W.I.N.T.E.R's Makings Thread

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
It aslo a differently shaped helmet (very frustrating doing those at Civ-size :()
ahh...just leave it as is then. i mean, by the looks of those b&w pics, it does indeed appear to be a lighter colour.

anyhow, that list looks nice and again, i could add many of them into TCW.

also, a Soviet Red Army Infantry unit would be very, very nice ;)

i like them all Winter, especially the Red Army one. i've just added about 12 or 13 of these into TCW as 'post war' infantry units (1950). excellent work! i especially like all of the extra anims like the victory and fidget. :goodjob:

Since CDG will be shut soon I went and transpherred the last file over here- and I figured many people might not have seen this yet- so I'm posting it for you to read:

Run to the hills, it's....

A Victim's tactic for Modern Warfare (PART 1)
---------------------------------------------

What frustrates me is that I am usually lagging behind in technology and thus keep up only a moderate military size for defense purposes. I mean, what good is it to have expensive resources tied up by having a large but crappy army that would crumble under a mere few units your neighbour can throw at you. Now, my oponent neighbours are usually busy with themselves and as long as they are banging somebody else's head I try to stay allied with them and keep up trade relations (I had sth like 80% of the silk trade in my hands- this also kept my alliances open even when things got nasty) then cometh the time when their greedy eyes fall upon me... and then it is crucial to have a backup plan...

----------------

Only that I didn't have one- I was a weak and technologically backward Monarchy with WWI Infantry and only a handfull of (modded) WWI tanks facing modern armor, paratroopers and marines...
Worst than this contrast in power was the geographic issue- the enemy had expanded around me until virtually encircling me with his cities.

If I had not realised his true intensions early enough (2 rounds) I would not have stood a chance- I had to draft everything I could in every possible city- some 20 something (so that was about 80 units in two rounds plus all projects started within these rounds) to stop the initial brunt of the attack. After these two rounds my population was depleted, my resources were cut and my production dwelling somewhere below the floor level.

Well, I survived in fact after 26 turns I was able to dictate a peace deal... forget trying to hold cities- it won't work, especially not with conscripts- if you lose a city lose it- try to make the AI engage you in the field; in rough terrain- mountains and fortesses on hills- give your troop-stacks one or two veteran modern units, the rest should be conscripts. Save these veterans from direct enemy attack even if you should loose a couple of conscripts in their defense- your army will gain more and more experience and the AI will either avoid attacking a dugg-in military formation, or in the end bleed to death trying to take out your troops.

Do never gather all your veteran troops in one stack- they will eventually be wiped out in a few attacks- try to spread your professional army evenly throughout the front(s) as the strong arm of conscript armies. Dig in and counterattack only to mop up damaged, valuable enemy units in immediate reach- this will give your conscripts experience- and buy you time.

Always keep a rapid response force ready to reinforce your positions. It is therefor crucial to prevent the enemy to destroy vital road/rail connections- keep those open for counterattacks (I am saying this because many players opt for destroying these in order to slow down the enemy assault- this does not help because the idea is to let the enemy bleed to death before your fortifications- NOT to slow down the carnage- stay in control, keep the initiative).

Now repeat after me: I refuse to be a victim

Commentary:
-----------

No matter how hard you try to keep up with science, wasting turns in buildng libary,universities.. in Regent level , you are still behind because, like Winter says, you need to have a strong army in case of a surprise ex-allied attack!... If in PTW build the "towers" . Build these in reomote areas so you can see any suspicious advances.

Another suggestion is to try to biuld a lot of cheaper units:
The reason is you can place them on the front line, then when you are attacked, enemy ground forces will attack them first.
Then in the 'back" place the stronger units and counter-attack!!! on your turn. In conclusion the best strategy in buiding the great libary then biuld markets, banks , make more gold when it comes time when Education is discoverd, then start buying important adavance from other civs.

One more thing NEVER TRADE MAPS!!!!!!!!!!
If you do, all tho maybe that civ is your friend, they can trade with other civs, then the entire world knows where you at!
Better off be hidden so that you can't be attcked from all over.
I learned that the hard way.

My 2 cents !!!!

PART 2)

Persistent (generous) trade is the best way of reducing the chances of your immideate oponents going after you. I had a very good military and economic status with my neighbour for a long time, then something changed- he got his resources elsewhere after having stomped another civ into the ground. This meant he was not threatened on two fronts anymore, and that he was relatively self-sufficient... except silk ... which I had. And its mood began to shift to less favourable stances towards me.

This is a very good indicator that the AI will not feel bound to its treaties:
Eventually mutual protection pacts will run out, trade relations will not be renegociated anymore. Finally the AI will start to provoke you by not reducing its military presence in your country, despite the fact that the free-passage agreement expired a few rounds ago. This is the moment you should get scared and move your ass to VERY speedy emergency mobilization... proven fact: the larger your army size, the less likely is an attack from your opponent; the AI knows exactly how many units you have and can recalculate the odds of waging war against you every turn. At a certain level of advantage to its favor the AI will (!) attack you.

---

The thing is that even towers would not warn you in such a case- the enemy is already there, within your country- he has been a welcomed partner in defense in the past. But now he is hungry for some more- and that lil something is you - so the question that remains is: "When should you start mobilising, and how far should you go?"

