Science Discussion 2S31

Strider

In Retrospect
According to this poll the manufacturing option won overwhelmingly (is that even a word?). Yeah... I think it's a word.

Okay anyway... the purpose of this thread.

Were researching mining (which will be done in one turn), if I had known the short time beforehand, I would have got this up as soon as I found out I won the election, but remembering the past has been suicidal for me... so let's not go there.

So, we have to put our head together (and try not to knock acouple of us out) and figure out what our next research is. So, sober up, put yourself in a good mood (I would prefer not to know how you do this), and discuss!

Masonry or Bronze Working? (or any other option for our next research.. hell.. if you want to research Railroads next.. go on and say so. Don't expect me to add that to the poll though).

Once we get our next research up and decided on, I'll get discussion going on a short, mid, and long term queue... so were not in a rush again.

You may visit the Ministry of Science HQ here.

Masonry, then bronze

I strongly support Bronze Working as the immediate goal. Those Mongol Hordes are way too close for comfort. If we are lucky enough to have bronze nearby then we can counter the Mongols even if they get the horses.

The intermediate goal depends on two unknowns. If we manage to plant our city at the choke point and get the horses (don't have map memorized, this might require two cities) then not having bronze isn't a killer. In that case we can entertain just about any next tech after BW. If we don't have bronze or manage to obtain the horses, then we are forced to go for Iron Working and Archery -- flexible at this point on which order.

Bronze Working first. We have no marble or stone in our vicinity. (This is the last I knew, I can't tell on the updated screenshots as resource locators are not turned on.)

If you want more reasoning, I posted a detailed report back in Blkbird's Strategy Discussion #2 thread, linked HERE.

Sigma said:
Bronze Working first. We have no marble or stone in our vicinity. (This is the last I knew, I can't tell on the updated screenshots as resource locators are not turned on.)

If you want more reasoning, I posted a detailed report back in Blkbird's Strategy Discussion #2 thread, linked HERE.

Noted, and thought about enough as to wonder why you didn't run as Science Minister? You would've done a good job.

Strider said:
Noted, and thought about enough as to wonder why you didn't run as Science Minister? You would've done a good job.
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. ;)

Truth is, I never intended to run for a position last term - I wanted another month to gain respect, and a place in this community. But when I was nominated for Secretary of State, I just couldn't turn it down.

To me it makes a big difference on how long our settler will take to finish. I know we have a selected target area for him to go but I slight variation of one or two squares could put him in range of copper.

So therefore, if our settler will be completed before bronze working then we could pick up a quicker tech. If however bronze working research will be finished before the settler then go for it first.

Bare in mind that I havent actually won this blasted game yet on anything higher than Noble...quit laughing. :crazyeye:

robboo said:
To me it makes a big difference on how long our settler will take to finish. I know we have a selected target area for him to go but I slight variation of one or two squares could put him in range of copper.

So therefore, if our settler will be completed before bronze working then we could pick up a quicker tech. If however bronze working research will be finished before the settler then go for it first.

The settler will come out in about 13 turns, BW in about 22 if we do it right after mining.

Strider, I think that we should go for Bronze Working in any case - it's essential for our economics, our future city placement, etc., regardless of whether we're able to settle the chokepoint and its Horses or not. Everyone else's arguments in this regard are sound, and I'd like to echo Sigma's experience in another thread with regard to getting BW early: I find it provides essential flexibility.

Depending on how the rush for the chokepoint goes and whether or not there is copper (especially in our home peninsula), I'd say we should think about Hunting/Archery or Mysticism/Meditation.

I posted a poll over this topic here. Everyone seems to be leaning towards Bronze working anyway, so I decided to end the discussion early.

Also, I most apologize. In a lapse of thought, I forgot to post the data that is required to make a decision on this topic (namely, the amount of turns untill completed). It won't happen again.

Beeline to Monotheism !!!

Top Bottom