. So huge that you would probably be better off just using them for some conquering.

But yeah, if you really want to play it that way, then - as others already said - you'd probably do best with a civ that buffs the amount of troops you can afford.

But I'm wondering if Korea would work. The ability to go wide and get massive bonus science later on might allow you to get a tier ahead, thus giving you modern units earlier which would in return give you more conversion-power for less gpt - and the whatever-it-is-called-tech that gives you +1 vote per Diplomat might actually be what brings you the victory if for example xander is in the game and prevents you from converting some of his 1k+ influence-neighbors. :lol:

Except it works better for Sweden because more warmongering=more GGs and GAs.
But you can warmonger with any ideology and get the same amount of GG/GA, if not more. Autocracy doesn't increase your GG/GA spawn rate in any way.

But you can warmonger with any ideology and get the same amount of GG/GA, if not more. Autocracy doesn't increase your GG/GA spawn rate in any way.
But this topic is on Autocracy and what civ is best for it. Not a particular civs ideology strategy. And Autocracy does indirectly increase spawn rate because going autocracy usually means someone plans to wage a lot of war.

Jon kind of had a point with the liberating cities option. Autocracy can make it a lot easier to liberate city states that have been captured by other civilizations that capture city states. Liberating cities not only give you good diplomatic points with other civilizations but also with the city states which can become your ally immediately. Autocracy increases happiness automatically which makes going for diplomatic victory easy.

Top Bottom