Well, the answer to the first one is of relative simplicity in theory: Don't do it too early, otherwise you might cripple your economy and eventually your enemy would not attack due to the size of your army (it really (trust me on this one) makes a difference how much troops and attack power you can field). So you might never know if he would really have attacked you had you not mobilized. The other side is to mobilize too late (as almost happened with me)- then your troops may be built- but you will not be able to place them strategically efficient- mobilization involves three phases:

1) BUILD your units (depending on size, importance of cities, geographical issues and the kind of technology and ressources available- in contrast to the type of enemy to be encountered)
2) POSITION your units according to the data obtained from the above, and of the availability of units after phase 1- you must establish their objective
3) REEVALUATE availability, number and efficiency of your units in the field and the tasks you have assigned them to in phase two- now you have to monitor their achievements to their objective and- if necessary take corrective action- re-start phase 1 to reinforce action...

In my case I was able to build two turns before the outbreak of war- thus getting the gross ammount of infantry units deliverd one turn before hostilities, and in the turn after- then my ressources were cut and it took many rounds until I could re-establish supply of needed resources to continue building modern military units- even those for drafting (which considerably reduces the probabilities of survival).

"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate." (...) "The prime victory-triad combines Mobility, Flexibility and Initiative"
Col. Corazon Santiago, "Spartan Battle Manual"

Yup that was the only thing still left to transpher/duplicate, had been at cdg for ages and probably been forgotten, but I put it here (discussion welcomed too) now, for the strategy forum at CDG is comming to an end- ... hmm I might send it to Thunderfall for putting it in the Strategy guides section. As you can see I do all sorts of stuff, not merely units...

This was actualy what I did, and the war (against France) and tactics described did take place :D -Cumbersome Av7s and WWI Grenadiers against Modern Armor, Marines and Paratroopers ;)

El Justo said:
doh

i'm guessing it's a modded epic game?

anyway, it's your thread so i s'pose you can post whatever you please ;)

i have some neat modern air tactics stories i could 'prolly share

Only modded thing were some WWI tanks (about 6 or 7 of mine, against dozens of French Modern ones) for all civs and some WWI planes (I had none), also for all civs to have. But yes, an Epic game, of course :) One could say the modding didn't really change much.

Finally here and available, get it here, at my units section (post 5). This one was very tedious to make, so I think it is time for a little victory dance right now. The unit has a few custom sounds cuz I didn't like the "Japanese" grunts...

Note: To all you epic game Ottoman fans, WWII-Scenario experts and What-if-World builders- here is your genuine Turkish Rifleman Soldier as appeared in the period of WWII.

"Turkey’s Neutrality in World War II
At the start of World War II, Turkey was bound to Britain and France by the Tripartite Alliance of October 1939, but declared itself a non-belligerent on June 26, 1940, shortly after the French surrender to Germany. Adolf Hitler established the terms of Germany’s observance of Turkish neutrality in a letter to President Inonu in March 1941, at the time the German forces invaded Yugoslavia and moved through Bulgaria to crush Greece.

The inviolability of Turkey’s frontier would be guaranteed and German troops
would be allowed no closer than 20 miles from the Bulgarian-Turkish border. The German-Turkish Treaty of Friendship of June 18, 1941, confirmed these guarantees of the integrity of the Turkish borders and added the mutual undertaking to make no hostile action, directly or indirectly, against each other... During the World War II Turkey exported scarce chrome ore to Germany, where the valuable mineral was in short supply."

While never entering WWII and (at its end at least formaly dealing with the Allies), historicaly pro-Axis Turkey, was a significant power factor in the superb strategic position of guarding the "Gate towards Asia" in between the warring World Powers, yet seemingly too weak to openly venture towards either side. What if with a German success in Africa the Turkish Republic had joined the Axis powers to draw Allied forces onto new battlefields, the resource-rich Bosporus and Anatolia, thus harmfuly threatening the weakly defended British supply lines between Asia and Africa, outflanking the Western Allies in aid of Rommel's 'Afrika Korps'? Or perhaps Turky would yield the key for a successfull Axis campaign against oil-rich Soviet Caucasus. Get this unit and find out ;) Njoy!

Finally here and available, get it here, at my units section (post 5). This one was very tedious to make, so I think it is time for a little victory dance right now. The unit has a few custom sounds cuz I didn't like the "Japanese" grunts...

he looks like MC Hammer :mischief:

well done!

Thank you mate. You should see it in the other directions :lol: in one or two it looks as if he'd be mocking at the enemy, shaking his hips and all.

Btw. is there a turkish person in the house? Seriously, I am still hoping to get some turkish military voice sounds (which some Turkish friend of mine promised about one year ago before he dissapeared into the limbo- or maybe he just went on a trip through the old part of Istanbul and got lost).

Edit: (Couldn't resist, or, as one could say it):
> > >Conchita knows the Mambo :D < < <

HUEEEPAAA!!!
Un, dos, trés- y un pasito pa'lante María
un dos trés- y un pasito pa'tras.
... one, two- Chachacha- dame más Gasolíííínaaaaa!!!!

now that is quite a two-step there ole chap!!

on second thought, it looks like those old 'swivel-action' GI Joe figures from back in the '80s...:lol:

TCW will now be more enjoyable when a "Turkish Infantry - Postwar" wins a battle!

Hey, did you ever do/plan to do a Thai Infantry? Just wondering...Mostly want it for a flavor unit at the moment.

bombshoo said:
Hey, did you ever do/plan to do a Thai Infantry? Just wondering...Mostly want it for a flavor unit at the moment.
can do, though I wouldn't know what they'd look like (for WWI I got an Indochina Infantry planned- will take some "Thaime" tho till I'm done with my WWII stuff)

are you looking for a WWI or a WWII unit? pictures, best in colour or with a colour guidance of uniforms help a lot, btw...

I am taking a little detour from my proyect to finish a unit I fell in love with long time ago but that had to wait (and would normaly have had to wait even longer). Everyone may however been looking forward to something refreshingly different for a change.

Top Bottom