Play order:

Zoot Horn Rollo [0] (am/pm) Huayna / Portuguese
bjarkekr [+1] (am/pm) {Asoka} / {Babylon}
. . . / / conquered 1470ad / / . . . Aeonian.Lion [-5] () Hatshepsut / Egypt
Gpcii [-5] (can vary) Roosevelt / Mali
Chasbolt [-5] (am/pm) Justinian / {Byzantium}
Cutlass [-5] (am/pm) Louis XIV / Holy Roman Empire
. . . / / retired 825 bc / / . . . Cutlass [-5] (am/pm) Alexander / Celts
. . . / / conquered 1872ad / / . . . Dogboy [-5] (am/pm) {Qin Shi Huang} / {Zulu}
. . . / / conquered 1625ad / / . . . ricketyclik [+10] (pm+) {Willem van Oranje} / {Khmer}

[gmt]
{random assignment}
(play times)

Cutlass replaced Calanthian ad350
Aeonian.Lion replaced Paradigm Shifter ad1030

You are all required to register for pbemtracker, to enable its use by those what wants it.
Then you have a choice of how to provide me with a gps.
1) Use pbemtracker
2) Use Ruff Hi's emailer
3) Post gps in thread.

I am told (1) can be mixed with the others, so please take your pick.

First turns:
50 - 100 days ( Sep 22 +25 holiday)
100 - 215 ( Jan 22 + 32 holiday)
150 - 309 (Apr 25 + 32 holiday )
200 - 454 (Oct 11 + 57 holiday )
250 - 562 (Jan 30 + 60 holiday )
300 - 665 (May 18 + 65 holiday)

Invite only, to people with track record on turnaround - and therefore I'm expecting cycle in two days max.

Huge, fractal, normal speed....was original idea...

Map: Big and Small:... Snaky Continents - Islands Mixed In
Size: Huge
Climate: Temperate
SeaLevel: Normal
Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
WorldWrap: Cylindrical
Resources: Standard

Advanced Start: ON 440 gold scales to 396 in game

No City Razing: off/default
No City Flipping: off/default
City Flipping After Conquest: off/default
No Barbs: off/default
Raging Barbs: off/default
Aggressive AI: on

Random Leaders: ON
Random Tribes: ON
Random Personality: off/default
Choose Religion: off/default
No Tech Trading: on (= Tech Trading not allowed ....)
No Tech Brokering: on (= Tech Trading not allowed ....)

Victories: (All on/default)
----------
Time = on/default
Conquest = on/default
Domination = on/default
Cultural = on/default
Space Race = on/default
Diplomatic = off

Maximise number of tribes to 18 by filling slots with ai
Therefore,
Difficulty: Monarch

Bold black is a done deal.
Red implies some level of disagreement - ie different people suggest different things
Normal print implies default, because no suggestions so far.

Count me in, thanks for the invite.

At the moment I have 5 indications of interest, which would make 6 of us in total.

I'll summarise options requested for discussion here:

So far we have request for
- 'Big & Small' map option
- advanced start - classical

Do you get free buildings in classical starts? Because that makes settlers more expensive in BtS.

I'm happy to play, thanks for the invite!

I'd prefer a normal start (as that's all I've played so far) & would like to recommend quick speed.

With the amount of players you want and a 2 day turnaround, it will take a very long time to get going at normal speed.

With an advanced start, you may need to shrink the map size, as PS is correct in saying that settlers become much more expensive the further advanced you start it.

I played quick speed once, and confess I found it faintly obscene that even the most modest towns were pumping out a modern armour per turn in the late game. I personally think that a bit too frenetic. Then again, I used to only play Epic, so my scales may be tilted somewhat...

As regard the other stuff, I'm currently trying to gather a collection of those interested before pursuing the options in greater detail, but any input is good.

I can see what you mean, but we have to bear something in mind.

With a turn every 2 days as the ideal pace, and assuming that stays consistent for a whole year, we will only be around Turn 180. At normal speed & starting from scratch, we will still have quite a way to go until the end after a year of playing, and that's without the possibility of delays.

I know that quick speed has its 'unrealistic' issues, but its the most practical speed for a game of this size.

If we were looking at a turn a day playing speed, it would be easier to get away with it, but we would need to cap the numbers most likely!

(You should all now have an email about game options)

On the Map front, I originally said Fractal because I like an unexpected layout.

However, I have started several fractals, only to find that the randomiser too often thinks that Pangaia is a good random layout.

I'll come clean, I don't like Pangaia because I played it too often.
Someone suggested Big and Small map, which I like the sound of as it seems to be randomish, and guaranteed non-Pangaia.

Also, someone wants to turn off diplo and space race victories.
Turning off Diplo I have no personal problem with.
If you can achieve a Space Race victory with Tech trading off, more power to you I think..

As regards the start we have one vote for Classical (but not Advanced - no money to spend).
I sense we have votes for Ancient start, but also some think the start is too slow, and an extra settler or warrior would make the first month more interesting. So perhaps Ancient with a small amount of cash to spend. - I assume this should be debated vigorously......

Another big question - how many ai...
(Damn I forgot to include this in the email....)
Currently two votes for maximising tribes with ai.
Normally there are 18 slots at the start, so with currently 10 of us, that would leave 8 ai.
I also found in the past, that somehow a 19th ai tribe snuck in there, although not requested or possible...

Someone also mentioned altering the way the world is wrapped - cylindrical / toroidal?
- "no Pangaea, geographical barriers make the game interesting Take a look at a Mirror, inversion, snake continents and cylindrical map > advantage of similar chances, but doesn't feel like mirror"
I'm not familiar with these options, so leave it to you to discuss..

Curious why Tech trading in PBEM games is considered a "no-no". This will only be my second PBEM game, but that seems to be the rule of thumb from what I have noticed.

I usually play ancient start, I do not mind a later start depending on what my civ is and its "SU/SB".

Curious why Tech trading in PBEM games is considered a "no-no". This will only be my second PBEM game, but that seems to be the rule of thumb from what I have noticed.

I usually play ancient start, I do not mind a later start depending on what my civ is and its "SU/SB".

Whoever first gets Alphabet, then Currency, usually cleans up by being a tech whore with the ai.

Mirror, inversion, snake continents and cylindrical map

Below are 3 screenshots of 3 different maps with these settings..

1)

2)

3)

Top Bottom