Come on England!

Wayne Rooney i the best player in the tournament and is the top goal score of the whole competition.

Do you think England can win against Portugal on Thurday and the whole tournament hopefully? :p

Wayne Rooney. :goodjob:

One of the things that I both hate and enjoy about English football is that according to the media we are either wonderful world beaters or hopeless. At the moment we are on a euphoric wave and there is little sense of perspective.

Clear;ly England are a match for any team in the competition.

Can they beat Portugal. yes.

Can they win the tournamanet. Yes - but four or five other sides could equally well say the same thing.

I think this tournaent is pretty open. No team has looked markedly superior. All teams have weaknesses. In the end, like most big games, it will be decided by the shot that is deflected or the penalty given/not given.

Yep Col is correct, we might just win against Portugal but we will have to earn it.

I publicly (and as my first post in sports) pledge my alleigance to France.

Absolutely

MrPresident said:
We're the Englishmen who don't read the tabloids. You know, the guys seating in leather chairs drinking port and saying "quite" and "indeed" a lot.
With public school education and rather extravagant sexual fetishes?

You're indeed quite right in pointing out the difference between the beer drinking, tabloid reading, pub brawl loving Englishman of the Wayne Rooney type and the five-o'clock tea loving, Times reading Englishman of the Horace type.
But isn't what unifies them the extreme overestimation of their sports teams and in fact also their army and their country's stand in the world in general?

i can't get so excited over a football match anymore, i want them to win obviously and i can remember where i was when

1) they lost on penalties in Italia 92 (drunk in a pub in Braintree, Essex)
2) and in Euro 96 (student accomodation in Greenwich, London),
3) lost to Argentina (bar in Zürich)
4) lost to Brazil (midsummer celebration in Sweden, btw happy Midsummer celebrations for this coming weekend)

it's just that either age has mellowed me or the fact that my work has taken me all over Europe so that all of my friends are now not English. I already in this championship have felt soft spots towards Switzerland, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark because of friends/workmates and for me it makes it more worthwhile watching

however if they win it, great bonus :)

Port? Yuk! :confused:

Anway... *rar, sog smash!*

It's a very tight tournament. England have a long history of being robbed by disalowed goals and so forth. I feel it's impossible to predict the remaining games with any accuracy.

stormbind said:
Port? Yuk! :confused:

Anway... *rar, sog smash!*

It's a very tight tournament. England have a long history of being robbed by disalowed goals and so forth. I feel it's impossible to predict the remaining games with any accuracy.
==

==

Well one thing's for sure, I can predict your lot wont win it ! :)
and btw when was the last time you were robbed by a disallowed goal ?

Hitro said:
With public school education and rather extravagant sexual fetishes?
Public school is a level above us, or at least me. That's for people with double-barrel names that are pronounced completely different to how their spelt.

You're indeed quite right in pointing out the difference between the beer drinking, tabloid reading, pub brawl loving Englishman of the Wayne Rooney type and the five-o'clock tea loving, Times reading Englishman of the Horace type.
But isn't what unifies them the extreme overestimation of their sports teams and in fact also their army and their country's stand in the world in general?[/QUOTE]
Not at all. The Horace-type of Englishman knows his country is no longer the greatest in the world at anything. In fact, the vast majority of their quips will probably be about this. That is not to say that they think their country is the worst, simply that we at a level below the best but above France.
Originally posted by Dell19
I haven't read any sort of newspaper for a while now...
Okay, we're the Englishmen who don't watch any of the many 'world's worst...' shows on ITV.

MrPresident said:
Public school is a level above us, or at least me. That's for people with double-barrel names that are pronounced completely different to how their spelt.

uh oh i go to a public school :blush:

well since their are so many people who are looking at England logically for once i feel that isomeone must go over the top and why not me :D I think we can win and do hope we can win we have got a lot of potnential espesially in Rooney and if Owen and Beckham come good dureing the tournement then we will have an excelent chance of winning it i also heard on the Radio today that England are 2nd favorites to win it according ot the betting shops

ainwood said:
So change your name to supper-salmon then. :)

i do seem to be getting to that stage. When ever i send letters of i always put ESQ after my name instead of MR at the front :p

Suppersalmon said:
i do seem to be getting to that stage. When ever i send letters of i always put ESQ after my name instead of MR at the front :p
If you wear a cap/hat as part of your school uniform as well then you so deserve a slap.

MrPresident said:
If you wear a cap/hat as part of your school uniform as well then you so deserve a slap.

My school used to wear hats but that was quite some time ago...

This from north of the border:

Mon the Portuguese!!! Get intae them!!!!

Seriously, I cannae wait to see Figo and the rest of the men 'o war against your backline. Remember Euro 2000??? And I hope that Clive Tyldelsey has a heart attack as the "past it" Figo rams home the fifth!!! Same goes for Big Des.

Top Bottom